Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is all East Ky Football On The Rise?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With Traditional powers and up and comers seemingly everywhere, is east Kentucky football on the rise? with Individuals getting national recognition and recruitment, is the perception of east KY football changing?
Not sure if all that is true, but I will say that the 2015 season should be one of the better years from the East in a while.

My far though is it is about to take a drastic dip in years to come due to the coal mining industry
I definitely Understand the economic side of the discussion but with the possibilities of the large jump in oil and gas production in areas of the region i am hopeful that some of that job loss may be offset. If we can get to a point where coal is more freely allowed to be exported i think that too can mitigate economic concerns. on the football side i see many east teams set to make runs at bowling green with reasonable expectations for titles. Add to that Rivals has a chart showing the ratio of D1 football guys coming from the state is about in the middle, plus we have seen some of our eastern KY young men get opportunities lately that seem more than usual ( that may only be my perception)
https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1328639
I'm with EKU on this one. I think we r just seeing an upswing now , not sure it will last that long due to economy
Yes. Imo,it is on the rise and it's about time. We all know what the coal industry is up against, and there's no diversification of industry in E. Ky. I do agree with one poster that referred to the oil, and gas industry. An upswing would definitely help with jobs, but if outside interest would invest, then just maybe families and jobs could stay where it belongs; in good ol' E.Ky., and then just maybe football teams might sustain it's rise. jmo.
BlueCrew34 Wrote:With Traditional powers and up and comers seemingly everywhere, is east Kentucky football on the rise? with Individuals getting national recognition and recruitment, is the perception of east KY football changing?

No.its weak and gonna get weaker.
Ive thought about this before. Here is one of my thoughts. What about the number of coaches that coached at schools for 25+years that's left or gone somewhere else in the last couple of years? You know the ones, run right, run left, never pass, old school football is the way its going to be kind of guys.
I think a lot of what ive been seeing lately that makes it look like EKY football in general is better is because many schools in EKY have evolved and changed there mindset over the past few years. They have finally learned you will never win a title with a 5 play playbook and a load the box defense.
Look what its done for schools like Pulaski, and heck, Hines is still there, but he changed his way of thinking.
It may just be me, but I think that has a lot to do with it. More exciting football and running a lot of different balanced plays with complicated defenses make the game seem much more high speed and not as dull making it appear the players and teams are much better, and really they are.
Im with EKU though, take it from a guy that works in the coal industry. If something major doesn't change in the next five years and we don't elect leaders who understand that, then schools populations in EKY will fall dramatically. Its real simple. Unemployment with high theft and drug rate or move and work in a factory pushing a broom for 20 bucks an hour in a city. Most will leave. To put it bluntly, there is a shit load of coal left in EKY. More than you could ever imagine and some not even discovered or old mines that left a lot that high wall miners haven't went back in an claimed. Problem is, they wont let you mine it, and if you do, theres fewer and fewer places left to buy it.

I really do think football this year is going to be exciting. A lot of traditional powers and a lot of school just getting off the ground, I don't however see a completely dominant force in EKY like weve seen before, but overall the parity and the way the game is played will be very nice to watch.
Whitley is not getting any stronger.........
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive thought about this before. Here is one of my thoughts. What about the number of coaches that coached at schools for 25+years that's left or gone somewhere else in the last couple of years? You know the ones, run right, run left, never pass, old school football is the way its going to be kind of guys.
I think a lot of what ive been seeing lately that makes it look like EKY football in general is better is because many schools in EKY have evolved and changed there mindset over the past few years. They have finally learned you will never win a title with a 5 play playbook and a load the box defense.
Look what its done for schools like Pulaski, and heck, Hines is still there, but he changed his way of thinking.
It may just be me, but I think that has a lot to do with it. More exciting football and running a lot of different balanced plays with complicated defenses make the game seem much more high speed and not as dull making it appear the players and teams are much better, and really they are.
Im with EKU though, take it from a guy that works in the coal industry. If something major doesn't change in the next five years and we don't elect leaders who understand that, then schools populations in EKY will fall dramatically. Its real simple. Unemployment with high theft and drug rate or move and work in a factory pushing a broom for 20 bucks an hour in a city. Most will leave. To put it bluntly, there is a shit load of coal left in EKY. More than you could ever imagine and some not even discovered or old mines that left a lot that high wall miners haven't went back in an claimed. Problem is, they wont let you mine it, and if you do, theres fewer and fewer places left to buy it.

