Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dynasties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the greatest dynasties in the history of Kentucky high school football?

I tried to create some sort of parameters for defining what a dynasty is (X amount of years, wins, titles etc.). Does longevity matter more than short term dominance? Do I place more value in a program that faces a challenging schedule year in and year out that maybe results in fewer wins like Lou. Central, for example? In the end I decided that I couldn't come up with a clear definition of a "dynasty", so I'm just gonna wing it.

Here's my top 10

10. Lynch Bulldogs '59-'71
4 state titles and 8 title game appearances(5 in a row from '59-'63) in 13 years. The first dynasty of the playoff era. I almost put Belfry '03-present in this spot as the numbers are about even, but Lynch won out because they won with much tougher restrictions (3 classes, far fewer teams made the playoffs).

9. Lou. Central Yellow Jackets '07-'12
Three consecutive titles('10-'12) and five in six years. A 63-25 record is a bit deceiving. Central played by far the toughest schedule in 3A each year. Had they played a more typical schedule for a 3A school, it's safe to assume they would have lost very few(if any) games.

8. Bowling Green Purples '11-'13
The final chapter is perhaps yet to be written on this program's great run. But for now I'm cutting it off at 2013. A 44-0 record and a championship three-peat cement their place in my rankings.

7. Danville Admirals '87-'94
104-11 record, 5 state titles, and a 42 game winning streak. Featured some of the fastest "small school" teams ever assembled in the bluegrass.

6. Ft. Thomas Highlands Bluebirds '96-'00
69-4 record, 3 consecutive titles and 4 in 5 years. Didn't shy away from playing some of Ohio's big boys. Highlands was loaded with talent. Lorenzen, Smith(Derek and Rob), Hamblen, Guidugli, and Grover just to name a few.

5. Mayfield Cardinals '09-present
84-6 record, 6 consecutive title games, 4 titles. Routinely whip on teams three or four times their size. Currently the best small school program in the state.

4. Beechwood Tigers '91-'99
116-12 record, 4-peat('91-'94), 7 titles in 9 years, 38 game winning streak. Team of the 90's. Yeagle built a monster.

3. Boyle Co. Rebels '99-'04
86-4 record, 5 consecutive titles, separate 47 and 25 game winning streaks. Little known fact about Chuck Smith: He has counted to infinity... twice. Also, I heard that his tears can cure cancer. It's a shame he never cries.(Seriously, this site needs a Chuck Smith facts thread.)

2. Ft. Thomas Highlands Bluebirds '07-present
113-7 record, 8 consecutive title games, state record 6 consecutive titles, 7 titles overall, 37 game winning streak('08-'10).

1. Trinity Shamrocks '00-present
One of the top programs in the country. The numbers are staggering: 11 of the last 15 "Big School" titles, avg. 12 wins a year, 85% winning percentage, too many college recruits to count. Kings of the Bluegrass State.

Honorable Mention: Belfry '03-present, Trinity '88-'90, Pikeville '87-'89, Breathitt Co. '95-'97, Ft. Campbell '07-'09, Paris '81-'83

I'm sure I missed a few. Feel free to critique or create your own list.
I like your list Samson. Very well done. Just for fun, you could include Boyle's era to really be '99 to '10. They really only had 2 "down" years in '06 and '07. Add to that the three year run under French ('08 was 13-1 and tough semi loss at Bell then two back to back 15-0 State Titles).

I wonder if Corbin would be considered just outside this list. From '76 to '82 the Hounds won 3 state titles and were runner-up once. Add to that a team with only one loss in '79 I believe.

Mayfield from '76 to '80 were very good with two titles and a runner-up. The '79 and '80 teams were as good as anyone in the state but lost to Ft Campbell along the way. Short time span however.

You might consider expanding Danville to 2004 or 2006. They won State Title in '00 and '01 and '03 when their only losses were to Boyle. They were in state finals in '98, '04 and '06. In fact from '84 to '06 they won 8 state titles in three different classes, 57 out of 58 games, and made three other state finals. Also lost in the semi-finals in '86, '88, '93 (Probably their best team in the run) and I think one other year.
Hatz Wrote:I like your list Samson. Very well done. Just for fun, you could include Boyle's era to really be '99 to '10. They really only had 2 "down" years in '06 and '07. Add to that the three year run under French ('08 was 13-1 and tough semi loss at Bell then two back to back 15-0 State Titles).

I wonder if Corbin would be considered just outside this list. From '76 to '82 the Hounds won 3 state titles and were runner-up once. Add to that a team with only one loss in '79 I believe.

Mayfield from '76 to '80 were very good with two titles and a runner-up. The '79 and '80 teams were as good as anyone in the state but lost to Ft Campbell along the way. Short time span however.

