Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Setting the record straight for far west Ky football.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read in a post on a thread here recently how someone, who shall remain nameless, didn't respect far west Ky football much. This shocked me and got me thinking. I realize that we are not Louisville area powerful but, we don't have near the population for that either.

This area over here in the far west has put 9 teams in the state finals since 2009. These are schools that are all within 1 hour of each other. Then you take in the fact that the PT team from 2010 took Central to the wire at home while not having the services of their top two running backs. Then you add in the fact that McCracken probably could have made it to the finals last year if they were not stacked in the side that had to go through the power conference in 6a. As a matter of fact they gave a power conference team as rough a game as anyone outside of that conference all year. Then you figure that last year Murray went to Lou and took the champs of 2a to the wire losing by one td on a questionable call, which cost 5 refs the first 5 games of this season.

Then you figure in that the far west has won 5 state titles during this time. Also you got to remember that 2 more of those titles were lost by a mere 3-4 points.

So, I ask, why the slight on west Ky?
mysonis55 Wrote:I read in a post on a thread here recently how someone, who shall remain nameless, didn't respect far west Ky football much. This shocked me and got me thinking. I realize that we are not Louisville area powerful but, we don't have near the population for that either.

This area over here in the far west has put 9 teams in the state finals since 2009. These are schools that are all within 1 hour of each other. Then you take in the fact that the PT team from 2010 took Central to the wire at home while not having the services of their top two running backs. Then you add in the fact that McCracken probably could have made it to the finals last year if they were not stacked in the side that had to go through the power conference in 6a. As a matter of fact they gave a power conference team as rough a game as anyone outside of that conference all year. Then you figure that last year Murray went to Lou and took the champs of 2a to the wire losing by one td on a questionable call, which cost 5 refs the first 5 games of this season.

Then you figure in that the far west has won 5 state titles during this time. Also you got to remember that 2 more of those titles were lost by a mere 3-4 points.

Confusedtare:
mysonis55 Wrote:I read in a post on a thread here recently how someone, who shall remain nameless, didn't respect far west Ky football much. This shocked me and got me thinking. I realize that we are not Louisville area powerful but, we don't have near the population for that either.

If this thread is because of my saying no one in eastern ky, or western ky is on the level of Highlands, Trinity, and St X I still take that position.
What is your definition of "Far West Kentucky"?

I know us poor folk here in "the mountains" all have different opinions of what "the mountains" actually are.
The Highlighted area is what I consider the "Mountains".

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=3214&d=1440783516]
I'll play, since I have a large amount of family in WKY.

Far WKY- Places along and/or West of KY/Barkley and LBL. Caldwell County, Trigg County, Mayfield, Murray, Paducah. All of which are Graves, Calloway, McCracken and also Marshall Counties (other football playing county's are Ballard and the Fulton's).

WKY- Henderson, south through Madisonville, down to Hoptown/Christian County/Ft. Campbell and over until you get to the county'a bordering the lakes. Other places in this area include Union County, Crittenden, Webster, etc.

Owensboro, most all will let slide in to the "WKY" category. As I've heard, Owensboro is "Western-ish".

Bowling Green? Don't think about it.

Want to piss (I say that lightly) somebody from any of the above areas off? When they tell you they are from Western KY, reply with "Oh, Bowling Green?" "Bowling Green isn't really Western KY, despite the name of the school". Similar to EKU being in Richmond. Same concept.

For the record, I don't consider Somerset/Pulaski/Ashland and other questionable areas as in "The Mountains"
^I consider Somerset to Bowling Green Central Kentucky. Anything east is eastern Kentucky, anything west is western Kentucky.
To me western Kentucky is a line from Owensboro to bowling green and west. Far western Kentucky to me is the Jackson Purchase only which is west of Kentucky Lake/Tennessee river. The 8 counties that make up the Jackson Purchase are Marshall, Calloway, Graves, McCracken, Ballard, Carlisle, Hickman, and Fulton Counties.
I know that Far West Kentucky Football is about the same if not a little better than eastern Kentucky Football. Their not as much population is far western Kentucky than their is in Eastern Kentucky. Tilghman like Bell Co in Eastern Kentucky. McCracken Cent about like Johnson Central. Mayfield like Belfry and so on but neither can stand up to Louisville or Northern Kentucky Population. But their still good football in both regions, and if the coal industry does not pick back up Eastern kentucky will fall futher behind. Harlan County and Perry Central since 2000 has lost over 300 kids now some transferd but other have left so their families could find work other places.
hoghead Wrote:I know that Far West Kentucky Football is about the same if not a little better than eastern Kentucky Football. Their not as much population is far western Kentucky than their is in Eastern Kentucky. Tilghman like Bell Co in Eastern Kentucky. McCracken Cent about like Johnson Central. Mayfield like Belfry and so on but neither can stand up to Louisville or Northern Kentucky Population. But their still good football in both regions, and if the coal industry does not pick back up Eastern kentucky will fall futher behind. Harlan County and Perry Central since 2000 has lost over 300 kids now some transferd but other have left so their families could find work other places.

