Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Ten 1a games of week ending 9-5-15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have another great week of games on the slate this week in Kentucky 1a. I hope you all are as excited about these games as I am. As these games are playing out this week, with what happened last week, a lot of questions about the east side of 1a will be answered. At least it will appear that way, then again look at Paintsville/Pikeville from last year. Well let's get this started:

1) #2 Pikeville 1a @ #3 Paintsville 1a
Well if this ain't a dandy, then what is. This is the most controversial matchup of 2014. The way this played out last year had everyone's heads turning. It still seems surreal. Last year these two split their matchups, with both being in blowout fashion. Pikeville was on a roll this time last year and had everyone speaking of them to be the team to destroy Mayfield at BG. They were being compared to the great teams of the past in Pikeville history. They came into this one at home and shelled Paintsville 62-8. Paintsville took their lumps and regrouped. Then went it mattered, they went back into Pikeville and blew out the home team Panthers by a score of 30-6. Pikeville ended their season with a great record at 11-1, but would love to have reversed the scenario. Paintsville also had a great year finishing up at 10-3. Both teams enter this matchup on great rolls again, with both being 2-0 at this point. Both teams are very highly ranked and one of them is figured to be the team to represent the east in 1a. I think this should be a great game with lots on the line. Better get there early if you want a seat.

2) #1 Beechwood 1a @ Somerset 2a
This is a great matchup between 2 traditional powers. Somerset appears to the jumpers of old again, unlike last years fiasco. Somerset holds 2 advantages here. First being that they are the bigger school and therefore should have more numbers. The second being that they area at home and the Tigers will have a long road trip to get there. Beechwood is also apparently on a roll as well and looks to start right where they left off last year after their 11-3 finish. I think this one too should be a great game and seated should be very limited as Beechwood travels well.

3) #4 Russellville 1a @ Butler County 2a
This also is another great matchup. To the outside world, this one may take you by surprise, but a little inside information could help one to understand just how tough this could be for both teams. Russellville is well, Russellville again. They are now the power of the western part of Ky 1a now that Mayfield is out of their district. Russellville will look to have the semi finals at their facilities this year. They are already off to a 2-0 start and the two games haven't been close yet. Butler County is also 2-0 so far this year. Don't sleep on this team just because they are not yet ranked in 2a. This team holds a class of juniors that 3 years ago rolled most of the way to a state championship in middle school They really only had one close game during that time. Then you factor in just how close their season records were to one another last year. Russellville finished 2014 at 9-4. Butler County finished up at 9-3. I think this one should be a great game.

4) #6 Fairview 1a @ Lawrence County 3a
This one here looks to be another great game. You have a highly ranked 1a team that seems to be scoring at will going against a traditionally tough bigger school team. You also factor in that this game went to the wire last year as the bigger school, LC, won 29-25. Fairview comes into this matchup at 2-0 and LC at 1-1. Both finished 2014 with winning records as well. Fairview finished at 7-5. LC finished at 9-4. I think this one should be a fun one to watch. I would not be surprised to see the small school team get the better in this one.

5) Letcher County 5a @ #8 Hazard 1a
Here you have a game between 2 teams that need to get their season going in the right direction. Letcher comes in at 1-1 on the season and needs to win to be able to hang with the big boys in 5a. Hazard needs to win and show signs of defensive improvement to get them back on tract after getting handled last week. Then you factor in how similar the two finished last year. Hazard finished up at 10-3 and LC at 9-3. Last year the small school team, Hazard, won this one in a shootout at 41-27. I expect this to happen again.

6) Lynn Camp 1a @ Jackson County 3a
Here you have a game between two teams that need to get wins any way they can find them. Both finished up last season at 2-9. Both are coming into this one with a win already at 1-1 each. This should be an all out dog fight and may spark the winning team into something better on the horizon.

7) Fulton City 1a @ Fulton County 1a
Here we have a bitter rivalry between two of the smallest schools playing football in the state of Ky. This one is always a back and forth affair. You need to look no further than last year to figure that out. Last year Fulton Co took the first matchup by a score of 20-18. Fulton City regrouped to take the second matchup by a score of 40-6. Both finished last year with identical 1-9 records. They also both come into this matchup at 0-2. The stands will be full for this one and Hub's will be full just prior to it.

8) Bishop Brossart 1a @ Bellevue 1a
This game here features 2 teams that are on the verge of breaking into the top ten of 1a. This game will go a long ways to launch them there. Both come into this matchup at 2-0. The two however went in opposite directions last year. BB finished up at 1-8 and Bellevue at 7-5. This one is a good one to watch to determine just how 1a is going to shape up.

9) Ludlow 1a @ #9 Paris 1a
This here is another game that is being played by 2 teams that figure to have something to say about the top ten of 1a soon. Paris comes in, already at #9, but looking to rise. Ludlow should be just on the outskirts though. Both teams are coming into this one at 2-0. Both also finished last year with winning records as well. Ludlow finished at 6-5 and Paris at 9-3. This is another good game to help determine 1a rankings.

10) #5 Raceland 1a @ East Carter 4a
Here we have two teams that went in opposite directions last year with the bigger school going winless and the small school going almost as far as they could with a record of 11-3. It is EC that comes into this one with no blemishes at 1-0. The Rams took one on the chin last week to drop to 1-1 and need a win to get back on track. The Rams took this one at home last year going away, 56-6. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out this year and could tell us a bit about the Rams playoff hopes.

Well, there you go fellas. Enjoy and please let me know what you think.
Good stuff, as usual.
Good looking top ten!!! :Cheerlead
Hard to imagine what the top ten is going to look like after these match ups.
Lots of good games to start sorting 1A out.
Good job 55. Can't wait til Friday!
great job as always. keep up the good work. Fairview eagles came out today in AP #5 today in class 1A. LOVE THOSE BOYS OF THE WOOD:flame:
AP rankings #5 Fairview #6 raceland
I sure think that Fairview has some kids that need the success there now. After all they have had to endure over the past few years. As long as those in charge are playing by the rules, I think it's a good thing that they are getting noticed. You talk about climbing back up in a hurry. Good confidence builder.