You might consider expanding Danville to 2004 or 2006. They won State Title in '00 and '01 and '03 when their only losses were to Boyle. They were in state finals in '98, '04 and '06. In fact from '84 to '06 they won 8 state titles in three different classes, 57 out of 58 games, and made three other state finals. Also lost in the semi-finals in '86, '88, '93 (Probably their best team in the run) and I think one other year.
I want to know where Danville gets all this speed Confusednicker:
If you wanted, you could extend Pikeville through '91, and add a runner-up. The '87, '88, '89 3-peat was the first ever in KY HS Football.
Hatz Wrote:I like your list Samson. Very well done. Just for fun, you could include Boyle's era to really be '99 to '10. They really only had 2 "down" years in '06 and '07. Add to that the three year run under French ('08 was 13-1 and tough semi loss at Bell then two back to back 15-0 State Titles).

Deciding a cutoff point is easier for some teams than it is for others. I thought about extending Danville's run through '03, but they went five years without winning a title and three years without even getting to a championship game. Second round exits in '96 & '97 and a 6 loss '99 season pretty much sealed it for me. Personally, I would consider '00-'06 to be a separate stretch of dominance.

Same goes for Boyle Co. Four years of no title game appearances and consecutive seasons with a .500 record and a losing record breaks up their dynasty for me.

Good call on Corbin and Mayfield of the late 70's/early 80's. I overlooked them.
Of the three most dominant "dynasties" currently intact(Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield), which one is in the best shape going forward? All three face some challenges ahead.

St.X, Male, and Scott Co. seem to have closed the gap on Trinity in recent years. Manual also played them tough last season.

Highlands moves up to a 5A class that features a program primed to join the elite(Pulaski Co.) and a perennial powerhouse that's just a year removed from three consecutive championships(Bowling Green).

Mayfield moves up to 2A, joining great programs like Murray, CAL, and potential dynasty in the making DeSales. All of those teams are in the west.
samson81 Wrote:Of the three most dominant "dynasties" currently intact(Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield), which one is in the best shape going forward? All three face some challenges ahead.

St.X, Male, and Scott Co. seem to have closed the gap on Trinity in recent years. Manual also played them tough last season.

Highlands moves up to a 5A class that features a program primed to join the elite(Pulaski Co.) and a perennial powerhouse that's just a year removed from three consecutive championships(Bowling Green).

Mayfield moves up to 2A, joining great programs like Murray, CAL, and potential dynasty in the making DeSales. All of those teams are in the west.

Highlands has been down just a little for Highlands but that never lasts long.they will be the team to beat most years. DeSales will likely be the main competition for Mayfield. The Cardinals will probably be the team to beat most years in 2A.
Pulaski county maroons 2013-15. 3 state finals, two state titles after this year.
No.
pjdoug Wrote:Highlands has been down just a little for Highlands but that never lasts long.they will be the team to beat most years. DeSales will likely be the main competition for Mayfield. The Cardinals will probably be the team to beat most years in 2A.
Highlands wasn't it's usual dominant self last year, but they were still good enough to bring home the big trophy. I'll be interested to see how they handle an improving CovCath, and potential match-ups with Pulaski Co. in the east over the next four years.

It's hard to predict this far in advance, but Mayfield and DeSales seem to be on a collision course for each other in the semi's this year. If that happens, it could be an epic showdown. Possibly even the de facto championship game. At the very least, Mayfield should find stiffer opposition in 2A.
Great list and nice work.

Just our luck in Bell co that we had to deal with 3 of those dynasties!!!!
Hatz Wrote:I wonder if Corbin would be considered just outside this list. From '76 to '82 the Hounds won 3 state titles and were runner-up once. Add to that a team with only one loss in '79 I believe.

Corbin resume from 1976-1983 was pretty strong.

'76 - State Champ
'77 - Lost by 1 pt to Mayfield in the finals.
'78 - Lost 1 game to Mboro, very controversial ending in this one.
'79 - Lost 1 game to Pburg in regional finals or semis.
'80 - State Champ
'81 - Lost 1 game to Mboro team led by Brian Williams.
'82 - State Champ
'83 - Lost 1 game, a heart breaker to a really good Somerset team.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Corbin resume from 1976-1983 was pretty strong.

'76 - State Champ
'80 - State Champ
'82 - State Champ

'79 it was in the AA Semi-Finals.

I've long thought that was an impressive run for the Hounds and probably their best years.

'76 - State Champ
'80 - State Champ
'82 - State Champ

Pretty sure it was Pikeville, 16-0.
Maroon State Champs Wrote:Pulaski county maroons 2013-15. 3 state finals, two state titles after this year.

Lol. Thats funny. I know that when I think about dynasties, Pulaski County is the first team I think about. #babysteps

'76 - State Champ
'80 - State Champ
'82 - State Champ
That is impressive. Corbin has never stepped down from the competition either and they have pulled some huge upsets over the years. I wonder how they have done against teams like Highlands in the past?
pjdoug Wrote:That is impressive. Corbin has never stepped down from the competition either and they have pulled some huge upsets over the years. I wonder how they have done against teams like Highlands in the past?

I'm not sure how many times they played, but I do know that Corbin put an end to a 25 game Highlands winning streak back in the 60's.

Highlands has obviously been at a different level than 98% of the rest of the state over the past 15 years or so though.