Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry 55 Tates Creek 38
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lots of offense.

Belfry with lots to work on as Tates Creek's offensive style hurt them and the Commodores made plays. Belfry's Offense looked rusty at times but also looked daggone good at others.
TATES CREEK
Burke 25/40 292 yds, 4TD 15 carries, 55 yds
Beerman 9 rec, 68 yds, 2 TD
68 plays, 402 total yards
5/5 on 4th Down

BELFRY
Corbett 12 carries, 32 yards
Willis 11 carries, 166 yards, 2 TD
Wellman 16 carries, 178 yards, 3 TD
Fletcher 17 carries,68 yards, 2 TD
61 carries, 511 yards
Welcome to Belfry football Mr. Derek Wellman!

Wow! What a debut by him as he brought back images of Austin Hatfield during his Sophomore year.

X Willis looked like a whole new ball player.

Fumble bug wasn't too bad though it did cost an early TD... timing and spacing wasn't sharp but all in all the Offense surpassed my expectations.

Defense... thats a whole different story. Part of the blame has to go to the ultra conservative defensive approach Belfry took... but the Pirate secondary got ABUSED by the Tates Creek receivers and have a looooong way to go. TatesCreek refused to quit and even when Belfry seemingly put fatal blows they kept finding big plays.

Like the QB Burke a lot as he was very decisive and accurate. Beerman made plays
Surprised to see Belfry give up some many points. But a win is a win.
I don't think anyone needs to worry bout Belfry. Giving up some yards and some points will probably help them not to get too comfy or complacent. They have been so good for so long that getting your chains rattled just a lil bit is probably just what they need. Congrats on the win.
congrats on the win,they wont see many teams like that in 3a..
Good golly Ms Molly. I was checking updates and for the longest time this was like 6-0. What happened? This looks like a video game.
Tates Creek qb was impressive
Belfry should have won this one by a lot more. I don't see them losing another close one in the state finals, they will likely get slugged around before then by Boyle or Lex Cath.
I won't be negative, I've been pessimistic for a few weeks. One of the main reasons was that we lacked a big physical Belfry back.

I am here to say I'm wrong, and sing some praises. Derek Wellman was a kid possessed. I'm not surprised either. I thought he'd be a year away from dominance. Wow. But it isn't luck, or anything like that. That kid has busted his butt for everything he's got and never been handed anything. Also very active in church. The kind of kid that you want your kid to look up to.
Guess Belfry's D must have all been out with the flu or something. How does a team with usually a great D, and a great power running game to keep the clock moving give up 38.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Guess Belfry's D must have all been out with the flu or something. How does a team with usually a great D, and a great power running game to keep the clock moving give up 38.

1st game of the season and young on that side of the ball,dont think they give that up to many times this year..
Congrats Belfry and I was impressed with Tate's Creek QB. He made smart decisions with the ball all night.
Tates Creek had a good gameplan to attack the Belfry rush three zone. The entire first half Belfry's d-line did nothing. In the second half they started getting their hands up in the passing lanes and deflected a few balls. The Tates Creek QB was able to get the snap, immediately turn and fire a LOS hitch to his WR all night. Belfry never took it away. Tates Creek also had 2-3 well thrown fades/deep balls where the TC receiver made a better play on the ball than the Belfry defender. Belfry was there every time but just got outplayed for the ball. Probably can chalk that up to a size/jumping advantage for TC. Bottom line - the offensive scheme Tates Creek is the model of how to beat Belfry IMO, except it would be helpful to be more balanced. The QB was getting the ball out so quickly that it basically neutralized Belfry's two big DT's. Speaking of, while Horton did end up making some plays, to my eye he added a bit too much weight at the detriment of losing some quickness. He was more explosive the same time last year. Hopefully I'm overreacting.

Sanger and TJ Dotson stood out on defense. Dotson especially was all over the field.

EKU made the point well in the update thread. Xondre Willis looked much more explosive than last season. Good wiggle, broke a few tackles, and enough top end speed to house it. Very encouraging.

