Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 6A Football... does it matter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are 32 teams that play in Class 6A. That is only 15 counties in KY.

21 of the 32 are located in the Louis./NKY/Lex. area.
And I would argue that the schools from Madison, Hardin, Scott & Clark counties could fall in that category as well. So that would mean that 26 of the 32 teams are from the Louis./NKY/Lex. area.

Clark County is the furthest 6A team East.
Madison County is the furthest 6A team South.

Daviess County
Ohio County
McCracken County
Henderson County
Muhlenberg County
Meade County
Hardin County (2)
Jefferson County (10)
Kenton County
Boone County (4)
Campbell County
Scott County
Madison County
Fayette County (5)
Clark County

Does 6A football matter outside of the counties that don't have a 6A team?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:There are 32 teams that play in Class 6A. That is only 15 counties in KY.

21 of the 32 are located in the Louis./NKY/Lex. area.
And I would argue that the schools from Madison, Hardin, Scott & Clark counties could fall in that category as well. So that would mean that 26 of the 32 teams are from the Louis./NKY/Lex. area.

Clark County is the furthest 6A team East.
Madison County is the furthest 6A team South.

Daviess County
Ohio County
McCracken County
Henderson County
Muhlenberg County
Meade County
Hardin County (2)
Jefferson County (10)
Kenton County
Boone County (4)
Campbell County
Scott County
Madison County
Fayette County (5)
Clark County

Does 6A football matter outside of the counties that don't have a 6A team?

Couldn't the same be said about any other Class that doesn't have any teams in an area? For instance, NKY has no 3A teams and no one really follows it up there.
HHellBird Wrote:Couldn't the same be said about any other Class that doesn't have any teams in an area? For instance, NKY has no 3A teams and no one really follows it up there.

True but I think the point he is making, and it is a good one, is that as the largest class you would expect a great deal of interest from the casual football fan in what happens week to week in 6A. That is not the case for a couple reasons. Number one is the exact reason being discussed in this thread. 6A football isn't accessible geographically to the casual fan because of the placement of the teams throughout the state. You can't just hop in your car and go watch a 6A playoff game if you are from certain parts of the state. Another factor in the lack of interest is the fact that Trinity and Saint X have both been so dominant in 6A traditionally a lot of fans probably feel as though there is no point in following 6A football. I would argue that one super dominant team in a class provokes more interest than two because the rest of the state has someone to rally behind and cheer on as an underdog. Other factors don't help either including the lack of interest that Fayette County has in investing in its high school football programs.
Closest 5A school is Montgomery County. Closest 6A is Lex area. Neither are followed by me closely.
Who here wasn't proud when Trinity won the national championship? 1A matters more to me but 6A matters.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:True but I think the point he is making, and it is a good one, is that as the largest class you would expect a great deal of interest from the casual football fan in what happens week to week in 6A. That is not the case for a couple reasons. Number one is the exact reason being discussed in this thread. 6A football isn't accessible geographically to the casual fan because of the placement of the teams throughout the state. You can't just hop in your car and go watch a 6A playoff game if you are from certain parts of the state. Another factor in the lack of interest is the fact that Trinity and Saint X have both been so dominant in 6A traditionally a lot of fans probably feel as though there is no point in following 6A football. I would argue that one super dominant team in a class provokes more interest than two because the rest of the state has someone to rally behind and cheer on as an underdog. Other factors don't help either including the lack of interest that Fayette County has in investing in its high school football programs.

