Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland @ Russell 9/11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thoughts &Predictions
Ashland!!! Should be a very very good game.
Ashland 17-14
If Mckee can play then devils find a way at home with defense that can tackle in space.
More on this game later in the week.
I have a feeling that this game will be packed with fans.
Jeepman Wrote:I have a feeling that this game will be packed with fans.

The extended weather forecast calls for a high of 81 and low of 57 on Friday with no rain. Sounds like it's starting to look like football weather.

Here is a surprising fact...this is the first time since 2005 that these 2 teams have met undefeated coming into the game.

We will find out who the best team in the area (if we exclude Johnson Central from the "area") is this Friday. It should be a good one.
Russell can't catch Baker. Ashland by 14.
Russell wins by 1td but if there quarterback is healthy they win by 2tds Russell to physical
Ashland 35
Russell 21

Confusedinglepar
Russell must contain Baker. If they can hold Baker to 100 yards or less they will win the game. Russell has athletes that play well in space that is why they gave Ironton so much trouble. If McKee is back I think the Devils have to be the favorites.
If Ashland wins this game, and they should even though the game is at Russell, they could be undefeated when they play Johnson Central. I don't mean to imply that Ashland is that good but that their schedule is overall weak. Ironton appears to be average at best and the game is at Ashland. The other rivals are somewhere between very weak and miserably weak. Johnson Central's schedule, with LexCath and Belfrey, is quite a bit more demanding.

But, since Ashland has Johnson Central at home, who knows?:eyeroll:
The Tomkittens schedule is actually pretty tough.
Baker is a difference maker. He alone makes them better than average teams
E's Army Wrote:Russell can't catch Baker. Ashland by 14.

Couldn't catch him last yeR either and you see how that worked out.
Ashland
Baker will be the best player on the field just like he was last year and has 4.29 speed. Russell found a way to contain him and kept him from taking over the game. If Baker gets in the open TD. Russell has Conley who has no where near the speed of Baker but in every other area is just as good. I don't know if McKee can go for Russell but it will be a different game if he can't. I for one see him going. He is one tough kid.
Here Kitty Kitty.
Is the Truth moving to EKY he seems to have a lot interest in the area.
If he's a Highlands fan he's got bigger concerns than this area.
Does McKee want to play against Ashland? YES! Will McKee make a difference in the outcome? YES! Is the smart thing to do is rest him for district play where it counts in the long run? IMO yes! It really depends on the severity of his ankles. Both seem banged up. Jacob is tough as nails though. We will have to wait and see.
FBALL Wrote:If he's a Highlands fan he's got bigger concerns than this area.

You are correct there. FTH is down and, if in the same class, would likely lose to Johnson Central this year. Even Ashland would be a reasonably close win.

You boys are too suspicious. I was trying to pay Ashland a realistic compliment. Their schedule lends itself to a possible unbeaten confrontation with Johnson Central. Personally, I have relatives living in the metro Flatwoods area who are big supporters of the Red Devils so I hope I am wrong and that Russell prevails.
I guess we will just have to turn the sprinklers on Baker. That might slow him down.
This ones a toss up. I'll take Ashland in a game that comes down to the wire.
ashland
Ashland - 33

Russell - 28
This game is a toss up, but I think Ashland wins in a close one.
This is a big game for Russell if you are looking at the rankings. Russell being #6 in 3-A and Ashland at #3 in 4-A. Russell will have to play a perfect game to beat the Tom kittens if McKee cannot go and a great game if he can go. Russell will need to control the ball with long drives that take time off the clock. If we can limit Baker to 150 yards I think we will be right in the game. Russell must contain Baker just like they did last year. He is the fastest player in this state and he will be the deciding factor. Contain him and I feel Russell comes out with a win at home. This should be a great game and I feel Russell will be ready for the Tom kittens. It will not be easy for McKee to play with two sprained ankles.
nekysportsfan Wrote:The extended weather forecast calls for a high of 81 and low of 57 on Friday with no rain. Sounds like it's starting to look like football weather.

Here is a surprising fact...this is the first time since 2005 that these 2 teams have met undefeated coming into the game.

We will find out who the best team in the area (if we exclude Johnson Central from the "area") is this Friday. It should be a good one.

You are living in a bubble, a better game would be Ashland and Lawrence County. Russell has yet to impress me last year or this year. Got a couple of common opponents this year I guess we see how it plays out. But on a neutral field LC beats Russell every time.
The key to containing Baker is getting him on first and second contact And create a wall from sideline to sideline. If the kid gets any day light, just admire the back of his jersey bc he is gone. He suprised me on how much stronger he is this year and how much lower his center of gravity seems to be. He is a much better back than he was last year. BUT, if you can contain him, you can beat Ashland. Look at the Raceland stats, Ashland had 357 yds rushing and 0 passing and scored 41 points. Baker had 250 of those yards and 24 of those points. But slowing him down is much easier said than done. If their passing game gets going and they get Brown more involved, they will be hard to beat period.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:The key to containing Baker is getting him on first and second contact And create a wall from sideline to sideline. If the kid gets any day light, just admire the back of his jersey bc he is gone. He suprised me on how much stronger he is this year and how much lower his center of gravity seems to be. He is a much better back than he was last year. BUT, if you can contain him, you can beat Ashland. Look at the Raceland stats, Ashland had 357 yds rushing and 0 passing and scored 41 points. Baker had 250 of those yards and 24 of those points. But slowing him down is much easier said than done. If their passing game gets going and they get Brown more involved, they will be hard to beat period.

As a football fan I typically cheer for Ashland 9 weeks out of the season with the obvious exception of their game with Raceland. After watching them play the Rams I was very disappointed to see how little they use their talent outside of Baker.

With the speed that is on that team it is crazy that they don't spread it out more because this team could be very explosive and exciting to watch. With their current stable of athletes the Tomcats would thrive in an Oregon style no huddle offense where they could use the speed of Baker and Brown downfield to cause most defenses fits. Add their running game into that and you have an offense that is very hard to stop. There really is no excuse for them not to have developed a quarterback with Baker over the years to add more dimensions to their offense.

Ashland will run into a strong team down the road as has been the case on recent years that will shut down their running game at the line and they will be in trouble because they failed to develop a complete offense which is a shame because they are talented enough to make deep playoff runs.
Pages: 1 2 3