The offensive line was dominant. They made great space for the FB all night. They also executing better than I expected on the counters that were ran. Dotson had a few devastating pancakes as he pulled around.

Corbett played well in large part with a few big mistakes. The pitch to no one was a mental error. Otherwise tho, I was pleased with his play. Thought both fullbacks looked quick through the hole,fast, and ran hard. I think the difference in results is that Wellman just has that knack for "seeing it" than Fletcher has to a lesser extent.
cuppett777 Wrote:congrats on the win,they wont see many teams like that in 3a..

Lots of teams in 3A better than Tates Creek.

Better get that defense fixed before Pikeville rolls in.:devilflam
^ Agree 100%.

Belfry will see a TON of spread,so hopefully they improve at defending it.
Belfry will get progressively better. Lot of teeth gnashing over a bunch that just beat a 6A team by 17.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Agree 100%.

Belfry will see a TON of spread,so hopefully they improve at defending it.

I agree as well.

Tates Creek was a better team than I expected by they probably wouldn't be a Top 7 team in 3A.

Belfry better be ready though because spread teams who previously would have tried to mix it up or take shots deep are going to copy this model to take away Belfrys biggest defensive advantage.

That Defensive line can't dominate you if they aren't involved in the play.
Belfry' s defense gave up a lot more than I thought they would, but still a big win. Congrats to them.
Lots of football left to play this season. Of course everyone has high expectations but jeez guys at the end of the day they are still kids and there will be mistakes made in the early season. Let's be realistic and try not being overly critical huh? Just a suggestion.
Tates Creek playing Belfry close would be like NCC playing Highlands close. It wouldn't and shouldn't happen.
WideRight05 Wrote:Tates Creek playing Belfry close would be like NCC playing Highlands close. It wouldn't and shouldn't happen.

Or Cooper playing Highlands close.... Wait...
WideRight05 Wrote:Tates Creek playing Belfry close would be like NCC playing Highlands close. It wouldn't and shouldn't happen.

3 touchdowns is literally not a close game and believe me it wasn't close on the way it felt... Belfry was never seriously threatened once they got up 35-14...Give Tates Creek credit for not quitting...61 carries for 511 yards tells you all you need to know about this game and Belfry started 2 seniors on offense and 2 seniors on defense. Way too early to be this nit picky about a game that saw Tates Creek convert a bunch of 4th down conversions, onside kick multiple times, getting one back, winning a bunch of jump ball pass plays that Belfry had good coverage, but Tates Creek, to their credit, made the plays, score 3 two point conversions on a swinging gate formation, and score a late TD on a hook and lateral play against a bunch of reserves. Belfry played a bunch of kids and subbed liberally at just about every position...All in all a really good first game with lots of plusses and a lot to work on to keep the players focused.
jetpilot Wrote:Lots of teams in 3A better than Tates Creek.

Better get that defense fixed before Pikeville rolls in.:devilflam

I was meaning theres not many teams in 3a that spread u out like that and has a qb and receivers like that,didnt say anything about being better than anyone..
Who started for the offensive line this game?
Highlands made the adjustments necessary. Cooper would be a much different game now. Is Belfry good enough to hang with Cooper?
WideRight05 Wrote:Highlands made the adjustments necessary. Cooper would be a much different game now. Is Belfry good enough to hang with Cooper?

Yes and Highlands:biggrin:
I like What I saw from Belfry. I may have been one of the "pessimistic" posters (tho I thought my post was simply an objective break down). I do think Adkins, D. Varney, and some of the secondary guys have great potential and will only improve. Quality kids are there on D. The coaching staff will just have to coach them up and get them more adept at taking on spread offenses. I am sure we will see improvement in that area and from the look of tonight, Pikeville will be an excellent test.

A ton of encouraging signs on offense too as the line looks solid early and the backs look very capable.

Just have to get a little better each day.
I think someone pointed out that only 2 seniors started on each side of the ball. Just have to grow up a bit.

All of the offensive ball carriers looked capable. Wellman and Willis looked super sharp.
This is a young team. On offense you only have Gibbs and Willis that are Seniors. Defense you have Sanger and TJ Dotson.
Pages: 1 2