Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tubby Smith/Chris Lofton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok the guy ties a state tournament record for 3's in a game, wins state as a junoir and you dont sign the guy....wow thats about stupid...how do u feel?
Tubby has to totally regret what he said about Lofton, saying he was "a step to slow" and thats why he didnt sign him. Now hes across the state line over at Tennesse tearing teams apart like he did Texas yesterday. Lofton has improved his game 100% since hes been at UT, he used to be a pull up and a spot up shooter, but now he has the penetration part of his game at full speed and is relentless around the basket. He is an outstanding player and I loved watching him playing in Rupp down state. What a performance he put on a few years back!
he has no recruitin talent imean thats so pitty full
And if he would have went to U.K. he might not have been as good as what UT has made him into...
He may not have been as good. May have set behind Rondo, Bradley and Crawford causing him to lose the edge and end up not being as good. He might also be playing so good because he has that chip on his shoulder due to Tubby and Rick both not going after him. The thing is we'll never know and he's at UT and this is an OLD OLD STORY that comes up everytime he does anything. He's not the first or last kid that UK and UL should go after but they don't or won't and they'll end up being good. Thats just part of the game.
But the thing about Lofton is..Well, he does something every game. And uh..Kentucky recruits guys like Obrzut, Bobby Perry, Sheraye Thomas...So I will leave your reply to finish that problem. You can say that they needed size..But I would rather have Lofton at a PF or Center than to have those 3 players combined. I would play with 4 with Lofton before Thomas or Obrzut was my 4 and 5..And I am serious!
I agree I wish we would have gotten Lofton but at the same time we had way to much McDonalds All American talent at his position. If we had gone for him everyone would have wondered why. And with what everyone thought he was he probably wouldn't have gotten the playing time at first and wouldn't have had the chip but only pressure from being Mr. Kentucky and trying to live up to that at Rupp. I wish he was wearing UK blue and doing the same as he is at UT but I truely think if he had gone to UK he wouldn't be doing as well as he is and UT.
both of you (Playboy and Catdawg) have made excellent points, and I agree with both of you. I too agree that one Lofton is better than Obrzut, Perry and Thomas. And I agree that had he gone to UK, he would have nothing to prove. As bad as I hate seeing him in that sickening, horrible orange Tennessee jersey, I am glad that he is doing as well as he is. IMO, I believe he is the best player in the SEC..he is definitely top 5, but possibly the best in the conf....and it would have been an injustice to have him sit behind anybody, and im afraid thats what he would have done had he gone to UK. But, I agree, that Tubby and Rick both missed the boat on Lofton..
Lord yeah he is better than Polock, Perry and Thomas combined. TH32 I agree with you that Lofton is is by far one of the tops in the SEC and even one of the more overlooked and underrated players in the country. He can do it all and has done it againist some quality teams(34 v.s. Memphis and 35 v.s. Texas), Pitino is very stupid for passing him up and Tubby? well hes just stupid.
CatDawg Wrote:He may not have been as good. May have set behind Rondo, Bradley and Crawford causing him to lose the edge and end up not being as good. He might also be playing so good because he has that chip on his shoulder due to Tubby and Rick both not going after him. The thing is we'll never know and he's at UT and this is an OLD OLD STORY that comes up everytime he does anything. He's not the first or last kid that UK and UL should go after but they don't or won't and they'll end up being good. Thats just part of the game.

Very well said
Agreed!
I TOTALLY AGREE!! The really sad thing to this re-occuring recruiting problem is that there are a few KENTUCKY players every year that would die to go to UK and that are good enough to play at UK, but they get snubbed for various reasons. Can't figure that one out. You will rarely ever get a player from out of state that will play with as much heart as a Kentucky player will. Kentucky basketball is more than just a game to the Kentucky players and that combined with talent is worth a lot more than the so called all-americans we get that can't, don't or won't play. John Pelphrey and his team proved that when they played Duke. WE CAN'T LET OUR STATE TALENT GET AWAY!!!
TOTALLY AGREE EKY Sportster. I have stated that same statement to many people. We are getting players that don't know what it means to wear that Kentucky jersey on there chest!
does anyone know how many players were from kentucky on the 96 and 98 teams??? i gurantee its more than they have had the last 3 years
I think back to Loften pointing at the Jersey's in Rupp and shouting that "I want to Play HERE" and then I see the kid go unwanted by Tubby and it makes me sad. Perhaps the 30 he put up against Lex Cath with Brian guarding him and the Mason co crowd chanting "let him play at UK" with Tubby and Mrs Tubby upset them.

But I am happy that Loften went to a school that allows him to play, and develop, wait wasnt he the SEC freshmen of the year and received SEC player of the week before SEC play started last year?