I really do think football this year is going to be exciting. A lot of traditional powers and a lot of school just getting off the ground, I don't however see a completely dominant force in EKY like weve seen before, but overall the parity and the way the game is played will be very nice to watch.

Agree with everything you said except about Hines. He's always tried to run more of a spread offense he's just never quite had the horses until now. A few years, such as the Cole Draughn years of 02-03 at Pulaski, it probably would have benefited them more to pack it in and just pound it with the size that Pulaski always seems to have. Hines has always had a fairly progressive offensive mind, it did take Southwestern a while to get away from the veer offense though. Somerset has always been about 50/50 with a few exceptions when we had a lack of a passing QB. We're the opposite of Pulaski, we have to spread it around because we rarely have teams with a lot of size.
Can't buy into the theory that it is about style... The flagship programs of Eastern KY are ground and pound ( JC and Belfry). Like roshambo said Hines has ran the same thing for years. Has had some good teams just not great ones like he has now.

Maybe the answer is the KYMSFA. Many of the Eastern Ky teams that have been having success have been heavily involved. Starting theses teams early and keeping them together.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Can't buy into the theory that it is about style... The flagship programs of Eastern KY are ground and pound ( JC and Belfry). Like roshambo said Hines has ran the same thing for years. Has had some good teams just not great ones like he has now.

Maybe the answer is the KYMSFA. Many of the Eastern Ky teams that have been having success have been heavily involved. Starting theses teams early and keeping them together.

I have to agree with that and the larger schools need at least two middle schools Smile
Once again, what is considered "Eastern Kentucky", or a "mountain school". I don't consider schools in Pulaski County or Boyd County as being "mountain schools", because of their geographical location. When I think of mountain schools, I think of South East Kentucky.

I agree with EKU, I think this year we will see an upswing, but I don't see this being the case in the near future. I hope I am wrong, but with no jobs, a declining population, and an increasing drug epidemic, I can't see how football in Eastern Kentucky can stay competitive with other areas in the state.

Just look at some of the traditional powers in Eastern Kentucky, who are currently in decline or underachieving:

Breathitt County - The bobcats were once king of the mountains, but with the departure of Holcomb and losing 1/3 of the counties population in a ten year span, things are looking pretty grim in Jackson. From 2012 to 2014, I don't think I have ever seen a program's talent level decline so quickly.

Sheldon Clark - The Cardinals were one of the best programs in Eastern Kentucky during the last decade, only to drop completely off the map during the past four or five years. With the coal industry leaving Martin County, it doesn't look the Cardinals will field a competitive team any time soon.

Bell County - Since the departure of Dudley, the bobcats have fallen from grace. Once a top tier program in the state, the bobcats now have taken a back seat to Corbin, and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better.

Rockcastle County - Rockcastle fielded some of the best teams in Eastern Kentucky over the past decade, but this decade hasn't been to kind to the folks in Mount Vernon. Rockcastle was improved this year, but they are no where close to the machine they were back in the 2000's.

Harlan County - I know the school hasn't been in existence for a very long period of time, but before consolidation and after consolidation, Harlan County fielded some pretty good football teams. Until the past couple of years, Harlan County was one of the premier teams in Eastern Kentucky, but last year was just ugly.

