Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rules question, or maybe complaint about refs enforcing their own rules.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to know if anyone can tell me about this rule that was enforced at the Mayfield/ Fort Campbell game Friday. Several players from Mayfield were told they could not play with eye black too far down their faces. First, I would like to know if this truly is a rule, and where to find it. Second, if it is a rule, why? I don't think extra eye black could be an unfair advantage. It sounds very silly to me, these are kids, they have their own ways of getting pumped.
I have no idea where this rule comes from either. I always liked to wear it and really can't see what the issue would be from a safety issue unless they think it would somehow get in the players eyes. In which case they should ban turf because of the pellets that get kicked up. Other than the possibility of it running into the eyes I can't think of any issue it would maybe cause. Most of it depends on the refs as well, some let it go and some have an issue with it.
The KHSAA uses the NFHS rules as does pretty much every state.
You have to refer to there handbook....

ART. 3…Illegal equipment. No player shall participate while wearing illegal equipment. This applies to any equipment, which in the opinion of the umpire is dangerous, confusing or inappropriate. Illegal equipment shall always include but is not limited to:
a. The following items related to the Game Uniform:
1. Jerseys and pants that have:
(a) A visible logo/trademark or reference exceeding 2¼ square inches and exceeding 2¼ inches in any
dimension.
(b) More than one manufacturer’s logo/trademark or reference on the outside of either item. (The same size
restriction shall apply to either the manufacturer’s logo/trademark or reference).
© Sizing, garment care or other nonlogo labels on the outside of either item.
2. Slippery or sticky substance of a foreign nature on equipment, towel, uniform, opponent or on an exposed part
of the body which affects the ball or an opponent.
3. Tear-away jerseys or jerseys that have been altered in any manner that produces a knot-like protrusion or creates a tear-away jersey.
4. Any transverse stripe on the sleeve below the elbow.
5. Uniform adornments, with the exception of:
(a) One unmarked moisture-absorbing towel, that is not ball or penalty blog-colored, which shall be no less than 4 inches in width and 12 inches in length and no greater than 18 inches in width and 36 inches in length; has no more than one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark reference that does not exceed 2¼ square inches; and if worn by any player, must be the same solid color for all players wearing towels; or
(b) Moisture-absorbing sweatbands, when worn on the wrist beginning at the base of the thumb and extending no more than 3 inches toward the elbow.
b. The following items related to Pads and Padding:
1. Hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, or upper arm unless padded with a closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding no less than 1/2” thick.
2. Knee and ankle braces which are altered from the manufacturer’s original design/production.
NOTE: Knee and ankle braces that are unaltered do not require any additional padding.
3. Knee braces worn over the pants.
4. Plastic material covering protective pads whose edges are not rounded with a radius equal to half the thickness of the plastic.
5. Rib pads and back protectors unless fully covered by a jersey.
6. Shin guards that do not meet NOCSAE specifications.
c. The following Other Illegal Equipment:
1. Ball-colored helmets, jerseys, patches, exterior arm covers/pads, undershirts or gloves.
2. Communication devices, other than those permitted in Rule 1-6-1 and Rule 1-6-2.
3. Eye shade (grease or no-glare strips or stickers) that is not a solid stroke or includes words, numbers, logos or other symbols within the eye shade.
4. Eyeshield attached to the helmet that is not:
(a) Constructed of a molded rigid material; or
(b) Clear without the presence of any tint.
5. Jerseys, undershirts or exterior arm covers/pads manufactured to enhance contact with the football or
opponent.
6. Jewelry. Religious and medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and
worn under the uniform. A medical-alert medal must be taped and may be visible.
7. Metal which is projecting or other hard substance on clothes or person.
8. Play cards not worn on the wrist or arm.
9. Equipment not worn as intended by the manufacturer.

Pretty much all you can wear as far as eye shade is a single stroke. You can war paint your face. I assume this ref was looking for anything to complain about because I would imagine many players did this and got away with it, but it IS against the rules.
What is a solid stroke? This was eye black and it was a solid color of black, nothing written in it or anything. Sounds like they have too much time to worry about things that don't matter at all.
I agree. It would be different if they were writing small messages under their eyes! Confusednicker:

or WOULD it?? I could do that in a single stroke!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I agree. It would be different if they were writing small messages under their eyes! Confusednicker:

or WOULD it?? I could do that in a single stroke!!

You could write supercalafragalisticexpialodocious in cursive Confusednicker:
Why complain about the ref complaining? abide by the rules and carry on.its not like it makes you play better to smear eye black all over your face Smile
I think the question is......does it abide by the rules? Sounds to me like it kinda does, but I don't know enough about the situation.

And it may make these kids play better. You know how a bunch of teen boys are, the shave their heads, they don't shave their faces, they have war paint, etc. Different things spark different teams.
Smile
That whole thinh is lame. Where talking eye black not stickem.
You can not write on your face....WE ARE MAYFIELD!!!! Mysonis55 :lmao:
That was on my face 64. I wasn't playing. If I was we would have scored a lot more.
mysonis55 Wrote:That was on my face 64. I wasn't playing. If I was we would have scored a lot more.

so you are one of the weapons that they never have to useConfusednicker:
Yes sir.
I always liked and wore the eye black strips especially during the early season games as it was still daylight when we started.
not sure when they changed the rules as that was a long time ago but it does not surprise me in any way
mysonis55 Wrote:Yes sir.

:closeenough:
mysonis55 Wrote:Sounds like they have too much time to worry about things that don't matter at all.

Yeah, but they're just high school kids. So yes, while they clearly seem more fixated on their "appearance" than their "performance" on the field, coaches and officials are available to try and help guide them.
Back when I played in high school there were some kids that pretty much painted there entire face.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Back when I played in high school there were some kids that pretty much painted there entire face.

Back when I played, there were no face mask. So everyone saw my ugliness. Other team complained in which the invention of face mask came to hide my face..:biglmao::biglmao:
Yes, the do like to look good. But, it also pumps them up a bit. I certainly can't figure how it detracts from the game in any way. Besides that, the people in the stands can't even tell.