Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset 33 Mason Co. 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final. :Clap:
Nice to enjoy a win again.

Jordan Doan: 9 carries, 159 yards, 5 TDs
Castle Hatcher: 7 carries, 85 yards; 7-13 163 yards
Bunnies back in form
The 5 yard touchdown run that he had was incredible. He must have broke 5 tackles, including one Royal that had him by the facemask, and covered about 60 total yards after reversing field. Unreal.

Offensive line is still very much a work in progress and the secondary struggled on some jump balls but the defensive front and skill position players on offense looked very nice.

Good to see the Jumpers break the losing streak. Nice crowd there as well.
A lot of people are thinking Mason County is a quality football team.

It appear all of Pulaski County looked good tonight.
Go Jumpers!
Walt Longmire Wrote:The 5 yard touchdown run that he had was incredible. He must have broke 5 tackles, including one Royal that had him by the facemask, and covered about 60 total yards after reversing field. Unreal.

Offensive line is still very much a work in progress and the secondary struggled on some jump balls but the defensive front and skill position players on offense looked very nice.

Good to see the Jumpers break the losing streak. Nice crowd there as well.

I'll take almost 300 yards on the ground from a work in progress offensive line. Can't wait to see what they can do when they start playing well.

Hatcher had very little pressure all night as well, and zero sacks. They may be a work in progress but give the boys up front their dues... They played pretty well tonight.
I think the line play was exceptional. D line were ruthless and hungry and the O line opened holes that Doan took full advantage of. If our O line keeps thr qb up right and opens any type of lane for our running game this offense will be lethal
Truth_Hurts Wrote:I think the line play was exceptional. D line were ruthless and hungry and the O line opened holes that Doan took full advantage of. If our O line keeps thr qb up right and opens any type of lane for our running game this offense will be lethal

I'll definitely agree that they need to improve, they weren't great, but they weren't terrible.

Doan and Gadberry are a good combo in the backfield. Radio guys said Gadberry only had 40 yards but they were 40 tough yards with some really good cuts! Obviously Jordan and Castle ran the ball well, 255 yards on the ground between those two guys alone!

Josh and isaiah Cornett had big games as well, don't know how how many times the jumpers threw the football but they had 4 or 5 really nice catches between them.

All that said the jumpers have a tough schedule and they've gotta improve significantly to beat the rest of their schedule, but it definitely feels good to see some of these guys that we all know are good football players finally put it all together when the lights come on. They needed this for confidence maybe more than anything.
Nice score for the Jumpers.
Cong: to Coach Lucas and the Jumpers. Nice Win. Big Shout out to Doan and Hatcher super game.
JumperPride1 Wrote:I'll definitely agree that they need to improve, they weren't great, but they weren't terrible.

Doan and Gadberry are a good combo in the backfield. Radio guys said Gadberry only had 40 yards but they were 40 tough yards with some really good cuts! Obviously Jordan and Castle ran the ball well, 255 yards on the ground between those two guys alone!

Josh and isaiah Cornett had big games as well, don't know how how many times the jumpers threw the football but they had 4 or 5 really nice catches between them.

All that said the jumpers have a tough schedule and they've gotta improve significantly to beat the rest of their schedule, but it definitely feels good to see some of these guys that we all know are good football players finally put it all together when the lights come on. They needed this for confidence maybe more than anything.

I didn't say the offensive line was terrible. Just that they are definitely a work in progress. They were much better than preseason reports made them out to be. That being said the vast majority of those 300 rushing yards came on the outside--almost half of it on 2 long touchdown runs. The passing game featured a lot of screens and quick hitters that didn't give the defense time to get to the quarterback. I thought that was an excellent game plan by the coaching staff that played to the strength of the team--their speed. We probably won't get a true feel for where the line play is until game 3 vs Beechwood. They won't be overwhelmed by our speed and we'll have to be able to give Hatcher time to throw and give Doan some room to run inside.

I was extremely impressed with the defense. The only play that they struggled with was the 4 or 5 times that the Mason County quarterback was flushed and the up some prayers. They seemed to freeze waiting on them to come down. That's just nitpicking though. If the other team's best play is to have the quarterback run backwards 10 yards and throw up no look jump balls you've had a pretty good night.