The bolded part......

:truestory:
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Highlighted area is what I consider the "Mountains".

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=3214&d=1440783516]
In no way, shape, or form can you consider Laurel and Pulaski EKY realistically. I would go so far as to say that highlighted area needs to stop at about Clay County. I'm not even a fan of considering Estill County EKY when it abuts a county that is considered CKY. But I realize a line has to be drawn somewhere. But extending it across I-75 is silly. I mean, why is Pulaski County considered EKY by you but not McCreary County? Why Whitley County, which is immediately beside McCreary?
I say the area I am referring to is Ballard, Graves, Fulton, McCracken, Lyon, Carlisle, Hickman, Trigg, Christian, Crittendon, Calloway and Caldwell counties.
I'm not sure the east has sent 9 participants to the finals in the last 6 years. It really isn't a big deal, I just couldn't understand why someone said they didn't think west ky football was that good.
Western Kentucky plays very good football. Mayfield is the flagship program but they seem to put a couple of other teams in the running every year.
mysonis55 Wrote:I'm not sure the east has sent 9 participants to the finals in the last 6 years. It really isn't a big deal, I just couldn't understand why someone said they didn't think west ky football was that good.

Not including Pulaski County schools

Belfry X 5
Hazard X 1
Williamsburg X 2
Fairview X 1
=9 times

If you include the Pulaski County schools as EKY that is 12 Finals Participants in 6 years
PHSForever Wrote:In no way, shape, or form can you consider Laurel and Pulaski EKY realistically. I would go so far as to say that highlighted area needs to stop at about Clay County. I'm not even a fan of considering Estill County EKY when it abuts a county that is considered CKY. But I realize a line has to be drawn somewhere. But extending it across I-75 is silly. I mean, why is Pulaski County considered EKY by you but not McCreary County? Why Whitley County, which is immediately beside McCreary?

As far as we know, McCreary may just be a mountain school but have never been good enough to be ranked in the top 10, or to send a camera man out to film. I don't think WYMT previews there team, but if they did cover them, nothing would change unless they start getting better. Since the majority of MC opponents are EKY teams and there in an EKY district they are regularly shown. I do think if you include Pulaski as EKY, then you must include McCreary.

Personally when talking football, we should change the name of "EKY Teams" to "teams I think of when talking about mountain football" to prevent the trollers from always bringing up the geography issues.
We all know, or have a pretty good indication of who is included in mountain teams and EKY teams when it is talked about. However, if you look at the state overall, id imagine about half of those teams aren't really EKY.
I am a bit less traditional as I consider, Lewis, Greenup and Boyd as mountain teams. They may really be more foothills, basically anything in the Eastern Ky Coalfield.

Here is what I mean
[Image: kentuckytopography.jpe]
mysonis55 Wrote:I say the area I am referring to is Ballard, Graves, Fulton, McCracken, Lyon, Carlisle, Hickman, Trigg, Christian, Crittendon, Calloway and Caldwell counties.

How in gods name do you consider Christian, and Caldwell western Kentucky but not Marshall County when it is an hour west of those 2. You need a geography lesson 55 look at the above maps.
killbilly usmc Wrote:how in gods name do you consider christian, and caldwell western kentucky but not marshall county when it is an hour west of those 2. You need a geography lesson 55 look at the above maps.

lol
This sounds more like an "off-season-we are all really bored and have no current football action to talk about type thread" !!!!!!!?????????????
Oh, I forgot Killbilly. Its hard to remember all of those counties that don't play football.
Believe me, we are in 2a now, so I have to find something to post about. We cant get any 2a teams talking. It's killing me. I miss the days of harassing, Hazard, Fairview or Williamsburg, or whichever team 64 adopts that week.
Check out my 6A class discussion thread.