Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 10 Win % Programs in State in 2000's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was just on the KHASS webpage looking at the winning percentages of some of the schools in the state and found some interesting statistics.

1) Trinity 88.1%
2) Boyle Co 88.0%
3) Danville 85.1%
4) Male 84.0%
4) St X 84.0%
6) Rockcastle Co. 83.1%
7) Beechwood 80.8%
8) Bowling Green 80.2%
9) Russell 80%
10) Newport Central Catholic 79.8%

Some other notables from area teams....

Belfy 77.1%
Breathitt Co. 72.6%
Pikeville 70.8%
Mason Co. 69.4%
Ashland 68.6%
Paintsville 63.5%
Johnson Central 57.9%
Raceland 55.7%

Thought some people would find this cool. Glad to see my Red Devils in the top 10. Goes to show that they have began to elivate the program into one of the best in the state. Go Devils! :devilflam :1:

What's everyone else's thoughts on the list?
You know this goes back to a post you made earlier about Private vs. Public. I totally agree with you on this now. We have been trying to elevate to that level and get better. The problem I see is that most programs in the area are slow to "change". We have seen some teams go to the fast pace spread, shotgun, no huddle. Its just rare in this area and people here are used to "smashmouth, up-the-middle, Football". We know whats comming and its easy to decifer but hard to defend. Exspecially with a team that gets winded easily or isn't physically matched. But when a faster team comes along and can get to the ball faster than a play can develope it beats a team mentally. At that point strength doesn't matter. Speed cannot be taught.
I think spped can be taught to a certain degree. I think with the right amount of strenght conditioning, stretching, agility drills, and pure desire by the athlete, you can aquire speed/quickness. Look how Russell has been able to take their program to a higher level over the last few years. The athletes have had a higher level of dedication to the weights and agility drills. Josh Gross and his class may have never won a state championship at Russell but they sure helped lay the foundation. When the younger players saw his dedication, it helped bring up the level of play/dedication of the entire team. Now, having said that, I'm not saying you can take someone who has a 6.0 forty and turn him into a 4.4 guy. BUT, you can help him get more speed, durability, and power by having a great offseason program. That is what I think Russell is beginning to have in common with these other programs. HOPEFULLY, we won't rest, EVER. We'll have to upgrade our facilities, our offseason program, and combine that with the wonderful tradition we have at Russell. Maybe then we won't have announcers at the state championship game announcing our head football coach and living ledgend from Russell county.....Rolleyes
Fleming County has a 68.7 winning percentage over that same period.
Sheldon Clark has a 59.2 win pct%
While Flemings' and Sheldon Clarks winning percentages are repectable, I would not consider them elite in the state. Again, no disrespect intended, I don't think they've got their program to an elite status yet.
Had Johnson Central not have had three seasons in a row of no more than 2 wins, they would be up there. I think the went 2-8 in 2001, 2-8 in 2002 and 1-9 in 2003. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Look at all those Private schools, man how can you public school people compete?

There are only 3 privates on that list.
RedDevilStXIUFan Wrote:Was just on the KHASS webpage looking at the winning percentages of some of the schools in the state and found some interesting statistics.

1) Trinity 88.1%
2) Boyle Co 88.0%
3) Danville 85.1%
4) Male 84.0%
4) St X 84.0%
6) Rockcastle Co. 83.1%
7) Beechwood 80.8%
8) Bowling Green 80.2%
9) Russell 80%

Belfy 77.1%
Breathitt Co. 72.6%
Pikeville 70.8%
Mason Co. 69.4%
Ashland 68.6%
Paintsville 63.5%
Johnson Central 57.9%
Raceland 55.7%

Thought some people would find this cool. Glad to see my Red Devils in the top 10. Goes to show that they have began to elivate the program into one of the best in the state. Go Devils! :devilflam :1:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
98 Wrote:Look at all those Private schools, man how can you public school people compete?

I think 3 out of 55 is a big deal!
98 Wrote:Look at all those Private schools, man how can you public school people compete?

Hey 98, which school do you support? Are They a Private organization?
RedDevilStXIUFan Wrote:While Flemings' and Sheldon Clarks winning percentages are repectable, I would not consider them elite in the state. Again, no disrespect intended, I don't think they've got their program to an elite status yet.