Actually he is where he should be at a school, with a Coach and Program that WANTED him.
At UK he would have been working on his defense so he see the court his junior season.

It was the best thing that could have happened to Loften, it may not be what the Mason co fans, or the UK fans that saw him play wanted, but it was what Tubby wanted.

Let me remind all of you Farmer, Feldhaus, and Pelphrey were not McDonalds all americans Just Kentucky boy's who wanted to play at UK for UK.
I agree!
CatDawg Wrote:I agree I wish we would have gotten Lofton but at the same time we had way to much McDonalds All American talent at his position. If we had gone for him everyone would have wondered why. And with what everyone thought he was he probably wouldn't have gotten the playing time at first and wouldn't have had the chip but only pressure from being Mr. Kentucky and trying to live up to that at Rupp. I wish he was wearing UK blue and doing the same as he is at UT but I truely think if he had gone to UK he wouldn't be doing as well as he is and UT.

Majority of the McDonalds All-Americans are overrated. You are correct though, had he went to UK he probably would have sat the 1st two years behind the boneheads Tubby had out there.
After reading this, I just have to say a couple of things.

First off, hindsight is 20/20. If we all had a crystal ball life would be a little easier don't you think?

Nobody, and I mean nobody knew Lofton would turn out like this. Not Tubby, not Pitino, not Huggins. Nobody knew this.

The only reason he made the Tennessee team was because they had a player that didn't meet eligibility requirements and Lofton was added to the roster in May just to fill out space. If not for that Tennessee player not making the team who knows who would have taken Lofton.

Another thing is this. If Tubby offered Lofton, and that's IF he did. Fans would have rioted in the steets. Half of you people nearly stroke out when Tubby brings in a 2 star player, and I'd be curious to see what would happen with a 0 star recruit coming in like Lofton. People would have been furious.

Also, people in the state of Kentucky had destroyed Tubby for going after two recent Mr. Kentucky Basketballs in Carrier and Stockton. Who can blame him for not wanting to take a BIG chance on Lofton?

Like I said, hindsight 20/20, and I'd like to have Lofton but we don't so I get over it in about less than a second everytime I think about it. Some of you should learn to do the same. If you people saw this one coming with Lofton, then please send some lottery number predictions my way because you're full of it.
alfus21 Wrote:After reading this, I just have to say a couple of things.

First off, hindsight is 20/20. If we all had a crystal ball life would be a little easier don't you think?

Nobody, and I mean nobody knew Lofton would turn out like this. Not Tubby, not Pitino, not Huggins. Nobody knew this.

The only reason he made the Tennessee team was because they had a player that didn't meet eligibility requirements and Lofton was added to the roster in May just to fill out space. If not for that Tennessee player not making the team who knows who would have taken Lofton.

Another thing is this. If Tubby offered Lofton, and that's IF he did. Fans would have rioted in the steets. Half of you people nearly stroke out when Tubby brings in a 2 star player, and I'd be curious to see what would happen with a 0 star recruit coming in like Lofton. People would have been furious.

Also, people in the state of Kentucky had destroyed Tubby for going after two recent Mr. Kentucky Basketballs in Carrier and Stockton. Who can blame him for not wanting to take a BIG chance on Lofton?

Like I said, hindsight 20/20, and I'd like to have Lofton but we don't so I get over it in about less than a second everytime I think about it. Some of you should learn to do the same. If you people saw this one coming with Lofton, then please send some lottery number predictions my way because you're full of it.
you absolutely cannot say something about a thread that isnt sarcastic and trying to make people feel stupid so that tells me that you are full of it

You couldnt be more right.
Alfus, I am going to agree with you on this one. Nice post and I actually see what you are saying and make me actually feel a different way about it because it is true. i will say that besides Mayo, that Lofton has been the best player that I have seen at the state tourney.
I am a UT fan so i'm glad he is their!
The Kentucky Basketball program is washing right down the TUB.
Tubby Smith made an awful choice..

RIGHT ON!
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:The Kentucky Basketball program is washing right down the TUB.

HAHA I agree!
Funny how people against Tubby Smith have absolutely nothing to dispute my arguement with.
You guys cant even remember at the time ky had more guards than they needed anD everybody was hollering WE NEED BIG GUYS.
Ya he may have made a poor choice as we see it, but he has to look at who he had at the time and what he expected they would do on the court this season. Some of you won't like Tubby no matter what, and some of us will like Tubby no matter what.
THUNDERCHILD Wrote:Ya he may have made a poor choice as we see it, but he has to look at who he had at the time and what he expected they would do on the court this season. Some of you won't like Tubby no matter what, and some of us will like Tubby no matter what.
Especially the mountain people wont ever like Tubby.