Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: If you could coach any team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you could coach any team in the state, who would you pick and why?
Own schools aside, I have always thought Ashland would be an awesome gig for a HS Football Coach. The tradition, relatively big city for KY, good enrollment, great fan support, Putnam, proximity to OH and WV, colors, etc... Shocked they have been down for so long.
5A Harlan County...I would bring a new style offense call the passing game they have the athletes. I would use the qb and wr more than just for warm-ups. I would own 5A in the east ( KEEP HARLAN ALIVE ) :Cheerlead The future is now the game has change. :football:
64SUR Wrote:5A Harlan County...I would bring a new style offense call the passing game they have the athletes. I would use the qb and wr more than just for warm-ups. I would own 5A in the east ( KEEP HARLAN ALIVE ) :Cheerlead The future is now the game has change. :football:
Good call 64SUR..BUT wait for it, the system has changed, and i think you will like it. It's gonna take some time but HC will be just fine.
I would want to go where money is not an issue and winning was almost a certainty.

Mayfield, Trinity, LexCath, Highlands, and DeSales would all be good options. Hard to screw up any of those with the resources, community support, feeder system, and talent pool at your disposal.
Aside from Harlan County, i would have to go with Whitley County. While it looks like they are on the right path finally, they've always had the kids there to get it done but just couldn't get them on the field. No reason that school shouldn't be in the running just about every year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I would want to go where money is not an issue and winning was almost a certainty.

Mayfield, Trinity, LexCath, Highlands, and DeSales would all be good options. Hard to screw up any of those with the resources, community support, feeder system, and talent pool at your disposal.
I agree with you to a certain point, but at the same time wouldn't you like to take a school that's usually at the bottom and see if you can build it up to something good? A challenge i guess i should say. It may be a bust but i think that would be interesting to try.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Aside from Harlan County, i would have to go with Whitley County. While it looks like they are on the right path finally, they've always had the kids there to get it done but just couldn't get them on the field. No reason that school shouldn't be in the running just about every year.

I agree.it has been to see all the wasted talent over the years.
Great thread, a lot of fun to think about. I'm sorry, I'm a homer, I'd take Pikeville. Tremendous tradition. Also, a lot of pressure to win, but I'd rather coach at a place that expects to be successful. If not Pikeville, I absolutely love what Chirico has done with Paintsville. The atmosphere there on a Friday night would make it a fun job - again with tradition and an expectation. Also, Harlan County. One of the nicest schools in the state and again, fan support.
Demarcus ware Wrote:I agree with you to a certain point, but at the same time wouldn't you like to take a school that's usually at the bottom and see if you can build it up to something good? A challenge i guess i should say. It may be a bust but i think that would be interesting to try.

Maybe once I have enough money for retirement and a couple State Championship rings so even if I failed people would not doubt my pedigree.

Big Grin
If I could I would choose the Purples of Bowling Greene. Great southern town with the resources available, and excellent community support. A very successful program.
The pulaski county maroons because they are the best team in the state .
Maroon State Champs Wrote:The pulaski county maroons because they are the best team in the state .

:hilarious:
For me, I would pick Saint Xavier or Ashland Blazer. I like PT, am absolutely shocked Ashland isn't a regional/state contender year in-year out. Maybe all they need is the right coach.
pjdoug Wrote::hilarious:

Pjdoug here you go again taking a shot at a poster who just answered the post question just like you did.......
Obvi Highlands would be number one homer style.

But I think Belfry would be a cool program to be at the helm of. I think I'd wear a triangle pirate hat on the sideline.
Gritty nasty but calculated and ready for the moment. Great tradition.

Also Male, they've kinda been sleeping. Would be cool to see them knock off St. X, Trinity, and Scott Co. and be the best big dog. Great tradition, opportunity to take over as big boss of KY.
McCreary Central of course.

Could you imagine how many NFL offers I would receive after I won a state title with that program in my first year. Anybody can win a title with some teams.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:McCreary Central of course.

Could you imagine how many NFL offers I would receive after I won a state title with that program in my first year. Anybody can win a title with some teams.
Confusednicker:

Thats what I was saying earlier. Give me a bottom team and I would want to build it up. where's the fun in coaching alot of these ready made teams. Lol
Panther Thunder Wrote:Own schools aside, I have always thought Ashland would be an awesome gig for a HS Football Coach. The tradition, relatively big city for KY, good enrollment, great fan support, Putnam, proximity to OH and WV, colors, etc... Shocked they have been down for so long.