True, but I see the lack of interest will always relate more to the lack of teams in any given area. Just like the 3A example I gave, I don't think anyone who doesn't have a rooting interest in a specific class will really follow the teams in that class except as a casual fan just to see maybe who won the state title. Trinity's dominance I'm sure is another reason, but I couldn't tell you who is in other classes outside of my area and it's because until the playoffs I really don't care too much and it is even greater when it comes to a class that I have zero teams that I know in. You are right though, the teams that dominate year in and year out make it also tough for other people outside those area's to really care that much.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:True but I think the point he is making, and it is a good one, is that as the largest class you would expect a great deal of interest from the casual football fan in what happens week to week in 6A. That is not the case for a couple reasons. Number one is the exact reason being discussed in this thread. 6A football isn't accessible geographically to the casual fan because of the placement of the teams throughout the state. You can't just hop in your car and go watch a 6A playoff game if you are from certain parts of the state. Another factor in the lack of interest is the fact that Trinity and Saint X have both been so dominant in 6A traditionally a lot of fans probably feel as though there is no point in following 6A football. I would argue that one super dominant team in a class provokes more interest than two because the rest of the state has someone to rally behind and cheer on as an underdog. Other factors don't help either including the lack of interest that Fayette County has in investing in its high school football programs.
Thank you for a better explanation.... it's like you read my mind.
I am afraid here in laurel county if they don't build another highschool soon north laurel and south laurel will be 6A. Yes I guess it matter Pulp Fiction :popcorn:
Just a thought... With the Louisville domination of the "large school" class over the last 18yrs, I wonder if we'll ever see a return to the old days of separating Jefferson Co. from the rest of the state in 6A. Crowning separate champions and having a Louisville Metro Champion vs. State "At Large" Champion. In the end I don't think it would really change much as the Louisville Metro Champ would still dominate the "At Large" Champ most years. But it would give the "At Large" schools a more realistic shot at winning a title.

I'm not saying that I'm nessesarily for the idea, but it is something I've pondered over the last several years.
6A is the least talked about class on this site and from my experience the entire state. Having a lville team win it almost every year is nothing new and when it comes to lville there are so many high schools that there is no sense of school pride or meaning to anyone not associated with that particular team.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:6A is the least talked about class on this site and from my experience the entire state. Having a lville team win it almost every year is nothing new and when it comes to lville there are so many high schools that there is no sense of school pride or meaning to anyone not associated with that particular team.

On this site YES, cause it's predominantly eastern and southern park of KY forum. Just like if you go to the other forum site, No one really talks about east and southern region. A lot more northern, central KY, Louisville schools, regardless of the class.
Remove private schools from the equation, and 6A might become more relevant, but that ain't happening, so no--not relevant to the majority of the state.
Trinity and St. Xavier are the only 2 private schools in 6A that I see.

And yes, I will watch Trinity or any other Kentucky HS that plays on national TV.
But I could care less who wins the 6A state title or who is ranked #1.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Remove private schools from the equation, and 6A might become more relevant, but that ain't happening, so no--not relevant to the majority of the state.

:thatsfunn Take away 2 private schools from 6A and there will be more interest? LAME :biglmao: Why don't we just take away independent schools, all boys schools and school for the blind and deaf?
FBfan4life Wrote::thatsfunn Take away 2 private schools from 6A and there will be more interest? LAME :biglmao: Why don't we just take away independent schools, all boys schools and school for the blind and deaf?

Think what he's trying to say is that T and X are playing with a stacked deck. Over 2000 boys in each school with no borders in the biggest city in the state. Since 1998, Male has 2 titles and Scott Co. has 1. The rest is all T or X, mostly T.
FBfan4life Wrote:On this site YES, cause it's predominantly eastern and southern park of KY forum. Just like if you go to the other forum site, No one really talks about east and southern region. A lot more northern, central KY, Louisville schools, regardless of the class.

I understand what you are saying but on all other forums I do not see any 6A talk except one, and I believe that is only because it is more or less a Trinity and Highlands gathering hub. I would love nothing more than to see so many threads on here that we have to break down the football forum into different parts of the state so that we could keep threads recent, but theres simply not that much interest.

Ive worked in almost every decent size city in this state and know a large group of people in almost every city of note. From Paducah to Bowling Green to Ashland to Pikeville to London and Corbin and all the way back to Lexington and Lville, there is very little discussion about 6A football because it doesn't affect the people in any of those regions except Lville and Lex.
The scary part Lex and Lville may be the two places I hear the least amount of talk about it.
hop24 Wrote:Think what he's trying to say is that T and X are playing with a stacked deck. Over 2000 boys in each school with no borders in the biggest city in the state. Since 1998, Male has 2 titles and Scott Co. has 1. The rest is all T or X, mostly T.
That's a negative Sir, T and X only run about 1,400 all boys student body, not 2,000 and Independent does not have boundaries as well. So I beg the differ.
The finals need to be back in Louisville ASAP. The atmosphere there was great when T and X squared off in the finals.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I understand what you are saying but on all other forums I do not see any 6A talk except one, and I believe that is only because it is more or less a Trinity and Highlands gathering hub. I would love nothing more than to see so many threads on here that we have to break down the football forum into different parts of the state so that we could keep threads recent, but theres simply not that much interest.

