Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sentinel Echoe loves North Laurel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have never seen such one sided sports coverage. In all sports especially basketball.:Cheerlead
Buy today's "Corbin Time Tribune" It's got a nice article on South Laurel, basketball. :biggrin:
The corbin times is considered the north laurel gazette.....its ridculous the coverage or lack there of it gives to its own school in town or other schools south.
OLDBALLCOACH Wrote:The corbin times is considered the north laurel gazette.....its ridculous the coverage or lack there of it gives to its own school in town or other schools south.

All I saw in it every time I read it this spring was south laurel softball.
The Outsider Wrote:All I saw in it every time I read it this spring was south laurel softball.

Its no secret that the Times Tribune has been considered the South London Sports Page for about a decade now.

You can expect to see a lot of South Softball stuff in there for at least 3 more years and maybe longer if the one writing the stuff has more kids coming threw. I rejoiced the day it appeared the Times Tribune was going to wipe the staff and start fresh and crap if they didn't put some right back in pretty much full time. I just don't get it. Nobody in Corbin or Whitley County care anything about London or Laurel county. Not even in the slightest. Im okay with covering them but when an entire sports page is dedicated to one team, and always has at least one picture of one particular player, im thinking the substance level has gone off the grid.
The so called "CORBIN" Times Tribune falls in love with a team every year. That team is never a Corbin team. Last year they had a collective orgasm over North Laurel basketball. One of Corbin's biggest basketball wins last season was a win over Perry County Central and the Times Tribune didn't even mention it. In the spring, its South Laurel softball and baseball 24/7. Its a shame the News journal only publishes once a week, they at least cover Corbin and the Whitley County teams.
The Corbin Times has been a Joke for several years now.
jamesdeane Wrote:The so called "CORBIN" Times Tribune falls in love with a team every year. That team is never a Corbin team. Last year they had a collective orgasm over North Laurel basketball. One of Corbin's biggest basketball wins last season was a win over Perry County Central and the Times Tribune didn't even mention it. In the spring, its South Laurel softball and baseball 24/7. Its a shame the News journal only publishes once a week, they at least cover Corbin and the Whitley County teams.

Just curious i didn't know they was a corbin times tribune newspaper. :popcorn:
it is just like the commonwealth journal in somerset Kentucky, we win the 5A state title in football somerset goes 0-10 all you hear about somerset. we pound somerset in basketball in the 47th district all CJ talks about Somerset, somerset. Pulaski County fans know how you feel.
Maroon State Champs Wrote:it is just like the commonwealth journal in somerset Kentucky, we win the 5A state title in football somerset goes 0-10 all you hear about somerset. we pound somerset in basketball in the 47th district all CJ talks about Somerset, somerset. Pulaski County fans know how you feel.

If that paper is based in Somerset I can see why. I would be fine if the times tribune was all about Corbin since it is a Corbin paper and is located there. however they've always tried to wear britches too big for them and cover every team in the tri county area which is Whitley, Knox, and Laurel. That's 8 high schools. It usually just becomes a colossal mess with one paper a week talking about two teams. So each day it pretty much covers two different teams and you never know which day will be what until football season when Saturdays paper highlights all the games. Fridays are decent previews but has almost the entire sports page covered in one guys predictions that I thought didn't even work there anymore.

Personally I subscribe to the Whitley Republican News Journal. they cover Whitley, corbin and Wburg. The paper only comes out every Wednesday and has all of the coverage you need in one day. Usually pretty well thought out and structured well. They tried covering lynn camp there for a few years and realized nobody cared or either nobody liked it, so thankfully that's pretty much stopped. I enjoy reading about those three schools and whats going on, but I don't care about Knox county or Laurel county even in the slightest bit, and there always one to print the best story out there whether it offends or not. Its the best option ive got, but pretty much the only option ive got as well. Every town or county should have that kind of paper.
64SUR Wrote:Just curious i didn't know they was a corbin times tribune newspaper. :popcorn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times-Tribune_(Corbin) ... Does this help?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If that paper is based in Somerset I can see why. I would be fine if the times tribune was all about Corbin since it is a Corbin paper and is located there. however they've always tried to wear britches too big for them and cover every team in the tri county area which is Whitley, Knox, and Laurel. That's 8 high schools. It usually just becomes a colossal mess with one paper a week talking about two teams. So each day it pretty much covers two different teams and you never know which day will be what until football season when Saturdays paper highlights all the games. Fridays are decent previews but has almost the entire sports page covered in one guys predictions that I thought didn't even work there anymore.

Personally I subscribe to the Whitley Republican News Journal. they cover Whitley, corbin and Wburg. The paper only comes out every Wednesday and has all of the coverage you need in one day. Usually pretty well thought out and structured well. They tried covering lynn camp there for a few years and realized nobody cared or either nobody liked it, so thankfully that's pretty much stopped. I enjoy reading about those three schools and whats going on, but I don't care about Knox county or Laurel county even in the slightest bit, and there always one to print the best story out there whether it offends or not. Its the best option ive got, but pretty much the only option ive got as well. Every town or county should have that kind of paper.

The News Journal is the only paper in the area for sports coverage. I dont like the Times Tribune either.
I think the News Journal used to be really good, especially when Mitch Howard was there, but the writing isn't what it was in the old days.
The Times Tribune covers a big area pretty well and looks very good with some excellent photography and layout.
HCS Wrote:I think the News Journal used to be really good, especially when Mitch Howard was there, but the writing isn't what it was in the old days.
The Times Tribune covers a big area pretty well and looks very good with some excellent photography and layout.

The News Journal gave sports to a relatively young guy I think late 20's when McAllister quit. You can tell he's still figuring things out and being careful not to piss anyone off, but hes getting there.

I will give you photography at the Times. Chris Parsons takes great pics. And to be honest is pretty good at writing articles. I enjoyed the little bit Dixon left and it was mainly him and the other guy. Not too bad then. The kid at the News Journal takes a lot of his own pics which is another added job that most don't have to do. When he gets Mark White to take pics, the News Journal pics are every bit as good as anyone elses.
Corbin Times Tribune, sports demographics is really made up of these schools Corbin, Lynn Camp, South Laurel and Whitley Co. These schools are all connected to the city of Corbin in some way. These are the people that's going to buy the CTT paper.

Just my opinion...
Bluegrassmusic Wrote:Corbin Times Tribune, sports demographics is really made up of these schools Corbin, Lynn Camp, South Laurel and Whitley Co. These schools are all connected to the city of Corbin in some way. These are the people that's going to buy the CTT paper.

Just my opinion...

There is Justas many stories about Knox Central, Barbourville, Williamsburg, and North Laurel as there is any other.
Corbin News Journal :1:
Sentinel in a no win scenario between NL and SL fan bases. They do ok. Give them a break.
Here we go again!!! If you read the Friday paper NL boys and girls are going to win the State Tournament.