You aren't the only one shocked about being average or barely above it for too long. Greenup County would be the school for me. Has a State Title and with the right guidance and participation could bring one home again someday. Always had a soft spot for them.
Jenkins Cavaliers because I love underdogs Smile
pjdoug Wrote:Jenkins Cavaliers because I love underdogs Smile
Nice. Give me Berea or Lynn Camp Smile

Do good with that and the next job is huge Confusednicker:
Demarcus ware Wrote:Nice. Give me Berea or Lynn Camp Smile

Do good with that and the next job is huge Confusednicker:

good choices.if you can win there you can win anywhere.The thread says in the state or I would go about two miles across the state line and choose Jellico Smile
T-CATS Wrote:You aren't the only one shocked about being average or barely above it for too long. Greenup County would be the school for me. Has a State Title and with the right guidance and participation could bring one home again someday. Always had a soft spot for them.
Greenup Co. has always had the potential to do well in all sports. Politics has always gotten in the way of any sustained success. If I was a coach, I would never coach there due to all the politics.
If I was a coach, I would like to start out at a school like Mayfield or Highlands as an assistant to learn what it takes to maintain success at a high level. Then I would like to go somewhere like Raceland, Paintville or Willamsburg who are just on the cusp of winning it all and use that knowledge to help them get over the top and win a championship.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Confusednicker:

Thats what I was saying earlier. Give me a bottom team and I would want to build it up. where's the fun in coaching alot of these ready made teams. Lol

I'd meet you halfway on that. I'd like to take over one of the Lexington public schools and build them into the powers that they can and should be. If Scott County can compete you can't tell me Tates Creek, Henry Clay, Dunbar, Bryan Station or Lafayette can't.
RoShamBo Wrote:I'd meet you halfway on that. I'd like to take over one of the Lexington public schools and build them into the powers that they can and should be. If Scott County can compete you can't tell me Tates Creek, Henry Clay, Dunbar, Bryan Station or Lafayette can't.

all those teams should be ahead of Scott County,but most seasons it seems Lexington Catholic is the only good team in Lexington.
RoShamBo Wrote:I'd meet you halfway on that. I'd like to take over one of the Lexington public schools and build them into the powers that they can and should be. If Scott County can compete you can't tell me Tates Creek, Henry Clay, Dunbar, Bryan Station or Lafayette can't.

Henry Clay always seems to be the best out of Lexington on a consistent basis, with Tates Creek having somewhat of a good history, but look at the job Bryant Station did a few years ago, especially when they were in 5A. They were a play or two away from beating Highlands and possibly winning a title a couple weeks later. They turned it around. Dunbar is huge, theres no reason they shouldn't be productive. Ive always hear Lafayette would be the most difficult do to problems.
This is a homered opinion, but I would like to coach at Russell. The stability is great, it's a school that's always put emphasis on academics and athletics, the tradition is there, and the booster support is very good for the program. The fan support hasn't always been there but from '02 to '07 (the program's best run as a whole), the fan support was fantastic. Fan-based traditions need to be started at Russell in order to get the fans involved.

If not at Russell, I would also love to try to build Lewis County into a consistent winner. I think that the talent's there to do so, but the supporters of the program need to let the coaching staff put their hands on the feeder program and allow the kids to buy into the system that's being presented. Anybody who takes them to a regional final would be making major inroads.

Boyd and Lawrence would also be great schools to coach at because of the tradition that's present at both schools. 15 years ago, Boyd County was in the playoffs in the highest classification in the state (4A in '99 and '00) and were very competitive even at that level. I don't know what it's going to take to get them back on that track, but it's going to be very tough, especially with the success that they've had in baseball and basketball.

As for Lawrence, their feeder system is always very competitive, but for some reason, it's not translated to deep playoff runs over the past 10-15 years. I'd love to see them get back to the Lawrence County that many saw in the 90's, but at the same time, that decade produced a special group of players and coaches that is matched by few in EKY.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Henry Clay always seems to be the best out of Lexington on a consistent basis, with Tates Creek having somewhat of a good history, but look at the job Bryant Station did a few years ago, especially when they were in 5A. They were a play or two away from beating Highlands and possibly winning a title a couple weeks later. They turned it around. Dunbar is huge, theres no reason they shouldn't be productive. Ive always hear Lafayette would be the most difficult do to problems.

Lafayette loses the most kids out of all of them to Lexington Catholic and Christian as well with both of them being in Lafayette's district.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:McCreary Central of course.

Yea, well come on over. We need some help.:thatsfunn
Well that that is real easy, Trinity because they have the most PLAYERS!! Its no secret guys the team with the best players usually wins!!! You here this crap about what a great coach Beatty is he has the MOST and the BEST players. For my money Shawn Thompson is the best coach in the state. This guy took WAYNE COUNTY did you hear me WAYNE COUNTY to the state championship.
Pages: 1 2