Ive worked in almost every decent size city in this state and know a large group of people in almost every city of note. From Paducah to Bowling Green to Ashland to Pikeville to London and Corbin and all the way back to Lexington and Lville, there is very little discussion about 6A football because it doesn't affect the people in any of those regions except Lville and Lex.
The scary part Lex and Lville may be the two places I hear the least amount of talk about it.
Not sure about that either. Northern KY folks sure love to talk about their teams ie. Simon Kenton, Ryle, Cooper, Conner, Campbell County. Lex area with Lafayette, Scott Co and Henry Clay and Louisville are with T, X, PRP Male amd Manual. To me that is plenty of 6A power to talk about.
Personally speaking, the move to 6 classes brought down my interest. Other than money, what are the reasons behind it? It plays right along with the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality that our weak society has. No way should a winless team be playing in the playoffs and this happens probably once, if not more a year. Maybe I'm a little old school but it use to mean something to win a few games in the playoffs; now the first round is nothing more than a bye for half of the bracket.
Several people in certain parts of the state still think that some of the 6A schools are "mythical".
Johnson Central played Tates Creek in 1999, TC was coming off their 14-1, State Runner-up season in class 4A. Everybody wanted to come see the "Big Lexington School".... that we had never played against. JC lost 15-27.
The next season JC played @ TC.... JC won 22-18. You would have thought JC won the State Championship. Everybody was listing to the game on the radio, and that was all the talk around town for weeks. Not that JC was undefeated, but that we beat Tates Creek @ TC.... and how we had never beat a team like that. I would argue that up to that point in time, that was JC's biggest win.

If some 6A teams would schedule a Home/Home series with Belfry, Bell County, Ashland, Johnson Central then I could see more interest/talk with the 6A class.

I would LOVE TO SEE Trinity or St. X come to the CAM or Johnson Central and then see JC or Belfry go to Louisville the next year and play on their field.

Some, not all, 6A football teams are like Brock Lesnar in Pro Wrestling.... they are a 'special attraction' when they come to a non-6A school area.
D IT UP Wrote:Personally speaking, the move to 6 classes brought down my interest. Other than money, what are the reasons behind it? It plays right along with the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality that our weak society has. No way should a winless team be playing in the playoffs and this happens probably once, if not more a year. Maybe I'm a little old school but it use to mean something to win a few games in the playoffs; now the first round is nothing more than a bye for half of the bracket.

:Thumbs: Spot on.
FBfan4life Wrote:That's a negative Sir, T and X only run about 1,400 all boys student body, not 2,000 and Independent does not have boundaries as well. So I beg the differ.

All the independents I know in Kentucky have borders, most very small borders...
HCS Wrote:All the independents I know in Kentucky have borders, most very small borders...

District is normally only referred to as Independent if its jurisdiction does not cover an entire county, instead covering a city or a cluster of cities. To me if a family does not want to attend lets say a county school, they are free to pay a fee and enroll into an independent school. Do I sound just about right?
There are districts with open enrollment all over the state. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean they don't exist. Some school boards choose to close their boundaries. That's not the KHSAA's problem. Just like some schools choose to hire crappy coaches or under fund their program. Not the KHSAA's problem. I expect a few heated indignant replies with a lot of passion and no facts. I won't be responding to those. Enjoy.
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...=Highlands

I started this thread in 2012. And yes, I know Highlands is not 6A.
When a few schools win ALL of the championships in a class, it minimizes the interest state wide. 6
a has no upper boundary for male student population. In how many classes can a school that has 700 males be required to compete with schools with twice that population?

You have to redefine the definition of success in this class. A regional championship in this class can mean more than a State Championship in other smaller classes.
The highlighted counties have a 6A football team.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=3215&d=1440784126]
FBfan4life Wrote:That's a negative Sir, T and X only run about 1,400 all boys student body, not 2,000 and Independent does not have boundaries as well. So I beg the differ.

True. If we want to include all relevant factors, those who attend T and X pay a steep tuition while the government school students go for free. X and T are self-supporting while all those government schools receive millions and millions of dollars from the taxpayers of the Commonwealth. And, don't use the whine about recruiting because we all know that all the relevant government schools recruit endlessly.

Finally, if your son was an outstanding football player, wouldn't you want him to play for X or T so that he would get maximum exposure in regard to college recruiters?
Here is a map of counties with a 4A football team.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=3216&d=1440807819]
Pages: 1 2