Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: That last Name that is always on your teams roster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just about every high school in the Commonwealth has at least one player every year with a last name that has been around since the Harding administration, maybe longer.

Any school in Floyd County will have a Hall or Slone.
Magoffin County will have a Howard, Risner or Arnett.
Pikeville will have an Akers.
Shelby Valley will have a Justice or a Mullins.
Sheldon Clark will have a Stepp, Newsome or Muncy.
Johnson Central will have a Salyer, Caudill or Vanhoose.

So let's hear it, what are the last Names your team has been announcing for years & years & years.
Whitley County always has a Lawson.
Clay and Leslie both always have Sizemores
Letcher- Adams
Bell co seems to always have a Collett Brock and Robbins.
Seems like Hazard always has an Ollinger.
Pikeville always seems to have a Coleman, or Justice.
Belfry always has a Dotson AND a Varney....
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Just about every high school in the Commonwealth has at least one player every year with a last name that has been around since the Harding administration, maybe longer.

Any school in Floyd County will have a Hall or Slone.
Magoffin County will have a Howard, Risner or Arnett.
Pikeville will have an Akers.
Shelby Valley will have a Justice or a Mullins.
Sheldon Clark will have a Stepp, Newsome or Muncy.
Johnson Central will have a Salyer, Caudill or Vanhoose.

So let's hear it, what are the last Names your team has been announcing for years & years & years.
Can't forget the Branhams at Pikeville. Also can't forget The Newsomes at Valley
The Shelby Valley area has a ton of Johnson's and Tackett's.
Olinger at Hazard trumps anything you all can come up with. It is insane.
Johnson Central had a Dillon on the roster from 2005-2013.
Dennis & Nate are brothers and I believe Josh iss a first cousin.

Dennis 2005-2008
Nate 2007-2010
Josh 2010-2013
Breathitt always has a White, Neace, Strong, and Collins. Several excellent players from each family.
Van Hagar Wrote:Clay and Leslie both always have Sizemores

Sizemore's are every where in eastern Kentucky. They spread like kudzu.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Olinger at Hazard trumps anything you all can come up with. It is insane.

This years team is the first time without a Olinger since 1990 that I know of. My dad says its the first time since the early 80's.
I do know there are some olingers at Hazard Middle school right now so it wont go too long without one.
Seems like there are Chapman's scattered out all over the mountains.
Belfry- Dotson, Varney, Hatfield (rarely a McCoy though)

Pikeville- Branham and Charles

Johnson Central- Dillon and Salyer.. Dillon is always a RB it seems

Pburg- Always a Sloan

Hazard- Olinger every single dang year... I halfway think they make a guy change his name kind of like the Texas A&M 12th Man

Harlan County- Cornett

Shelby Valley- Guaranteed to have a Tackett and/or Newsome

Newport Central Catholic- Sutkamp...and he is always a monster on Defense.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry- Dotson, Varney, Hatfield (rarely a McCoy though)

Pikeville- Branham and Charles

Johnson Central- Dillon and Salyer.. Dillon is always a RB it seems

Pburg- Always a Sloan

Hazard- Olinger every single dang year... I halfway think they make a guy change his name kind of like the Texas A&M 12th Man

Harlan County- Cornett

Shelby Valley- Guaranteed to have a Tackett and/or Newsome

Newport Central Catholic- Sutkamp...and he is always a monster on Defense.

That's because the Hatfields are from WV and the McCoys are from KY.:biggrin:
Sorry, it just jumped out at me.:devilflam
jetpilot Wrote:That's because the Hatfields are from WV and the McCoys are from KY.:biggrin:
Sorry, it just jumped out at me.:devilflam

Pikeville has went 23 straight years with a Branham on their roster and a branham has yet to pay a single dollar in City Tax though Big Grin
Madison Southern usually always has a Sipple.
Olinger is synonymous with Hazard athletics.

And they're all good too lol
Not sure about Boyle but I don't think we've ever played a team from the mountains that didn't have a Thacker on it..
I would say kirby and saylor for rockcastle. I fill like almost every kid on waynes team is a garner, and Until this year Knox allways has a barger and canady.
wolfcat Wrote:Breathitt always has a White, Neace, Strong, and Collins. Several excellent players from each family.

The most prominent names associated with Breathitt Football are White, Collins, Haddix, Chapman, Turner, Moore, Noble, Combs and Fugate. My memory is getting bad, so who were some players that played for Breathitt with the last name of Strong and Neace?
Cat Daddy Wrote:The most prominent names associated with Breathitt Football are White, Collins, Haddix, Chapman, Turner, Moore, Noble, Combs and Fugate. My memory is getting bad, so who were some players that played for Breathitt with the last name of Strong and Neace?

Stacy is a name that always seems to be hanging around as well
For as long as I can remember there has always been a MOrris associated with Mayfield football regardless if it was a player or coach
You can't sling a decent-sized used chaw east of I-75 without hitting a Brock or a Sizemore (lots of Lawsons, too). Some programs/names I associate, though:

Bell County - Collett, Hoskins, Miracle

Corbin - Jackson, Rose, Taylor

Middlesboro - Bowling, Fuson, Williams

Pineville - Howard, Madon, Woolum

Somerset - Newell, Perkins, Prather