Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell County.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My Green County Dragons open up against the Lakers-the first meeting of the schools since 2000 IIRC when they were district foes and the Dragons defeated the Lakers both in the regular season and the 2A playoffs.

The Lakers had an impressive run of regular seasons and the wheels kinda fell off last year despite having a Division 1 signee.

What kind of season are they expecting this year?
I believe Russell County is going to be down, again. Last year was the first of a 2-3 year down cycle I believe. As it is with most rural, "county" schools....you ride the waves as I'm sure you well know being from Green County. Ride them as long as you can at the top, and when they crash..because all waves do, just try to keep your head above water until you catch a new one.

Wishing Coach Sharp and his guys the best, though. One of my all time favorite programs in the state.

And, yes..they had a D1 signer last year, Coffey (sp?) was a heck of a talent and I have no doubt his best football is ahead of him. WKU got a steal with him. With that said, D1 linemen don't make the the overall impact on their HS team like that of QB/RB, obviously.
Couldnt agree more with the cycle comment.

Talent comes and goes and we have been fortunate to have some good runs lately.

At these small county schools, down years happen regardless of coach.
Russell had a strong scrimmage today. Very young but the future is bright. They can only go up from last season. A lot of talent and athletes just have to put it together. A lot of players quit from last season. They are rebuilding and replacing players. Tough season but I see the team coming out with 2-3 wins this season
14-7 I believe was the score, in favor of RC. Russell scored once on a pick 6 from their own endzone.
I know they had a fumble recovery and ran it all the way back to the 1 yard line before a Marion defender stripped the ball and it went out of the end zone. Defense looked better than offense but both need work. Coach Sharp and staff are use to 3-5 win seasons. They usually have a 2-3 year span where they are good then it's back to the bottom. But sharp knows how to deal with teams like this.
I watched most of it.

Defense hung in there in pretty good.

Offense, particularly O Line, had a tough day.