Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Elkhorn City Cougar Classic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The annual Cougar Classic starts tomorrow at Elkhorn City and the number of good teams has increased this year. As far as I know one pool has Dorton, Elkhorn, Kimper, and Mullins while the other has Pikeville, Virgie, and Martha Jane Potter. The pool with only 3 teams is much stronger, but I was told it was worked out that way to meet demands of when teams could play. The games will be played Wednesday through Saturday. The winners of each pool will meet in the championship on Saturday. Glad to see better competition this year. Most years it is only EC and Dorton, but with Pikeville, Virgie, and Martha Jane the tournament should be much more fun this year. Pikeville should be the favorite by quite a bit, but I look for some competitive games between the other teams.
Dorton Wildcat, keep us posted on the outcomes of the games. Does indeed sound like a great tourney to be!
In the first game, Dorton defeated Mullins 65-39. The Wildcats shot very well from behind the 3 point line hitting 10.

In the second game, Dorton defeated Elkhorn 37-35 in an exciting game.

The tournament continues tomorrow with Pikeville, Virgie, and Martha Jane Potter playing 2 games each. Each team will play the other 2 in their pool.
WOW, can you say in the zone shooting wise. Congrats Wildcats and the best of luck throughout the tourney and season@!
:lmao: im not sure about mary jane potter but im a freshman now and when i was in sixth grade we beat their 8th grade 77-17 and play was stopped in the middle of the third quater bcuz of an injury
Panther Thunder Wrote::lmao: im not sure about mary jane potter but im a freshman now and when i was in sixth grade we beat their 8th grade 77-17 and play was stopped in the middle of the third quater bcuz of an injury

They aren't a great team, but they can hang with anyone in Pike County besides Pikeville and maybe Belfry. They beat Dorton by 8 and Elkhorn by 6 so they definitely are competitive. They have 2 nice players in their point and 2 guards.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:WOW, can you say in the zone shooting wise. Congrats Wildcats and the best of luck throughout the tourney and [email=season@!]season@![/email]

Thanks PLAYBOY5. After looking at the stats, Dorton was 9 for 12 from the 3 point line in the Mullins game. We are definitely down this year, but the boys play their hearts out. As 7th graders they only won 4 games last year, but have already won 8 this year.
did Elkorn not invite Millard or Feds Creek? If not thats a shame because Millard is one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the county and because they are so close.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:did Elkorn not invite Millard or Feds Creek? If not thats a shame because Millard is one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the county and because they are so close.

Nope... Phelps, Millard, Feds Creek or Johns Creek weren't invited.....
I thought someone at EC told me that Millard didn't want to play, but I may be incorrect.

Anyway, tonight EC beat Kimper, Pikeville beat Martha Jane Potter by around 20, Pikeville beat Virgie by 16 or 17, and Martha Jane beat Virgie by around 30, but Virgie played mostly their B team in that game (they didn't dress any of the starters.)

Tomorrow Mullins plays EC, Kimper plays EC, and Dorton plays Kimper.

On Saturday, the 5th place game will be played at 1:00, the 3rd place game at 2:30, and the championship at 4:00. If Dorton beats Kimper tomorrow, they will face Pikeville in the championship game.
I know that Dorton beat Kimper by quite a bit tonight and will play in the championship game tomorrow at 3 against Pikeville.

Good luck Dorton.
Tonight Mullins beat Kimper, Dorton beat Kimper, and EC and Mullins were playing when I left. They changed the game times tomorrow. At 12:00 Virgie plays Mullins, at 1:30 Elkhorn plays Martha Jane Potter, and at 3:00 Dorton plays Pikeville in the championship.
phs1986 Wrote:Nope... Phelps, Millard, Feds Creek or Johns Creek weren't invited.....
thats aweful. 3 local teams not invited? that just plain sucks.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:thats aweful. 3 local teams not invited? that just plain sucks.

What is those 3 teams records?

The best teams from Pike County were in it in Virgie, Dorton, and Pikeville
Don't think so, Millard has only lost 3 games and they beat Dorton.
Millard does have a good team this year, but I was told they were invited and turned down the invitation.
Pikeville defeated Dorton 58-33 in the Cougar Classic championship. Pikeville's pressure defense and passing were way too much for Dorton. These teams play again at Pikeville on Tuesday night.

Good game Panthers. You are an impressive team!
congrats Pikeville
If thats true DortonWildcat, Millard's coach should be fired. They haven't played a game in FOREVER! He is wasting a good team this year, they have a lot of potential.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:thats aweful. 3 local teams not invited? that just plain sucks.

Yea its a shame to see Feds Creek and Millard not invited.