Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 34 Pike Central 32 (Pike Co. Bowl)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.
Congrats to SV
Heck of a football game .. Glad to see Rowe back on the field for the Wildcats .. Hats off to Pike Central ...
Good win for the Wildcats. I thought with one of their top players missing that PC would take this one. Congrats on the win.
Before the game, I figured that Central would win, based on my assumption that both Valley starting running backs, Rowe and Tackett, would be out. Rowe did play however, and was the best player on the field tonight. It was pretty clear that without him, PC wins and probably wins easily.

This was a great back-and-forth game. SV scored 5 TD's, all on the ground. In fact, I don't think Valley completed a pass all night. Valley tried to establish the passing game in the first half, and all it got them was a few incompletions and an interception.

PC, on the other hand, did most of their damage through the air. Central had 3 offensive scores, as well as a kick return TD. With a few exceptions, Valley did shut down the Central rushing game.

Great game. If they aren't going to let them play an outside opponent, then these two teams should meet every year in the PCB.
Good game indeed my friend.
Heck of a football game!
One of the best I've seen in a while, congrats to the wildcats!
Shelby Valley hosts Magoffin next week. After seeing the Hornets lose to Leslie and Estill by at least 40 points each, and knowing that SV should have the suspended Tackett back, you have to think it would be a good week to sit Rowe and let that injury get fully healed.
More Cowbell Wrote:Shelby Valley hosts Magoffin next week. After seeing the Hornets lose to Leslie and Estill by at least 40 points each, and knowing that SV should have the suspended Tackett back, you have to think it would be a good week to sit Rowe and let that injury get fully healed.

What injury? He looked 100 per cent to me. He is a good player,but enough about his injury already. Lets not act like he played in pain tonight and was anything less. What colleges are making offers? Looks like SV could possibly win the state in 2A.
Mjolnir Wrote:What injury? He looked 100 per cent to me. He is a good player,but enough about his injury already. Lets not act like he played in pain tonight and was anything less. What colleges are making offers? Looks like SV could possibly win the state in 2A.

What injury? Maybe the hamstring injury that kept him out of almost all of last week's game?

And I wouldn't say 100%. Rowe did look good most of the game, but I saw him grabbing at the hamstring a few times. The most obvious being on the 4th-down touchdown run, where he grabbed his leg just before the goal line and practically fell into the end zone.

And win the state in 2A? Don't see it happening. SV didn't have enough speed to threaten NewCath last year. Not to mention DeSales or Mayfield waiting in the final. Valley could have a very successful season and still will probably not make it past the state semifinals. That's just reality.
Got to get by the Eagles before they can talk about Mayfield or DeSales.
I watched this one on my television set thanks to WYMT. It was a lot closer than I anticipated. I guess after reading this thread some of that can be contributed to injuries of Valley.
Mjolnir Wrote:What injury? He looked 100 per cent to me. He is a good player,but enough about his injury already. Lets not act like he played in pain tonight and was anything less. What colleges are making offers? Looks like SV could possibly win the state in 2A.

Seem like you are always bashing Valley for some reason ??? When Valley is 100% heal up from all there injuries they well be tough to handle .. And yes they can make another run for the 2A Title this year. With K. Tackett back next week there offense will be even better
Region open for a lot of teams, injuries down stretch usually is the difference
First of all, big congratulations to Shelby Valley. It was one heck of a classic.

Now before the game, I kept watching Rowe and I could tell he was still questionable because he kept coming off the field shaking his head and then riding the bike.

What a gritty, gutsy performance that he had and absolutely deserved MVP honors for SV.

Well as for us, obviously we were pretty disappointed we couldn't pull out the win. But I think we've shown after the first 2 weeks of the season that we are a very fun team to watch, just wish they could have been wins.
What happen to Tackett? Was he suspended? If so why?
4ever witness Wrote:What happen to Tackett? Was he suspended? If so why?

Kasey Tackett was ejected from last week's game with Franklin County.

As per KHSAA regulation, he was suspended for the next game on the schedule, which was against Pike Central.
E's Army Wrote:Got to get by the Eagles before they can talk about Mayfield or DeSales.

I'm not penciling in Valley for anything. Plenty of teams could derail SV's hopes of winning a second straight regional title, including P-Burg, Leslie, Danville, LCA, and Somerset.

All I was saying is that making the state semi's is probably Valley's ceiling again. I just don't see them getting past NewCath, much less having any shot against Mayfield or DeSales.
Pike Central should have won this game. For what reason Shawn Thacker decided to go for it constantly on 4th down, IMO, is what cost him the game. Good win for Coach Ratliff and the Wildcats.
Sounds like a great game.

Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.
Real Badman Wrote:Pike Central should have won this game. For what reason Shawn Thacker decided to go for it constantly on 4th down, IMO, is what cost him the game. Good win for Coach Ratliff and the Wildcats.

Eh, I disagree that Pike Central should have won. IMO, Shelby Valley was clearly the better team. Even though a 2-point win seems to say it was evenly played, SV actually scored 5 offensive touchdowns compared to PC's 3 scores.

The only things that kept it close were SV's inability to convert on 2-point attempts (making only 2 of 5), and the inexplicable decision to kickoff to the Hawk return man with a minute left before halftime. If Valley simply squib kicks it to one of the big boys, then PC likely doesn't score again before the half, and the game is never really in doubt after that.

I also think Coach Ratliff made the wrong call late in the 4th quarter, when he chose to punt on 4th-and-2 from the PC 49. If Valley converts that one, the game is over and they can run out the clock. Instead they punt, the kick only travels about 8-9 yards, and PC gets one final crack at it.

Anyway, it was a good win for Valley. Picking up a solid victory over PC with one starting RB out and the other less than 100% is very encouraging.
Nice win for My Wildcats. But before we start talking about another regional title or a chance at the state tile Valleys defense has to get a ton better. Let's be real. Pike central is a pretty good football team but there not in the same league as Newport, Desalse, Mayfield. We have a lot of work to do. Let's hope we can pul it together. Good luck the rest of the year.