Hopefully these schools, can get back to the dominant programs they once were, but we can't expect are athletics to keep improving, while losing hundreds of good jobs each year. I'm afraid this list could get a lot longer, if our economy doesn't improve.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Once again, what is considered "Eastern Kentucky", or a "mountain school". I don't consider schools in Pulaski County or Boyd County as being "mountain schools", because of their geographical location. When I think of mountain schools, I think of South East Kentucky.

I agree with EKU, I think this year we will see an upswing, but I don't see this being the case in the near future. I hope I am wrong, but with no jobs, a declining population, and an increasing drug epidemic, I can't see how football in Eastern Kentucky can stay competitive with other areas in the state.

Just look at some of the traditional powers in Eastern Kentucky, who are currently in decline or underachieving:

Breathitt County - The bobcats were once king of the mountains, but with the departure of Holcomb and losing 1/3 of the counties population in a ten year span, things are looking pretty grim in Jackson. From 2012 to 2014, I don't think I have ever seen a program's talent level decline so quickly.

Sheldon Clark - The Cardinals were one of the best programs in Eastern Kentucky during the last decade, only to drop completely off the map during the past four or five years. With the coal industry leaving Martin County, it doesn't look the Cardinals will field a competitive team any time soon.

Bell County - Since the departure of Dudley, the bobcats have fallen from grace. Once a top tier program in the state, the bobcats now have taken a back seat to Corbin, and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better.

Rockcastle County - Rockcastle fielded some of the best teams in Eastern Kentucky over the past decade, but this decade hasn't been to kind to the folks in Mount Vernon. Rockcastle was improved this year, but they are no where close to the machine they were back in the 2000's.

Harlan County - I know the school hasn't been in existence for a very long period of time, but before consolidation and after consolidation, Harlan County fielded some pretty good football teams. Until the past couple of years, Harlan County was one of the premier teams in Eastern Kentucky, but last year was just ugly.

Hopefully these schools, can get back to the dominant programs they once were, but we can't expect are athletics to keep improving, while losing hundreds of good jobs each year. I'm afraid this list could get a lot longer, if our economy doesn't improve.

I've never seen a mountain in Pulaski County,and most of the residents have never left the area so they dont even know what a mountain is Confusednicker:...seriously.I agree with your assessment.Eastern Kentucky has always been a poor area with all the coal money going to build cities like Lexington or Louisville or some city on the East Coast....now without any coal many the economy is really going to be brutal and population numbers will drop rapidly. I dont know what can replace coal to provide thousands of jobs in Kentucky but hopefully something comes up soon.
The west just had a little bit of a down year. I think the east will resume their role this year.
For generations many areas did not have football teams in East Ky, Basketball was KING. In many cases parents did not understand the game and did not support their young men playing. Now that football is a few generations in, and the popularity of the sport is the highest maybe ever, is it possible we are finally starting to get more athletes playing the game.
BlueCrew34 Wrote:For generations many areas did not have football teams in East Ky, Basketball was KING. In many cases parents did not understand the game and did not support their young men playing. Now that football is a few generations in, and the popularity of the sport is the highest maybe ever, is it possible we are finally starting to get more athletes playing the game.

I think the popularity of soccer is also affecting football programs in our area. Generally, these kids would be on the football field, but a lot of kids are opting out of playing football for soccer. You are right, in regards of football in Eastern Kentucky getting a late start compared to other areas in the state.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I think the popularity of soccer is also affecting football programs in our area. Generally, these kids would be on the football field, but a lot of kids are opting out of playing football for soccer. You are right, in regards of football in Eastern Kentucky getting a late start compared to other areas in the state.

I would think having a soccer team would help the football program instead of hurt it. Does Ohio have schools without a soccer team?
BlueCrew34 Wrote:Now that football is a few generations in, and the popularity of the sport is the highest maybe ever, is it possible we are finally starting to get more athletes playing the game.

Are you referring to EKY exclusively here? Nationwide, participation numbers in football are declining pretty significantly at all levels.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Are you referring to EKY exclusively here? Nationwide, participation numbers in football are declining pretty significantly at all levels.

