Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Before the cell phone & internet...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What did you value?

How did you do things then vs. now?

What do you miss? What would you do differently?

lot of ???s I know but intriguing ones at that....have fun with it! :Thumbs:
Our house connected to the internet in December 1999.... I was 14.
Not sure when we got our first cell phone, but it was around the summer of 1996.

A BIG difference I can tell now vs. then is the absence of VHS tapes, DVD's, CD's.

Another MAJOR MAJOR difference I can tell is the way google has made people 'smarter' and an argument or debate can be ended in a few seconds.
Spirit100 Wrote:What did you value?

Not taking anything away from Coach Haywood, but faith, family and football....basketball, too!

How did you do things then vs. now?

Slower!

What do you miss?

When I was young, families in our neighborhood would walk around in the evening and just visit other folks. There was always somebody breaking up beans to can, or shucking corn, etc....we would just dive in and help. And vice-versa, too. I miss that community support that was taken for granted years ago!

What would you do differently?

I'm not sure I would do anything differently. If you could time travel, think of all the things you would change if you did one little bitty thing differently. I have loved my life and I still love living it. So, just go forward.

lot of ???s I know but intriguing ones at that....have fun with it! :Thumbs:

What about you Spirit??
I didnt have a cell phone or Internet until my junior year of high school and even then there was no social media and nobody texted.
What I valued was talking to females in person and being rejected to my face instead of over an Internet message. Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:What about you Spirit??

I don't miss pagers, 10 ft long phone cords, a pocket full of quarters to make sales calls at a road side pay phone...

I do miss not being so accessible and the value of face-to-face communication. We take that for such granted now vs. then. There's a lot to be said for "reading" people and communicating face-to-face.

Language by itself was an art form. Not so much anymore. I couldn't agree more with Granny on the importance and the value in getting together with family, friends, neighbors, or even co-workers around some event that brought us together. Folks took turns sharing stories or reporting the news of their lives. And people benefited from it.

Now we have a large generation of texters and tweeters who talk in abbreviated english who yes struggle to communicate effectively with others because of the lack of face-to-face.

My value system hasn't changed much at all. I will say that I don't get together as much as I should with family and friends because I too have used cell phones as a crutch to pack more "busy stuff" into an already overloaded schedule.

Greater access has resulted in busier schedules and folks becoming more spread thin! I'm literally in the process of limiting access and keeping myself accountable to weekly hours to get re-connected with others face-to-face. I'm going to become the change I want to see...please excuse my "Bruce Almighty" movie quote!

Confusednicker:

Thoughts?
Granny, do you still miss your old phone..... :-)

[Image: 309px-Tel%C3%A9fono_de_cordel_(1882).jpg]
How can you miss something that you still have???
Spirit100 Wrote:I don't miss pagers, 10 ft long phone cords, a pocket full of quarters to make sales calls at a road side pay phone...

I do miss not being so accessible and the value of face-to-face communication. We take that for such granted now vs. then. There's a lot to be said for "reading" people and communicating face-to-face.

Language by itself was an art form. Not so much anymore. I couldn't agree more with Granny on the importance and the value in getting together with family, friends, neighbors, or even co-workers around some event that brought us together. Folks took turns sharing stories or reporting the news of their lives. And people benefited from it.

Now we have a large generation of texters and tweeters who talk in abbreviated english who yes struggle to communicate effectively with others because of the lack of face-to-face.

My value system hasn't changed much at all. I will say that I don't get together as much as I should with family and friends because I too have used cell phones as a crutch to pack more "busy stuff" into an already overloaded schedule.

Greater access has resulted in busier schedules and folks becoming more spread thin! I'm literally in the process of limiting access and keeping myself accountable to weekly hours to get re-connected with others face-to-face. I'm going to become the change I want to see...please excuse my "Bruce Almighty" movie quote!

Confusednicker:

Thoughts?

My now almost 12 y/o son noticed a payphone for the first time a couple of years ago at a rest stop and then he started asking me questions why there was a phone outside. I could not get him to understand that cell phones did not always exist and we had to pay money to talk on phones. He thought it was the craziest thing he had ever heard of.
Before cell phones we did have a 10 foot cord and it was a party line. I spent most of my time baling hay , feeding the cows and slopping the hogs. Man tech sure has changed things for the worse. I thought those days were awful. Boy would I love to go back.
I still got an old rotary phone.
I called an 800 number recently and it said 'press 1 for touch tone phone'.... I thought, who on earth still has a rotary phone?

Question Answered.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Our house connected to the internet in December 1999.... I was 14.
Not sure when we got our first cell phone, but it was around the summer of 1996.

A BIG difference I can tell now vs. then is the absence of VHS tapes, DVD's, CD's.

Another MAJOR MAJOR difference I can tell is the way google has made people 'smarter' and an argument or debate can be ended in a few seconds.

My first 'internet' was Strawberry Patch bulletin board. Probably about 1989-1990. You took your phone, laid it down on a 'reciever modem'... and dialed the number yourself. It then communicated by sound. I had a download speed of about 60-80 bytes per second. I could download 'dig-dug' in about an hour. Today, I can download forza motorsports 6 in about the same time.

Who can forget the 10 hours free AOL cd's that you got in the mail 3 or 4 times a week? then it went to 20, then 50, and finally up to 500 hours.

Anyways.... its safe to say, the world has changed. Some say for the worse, myself for the better. The internet and cell phone have increased productivity and increased GDP probably more so than any other inventions.
[YOUTUBE="Kids React to a Rotary Phone"]XkuirEweZvM[/YOUTUBE]