There is a lot to improve on but I saw a lot to be excited about.
JumperPride1 Wrote:I'll definitely agree that they need to improve, they weren't great, but they weren't terrible.

I completely agree with all the above and even more so with the confidence builder. Tough schedule ahead and work to be done, stay hungry boys!
Congratulations on your win, Jumpers!!!
Walt Longmire Wrote:I didn't say the offensive line was terrible. Just that they are definitely a work in progress. They were much better than preseason reports made them out to be. That being said the vast majority of those 300 rushing yards came on the outside--almost half of it on 2 long touchdown runs. The passing game featured a lot of screens and quick hitters that didn't give the defense time to get to the quarterback. I thought that was an excellent game plan by the coaching staff that played to the strength of the team--their speed. We probably won't get a true feel for where the line play is until game 3 vs Beechwood. They won't be overwhelmed by our speed and we'll have to be able to give Hatcher time to throw and give Doan some room to run inside.

I was extremely impressed with the defense. The only play that they struggled with was the 4 or 5 times that the Mason County quarterback was flushed and the up some prayers. They seemed to freeze waiting on them to come down. That's just nitpicking though. If the other team's best play is to have the quarterback run backwards 10 yards and throw up no look jump balls you've had a pretty good night.

There is a lot to improve on but I saw a lot to be excited about.

Fair enough assessment. Just glad to be off the snide at this point.
Coming from a Shelby Valley fan down here in the eastern part of the state! Good to see the jumpers on the rise! I've told Everyone around here since the season ended that If Our boys want to be back 2 back region champs we don't need to worry about prestongburg (which was proven lastnight by the Pikeville Panthers). That we better be ready for a hungry somerset team. We played you all in the first round of the playoffs and our guys thought since you were 0-10 we'd have a cake walk. Well you all got ahead early and thank God we pulled it together and came back. But you all were the best team in your district without a doubt in my mind last year, cause we beat LCA 4 td's the next week. Goodluck somerset from a shelby valley fan & I hope to meet you on the region championship.
Did the bunnies look that good or was the comp down? I'm not as familiar with Mason Co.
Gator95 Wrote:Coming from a Shelby Valley fan down here in the eastern part of the state! Good to see the jumpers on the rise! I've told Everyone around here since the season ended that If Our boys want to be back 2 back region champs we don't need to worry about prestongburg (which was proven lastnight by the Pikeville Panthers). That we better be ready for a hungry somerset team. We played you all in the first round of the playoffs and our guys thought since you were 0-10 we'd have a cake walk. Well you all got ahead early and thank God we pulled it together and came back. But you all were the best team in your district without a doubt in my mind last year, cause we beat LCA 4 td's the next week. Goodluck somerset from a shelby valley fan & I hope to meet you on the region championship.
Was a little surprised how many Shelby Valley fans I saw at the game last night vs Prestonsburg
PHSForever Wrote:Was a little surprised how many Shelby Valley fans I saw at the game last night vs Prestonsburg

I was in attendance lastnight too. I guess some of us wanted to come watch District Rival Pburg and see what we'd have to compete with this year. But I'm more concerned about Leslie County than I am Pburg now. Also, Valley didn't play play lastnight. They play today at 6. Something to do with the trip being so long to Franklin.
mysonis55 Wrote:Did the bunnies look that good or was the comp down? I'm not as familiar with Mason Co.

Jumpers are much improved over last season but I think that Mason County will be in a rebuilding year. I've heard the Royals looked solid but it is not your typical Mason County. The Jumpers are better for sure, but we probably won't know how much so until after the Beechwood game.
Man, its about time the Jumpers get a win. Congrats to you all! Much needed for the program!
JumperPride1 Wrote:Fair enough assessment. Just glad to be off the snide at this point.

Me too. Having been part of the 0-9 team in 86 getting an overtime win in our first game of 87 was a huge confidence booster that helped propel us to a regional championship the next season. We had a tough early schedule in 87 and if we'd have dropped the first one the losing streak would have been a bigger and bigger mental hurdle as it grew. Now the boys can just concentrate on getting better and getting ready for the games that really matter.