I agree, but I feel comfortable mentioning them in the same sentence as some of the other area teams that were listed.

While I don't have an issue with the whoole private/public issue. IMO I think it boils down to championships. I think if we looked at the championship history in the 2000's era we might see a different trend. I'll try to do that soon unless someone else beats me to it. All I was trying to do with the post was point out that Russell is BEGINNING to elivate it's program to an elite level. NOT get into a private vs public debate.
RedDevilStXIUFan Wrote:While I don't have an issue with the whoole private/public issue. IMO I think it boils down to championships. I think if we looked at the championship history in the 2000's era we might see a different trend. I'll try to do that soon unless someone else beats me to it. All I was trying to do with the post was point out that Russell is BEGINNING to elivate it's program to an elite level. NOT get into a private vs public debate.

Yes, I agree with your statement on an earlier post. My eyes have been opened to the subject. Its not just about private/public. Just wish the area's programs would elevate to that status quicker. It has taken several years to open thier eyes too. We have the talent in this area. The question is, how do you tap into it? That is, to stay competitive with those who have already risen to that level of elite programs. I guess its jealousy that many feel about the championships. I guess the more we play those who do excel, the more our programs learn. Playing those elite teams don't happen until most go to the play-offs. IMO, that is why most in this area are slow to change.
Prestonsburg's is 64%
RedDevilStXIUFan Wrote:Was just on the KHASS webpage looking at the winning percentages of some of the schools in the state and found some interesting statistics.

1) Trinity 88.1%
2) Boyle Co 88.0%
3) Danville 85.1%
4) Male 84.0%
4) St X 84.0%
6) Rockcastle Co. 83.1%
7) Beechwood 80.8%
8) Bowling Green 80.2%
9) Russell 80%

Belfy 77.1%
Breathitt Co. 72.6%
Pikeville 70.8%
Mason Co. 69.4%
Ashland 68.6%
Paintsville 63.5%
Johnson Central 57.9%
Raceland 55.7%

NICE!!
thats some really cool stuff to bad my team isn't on there though lol. and about the public/private debate i don't get it. they have to work just as hard as anyone else to get were they are, so shouldn't they be awarded for hard work not shut out of the state championship.
blackcat_student Wrote:Prestonsburg's is 64%

Is that counting the 2004 season when they forfeited every game they won that year?
IRISH4 Wrote:Is that counting the 2004 season when they forfeited every game they won that year?

Why did they forfeit games?

I remember Belfry had to forfeit a game to Russell during the 1988 season for a KHSAA Rules violation.

Belfry actuall won the game but the final outcome was:

Russell-1
Belfry-0

That made us the District Champs that year. LOL

BTW I always wondered what the violation was and why was the rule violated in the first place?

Belfry fans should know the answer to this.
DevilsWin Wrote:Why did they forfeit games?

I remember Belfry had to forfeit a game to Russell during the 1988 season for a KHSAA Rules violation.

Russell-1
Belfry-0

BTW I always wondered what the violation was and why was the rule violated in the first place?

Belfry was not in Russell's district in 1988. The districts were realigned for the 1987 season. Russell was in a district with Ashland, Montgomery Co. Rowan Co, and East Carter. The top two from each district made the playoffs.
Russell's 4 game loosing streak in 2001 is what hurts their percentage.

21-20 vs Boyd Co
27-14 vs Mason Co
24-3 vs Fleming Co
28-0 vs Wheelersburg, OH

Russell hasn't had back to back losses since.
DevilsWin Wrote:Why did they forfeit games?

Russell-1
Belfry-0

Prestonsburg had a player ineligible.
Redneck Wrote:Had Johnson Central not have had three seasons in a row of no more than 2 wins, they would be up there. I think the went 2-8 in 2001, 2-8 in 2002 and 1-9 in 2003. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnson Central in the 2000's
2000 11-1
2001 1-8-1
2002 2-8
2003 1-9
2004 7-3
2005 8-3
2006 13-1
blackcat_student Wrote:Prestonsburg had a player ineligible.

And what is the excuse for that Prestonsburg people?

Why commit a rules violation like that. What are the reasons?