Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russellville 81 Paintsville 79
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Vanhoose 20 pts
Grim, Slone and Ferguson with 15 pts. each
odd for slone not to at least have 20.
504 boy Wrote:odd for slone not to at least have 20.

Landon didn't have his best tonight and I am sure he knows it. He still played extremely hard as did all the Tigers. This was a very good game and was very physical.
Paintsville played a lot better tonight than they did last night. Got off to a real slow start and Russellville went on an early 7-0 run. Paintsville battled back to have a 2 point lead with about 30 seconds left in the first half. Then an unguarded player connected on 2 threes to give R-ville a 44-40 halftime lead. I thought that is what made the difference in the game. Also, left one of Russellville's big men open in the middle of the lane all night and he made them pay. Van had a good first half but couldn't get it going in the second. The way the game ended was how it should have, a last second shot. JD VanHoose hit a 3 to tie it with 8 seconds left and called a TO. Russellville drove the court dished it to a guy at the free throw line and he bobbled it, then heaved it up for the winner. Great game, probably the best one yet of the Hoops Classic. Russellville is very big, fast, and athletic. The dunks that were displayed by them in warmups were solid. Paintsville played them better than I thought they would after last nights display. Nothing to hang your heads about, get after Tech tomorrow.
Sounds like a good game. I heard Russellville was going to be tough. I am concerned though with the times I have watched the Tigers this year about the extreme number of outside shots they take! I love the Three---don't get me wrong. Am just concerned that they make themselves too one dimensional. I know the Tigers don't have a true "big man" down low---but still need to look for a least a few shots in the paint---if for no other reason than to open up the outside game more. Just an observation!
A good one too firetub, I believe at one point Paintsville took 8 3's in a row. When they worked it around the perimeter and dished it down low, thats where they done their most damage. Like you said they live and die by the 3. If they start working it down low then they will start to defeat teams more handidly. Not saying they would've won tonight if they done that, but it sure wouldn't have hurt them any.
This was a very well played game which had alot of exciting action. This was the only game I have seen in the hoops classic, and I picked a good one to see! But I was hoping Paintsville would pull it out in the end, they played tough and no one deserved to lose this game. Congrats R-ville.
Paintsville needs to learn how to guard people. If they want to win the region they need to defend alot better.
Anytime a team can hold Landon under 20pts they'll win 90% of the time, they must have really concentrated on him on D. Jerrell Mayo from Russellville is the most underrated player in the state, he had DI ability and could be a top 10 player in the state...jmo
Great game it sounds like...wish I could be in attendence for this one.
BlacK_ClaW Wrote:Great game it sounds like...wish I could be in attendence for this one.

You were, weren't you?
Paintsville needs to step it up on the defensive side of the ball. Need to move around more on the offensive side, set ball screens, basketcuts etc, too many 3 balls bein shot. WHEN (and it was rare) Paintsville ran set plays they worked, but they hardly set anything up. While watching Russellville in warm-ups I didn't think Paintsville had a chance, R-ville was much bigger, faster, more athletic, but Paintsville played em tough. Two things I still can't get over, after JD hit the game tying 3 we called a TO instead of lettin the clock run. The other being, when R-ville broke P-ville's press, NONE of P-villes players got back on D. IDK, hope they come out tonight and play hard and not overlook Brew Tech.
Moe Wrote:Anytime a team can hold Landon under 20pts they'll win 90% of the time, they must have really concentrated on him on D. Jerrell Mayo from Russellville is the most underrated player in the state, he had DI ability and could be a top 10 player in the state...jmo

Well tonight must have been one of those 10% nights. Lando only had 8 Points! And they won!!!
This was a very good game to watch. I loved the effort. Good luck the rest of the season to both teams.
Russellville is a very talented ballclub. Paintsville played good on offense, just not so well on defense or rebounding. Grimm got after it, he's the spark for PHS. If there's a loose ball, he's diving for it, and battling down low for rebounds or buckets, IMO he's the most consistent player that Paintsville has.
CONGRATS TO THE TIGERS ON A GOOD EFFORT!!

On any given night, any of the Tigers can hurt you and that is what makes them so hard to beat. But I'd have to say that while Landon is the most athletic, Grimm is the most consistent player. But any of the starting 5 or even Meade can be the spark on a given night. Was impressed with Bundy tonight. He hurt R-ville many times and limited his mistakes (but he still had his moments of course). After a close game like this one, you look back and remember the bad decisions and the missed FT's and so on. But the Tigers played well and they deserve a lot of credit to have been in the game with R-ville. But R-ville did seem to always be a step ahead of the Tigers tonight and deserved the win. But I'd like to have seen that last second shot fall so that the Tigers could have advanced.
Paintsville and shelby valley are on track for a showdown in the regional tourney. That's my prediction right now!!
Redneck Wrote:Paintsville needs to step it up on the defensive side of the ball. Need to move around more on the offensive side.

That is a good observation because they do need to play better D. They seemed to have a lot of success in this game going underneath. There was a spurt of several Bundy to Vanhoose passes that JD put up under the basket that worked really well. Was glad to see the Tigers taking it to the hoop more.

Better D would make them a lot tougher. I've never seen a team that could blow a 10 point lead so quickly, but then go back up 10 later.
OffTheHook Wrote:Well tonight must have been one of those 10% nights. Lando only had 8 Points! And they won!!!
Really, who steped up big tonight??