This is absolutely correct. Participation numbers in youth football are down nationally anywhere from 16-24% over the last 8 years....and the number continues to rise. Soccer has definitely pulled some kids away from youth and high school football....but it's not just soccer. More and more kids are dropping out of playing in multiple sports and focusing on just one singular sporting activity. AAU basketball has blown up to epic proportions....too the point that kids literally play competitively for 12 months out of the year.

Additionally, all the head injury/safety issues that surround football....from youth to the pros...IMO, has definitely had an impact on the overall participation number decline.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:This is absolutely correct. Participation numbers in youth football are down nationally anywhere from 16-24% over the last 8 years....and the number continues to rise. Soccer has definitely pulled some kids away from youth and high school football....but it's not just soccer. More and more kids are dropping out of playing in multiple sports and focusing on just one singular sporting activity. AAU basketball has blown up to epic proportions....too the point that kids literally play competitively for 12 months out of the year.

Additionally, all the head injury/safety issues that surround football....from youth to the pros...IMO, has definitely had an impact on the overall participation number decline.

that, and most of them would rather have their nose in a computer as go through workouts from hell :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:I've never seen a mountain in Pulaski County,and most of the residents have never left the area so they dont even know what a mountain is Confusednicker:...seriously.I agree with your assessment.Eastern Kentucky has always been a poor area with all the coal money going to build cities like Lexington or Louisville or some city on the East Coast....now without any coal many the economy is really going to be brutal and population numbers will drop rapidly. I dont know what can replace coal to provide thousands of jobs in Kentucky but hopefully something comes up soon.

You are a idiot. Ill bet you voted for Obama.
Lilly Wrote:You are a idiot. Ill bet you voted for Obama.

You are "an" idiot. I bet you live in McCreary County and claim to be from Pulaski.
I voted for Obama twice. Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:You are "an" idiot. I bet you live in McCreary County and claim to be from Pulaski.
:okay:
64SUR Wrote:I voted for Obama twice. Confusednicker:

Confusedtare:

Confusederiously:

:oooo:
RoShamBo Wrote:Agree with everything you said except about Hines. He's always tried to run more of a spread offense he's just never quite had the horses until now. A few years, such as the Cole Draughn years of 02-03 at Pulaski, it probably would have benefited them more to pack it in and just pound it with the size that Pulaski always seems to have. Hines has always had a fairly progressive offensive mind, it did take Southwestern a while to get away from the veer offense though. Somerset has always been about 50/50 with a few exceptions when we had a lack of a passing QB. We're the opposite of Pulaski, we have to spread it around because we rarely have teams with a lot of size.

The 2003 Pulaski Team with Cole Draughn at QB (Some said he should be a RB, some a LB, some a TE) went 11-2 and played in the Regional Championship Game. Both losses were to state title winning Boyle County. Draughn became only the second player in the history of Kentucky High School Football to rush for over 2,000 yards, and pass for over 2,000 yards in the same season. I don't think they would have "benefited more to pack it in and just pound it."
I have no doubts you did.
Santa Monica Wrote:The 2003 Pulaski Team with Cole Draughn at QB (Some said he should be a RB, some a LB, some a TE) went 11-2 and played in the Regional Championship Game. Both losses were to state title winning Boyle County. Draughn became only the second player in the history of Kentucky High School Football to rush for over 2,000 yards, and pass for over 2,000 yards in the same season. I don't think they would have "benefited more to pack it in and just pound it."

I never said they weren't good teams. I was more referring to the 2002 season than 2003, but either way both of those Pulaski teams were huge up front and in the backfield. I'm not saying they didn't have success offensively and I know Cole Draughn was a great QB, I didn't need the history lesson. Just my opinion but from watching and playing against Cole Draughn-led Pulaski teams I thought they would have been better off to stay away from the spread. Again just my own opinion no offense intended.
Pages: 1 2