Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rams, Devils pass the eye test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.dailyindependent.com/sports/r...l?mode=jqm

Sounds like preparation for the upcoming season is off to a good start for the Rams and Red Devils. Both teams had good showings at Russell's 7-on-7 tournament this past weekend. I like the fact that Maynard and Salmons aren't hiding their optimism. When you combine that with the optimism surrounding the Tomcats, Musketeers, and Eagles, this is shaping up to be a great season for our little corner of the state.
Most certainly will be. Tomcats, Red Devils, Rams, Musketeers, Eagles (both Fview and JC), Dawgs, and Tigers are all looking to make storied runs. Would love to see a "US 23" road to BG!!
yeaaah they won a two hand touch tournament. give me a break:hilarious:
they had to write about something in south greenup.... your old coach actually stole the headlines. see ya in october
Glad to see the Devils filling some voids. Should be a good year behind the huge line we'll be having.
scrappy coco Wrote:yeaaah they won a two hand touch tournament. give me a break:hilarious:

What's the matter snappy coo coo??? Mad cuz the deadwood beagles are back to normal with no prayer in hell of ever winning again?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Most certainly will be. Tomcats, Red Devils, Rams, Musketeers, Eagles (both Fview and JC), Dawgs, and Tigers are all looking to make storied runs. Would love to see a "US 23" road to BG!!

23 doesn't go to Bowling Green :biggrin:
scrappy coco Wrote:yeaaah they won a two hand touch tournament. give me a break:hilarious:

:truestory:
pjdoug Wrote:23 doesn't go to Bowling Green :biggrin:
Are you saying unless a ticket is purchased? Lol
DevilWatcher Wrote:Glad to see the Devils filling some voids. Should be a good year behind the huge line we'll be having.
Any idea what the o-line's going to look like? Montanez and Mell are back at the gaurd spots, but the other three positions are still a question mark to me.
pjdoug Wrote:23 doesn't go to Bowling Green :biggrin:

Unless u have to take 23 to 64 to 65...which i expect some of the teams i listed to be doing so come december.
Guys Scrappy is just trying to have a little fun.And we should let him cause once the season starts there is not much fun to be had in McMusic's Turd Coop hahahaha
BITW NOT!!!!!
Scrappy is just a little butt hurt because fairview was beaten by greenup and Racelands jv teams wins and loss's don't mean much in 7on 7's BUT when you get beat by jv teams it's very concerning
samson81 Wrote:Any idea what the o-line's going to look like? Montanez and Mell are back at the gaurd spots, but the other three positions are still a question mark to me.
Should have a great line. Now who plays on what side of the ball may be a question. Montanez, Mell, and Redden will be back. Sammy Smith will be back. No explanation needed on what he brings to the line after seeing limited play the last 2 seasons due to injury. Redden is a magician in being able to snuff out a play. Really excited for this years lineman. Also have Slone and Pennington who have strength and speed on their side. They also are linemen. That's just the seniors. A lot of good Juniors as well. I think you will see Montanez at Center.
I'm eager to see the progression of the linemen from last year to this year. Besides the kids already mentioned, there are several others that I want to see take big steps forward this season. Adams, Pierce, Erwin, & Gilliland are a few names that come to mind. Austin Braden, and Aaron Hill are a couple of incoming sophomores to look out for.

Regardless of how the lineup shakes out, the line of scrimmage should be a strength for Russell this year and the foreseeable future.
Hearing good things full of a lot of promise from both camps. Rail City Bowl should be a dandy this year. Both teams seem poised and primed for a great shot at playing in Bowling Green.
Raceland's got a better shot at getting to BG this year than Russell does, IMO. I think there's a good chance that the Devils could be better than last year, but not advance as far in the postseason. The gap between Russell and Belfry was pretty wide last season and the Pirates could also potentially be better this year as well.

Based on what Raceland has coming back and what Williamsburg & Pikeville lost, this might be Raceland's best shot at finally reaching a title game.

I expect Russell to coast into the RCB on at least a six(possibly more) game winning streak. After starting the season against an improved Greenup, we get Ironton & Ashland back to back before Boyd Co. and a below average district slate. The Rams should be a bit more battle tested coming into the regular season finale. Hopefully a soft district won't hurt Russell too much in its preparation for Raceland and the playoffs.
Russell just can't beat Ironton , never have and probably never will the only positive thing for Russell is TJ has 1 win against them while he was coaching at Raceland . I do expect both Russell and Raceland to beat Ashland this year . Raceland has a very tough schedule and I think Russell's weak schedule will hurt them when the Rams come calling in week 10 . Raceland 28 Russell 7
Thats a bold prediction. Imo, way too many factors tbd and too much time to between now and then to make any score predictionsz
Russell last beat Ironton in '77. That was a long time ago, but it still counts.... I think. :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure Russell has 3 or 4 wins over the Tigers, all time.

I think Russell & Raceland will be too evenly matched for one team to pull away from the other this year. I expect the atmosphere for that game to be the best in the area this season.
I was very impressed with the Pierce kid last year. He made a lot of plays from the DE position. Hope he has worked hard over the off season.
samson81 Wrote:Russell last beat Ironton in '77. That was a long time ago, but it still counts.... I think. :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure Russell has 3 or 4 wins over the Tigers, all time.

I think Russell & Raceland will be too evenly matched for one team to pull away from the other this year. I expect the atmosphere for that game to be the best in the area this season.

Where is the Raceland Russell game this year?
Jarons Wrote:Where is the Raceland Russell game this year?
It's at Russell.
Pierce looked every bit of 6'4" last year as a sophomore. If he puts in the work and fills out his frame, he could be a nightmare for anybody trying to block him the next two years.

This year's junior class isn't as big as the senior class, but what they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality. Conley, Pierce, Brewer, Brinkman, Ison, Blackburn, and Adams make for a strong nucleus in that class.

I want to see how many of last year's freshman standouts make a big impact on Varsity this year.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of season the Devils can have.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Thats a bold prediction. Imo, way too many factors tbd and too much time to between now and then to make any score predictionsz

Maybe right but still fun to do . I love this time of year
Absolutely. This is one of those major "What if" years. If the "unthinkable" South Greenup Co consolidation happened this years Devils and Rams together, would be a tough out for anyone across the state in the big classes
Scotty I can't wait till the Dawgs and Rams go at it again this year. I hope this years game will be better then last. Last season Lawrence just fell apart in that game and we had a lot of behind the scenes turmoil going on. I think the Raceland game was a good wake up call because they played better ball after that and just a few short weeks later they played lights out against Belfry in the October game. From what I've seen from practice to this point I think you are going to see a much more pass oriented offense this year.
I've been hearing the boy from Detroit may be a diamond in the rough for the Devils. Someone today at the JFL camp say they have been trying him at defensive tackle. Told me Sammy popped his shoulder out. Unsure of his present status. A lot of players helping out at the JFL camp. Conley looked bigger than last year to me. Pierce and Pennington should be pretty good DEs. They just have to remember not to rush inside so much. Our left side rotated probably more DEs because Logan played right so well. MLB is also a spot that's gonna be hard to fill. Landon stuffed the middle really well. We should have recievers galore this season as well. Should be a good year.
Pages: 1 2