Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Baseball Dead in Kentucky?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, here we have the state tournament going on and there is almost zero talk about what is going on...Only two or 3 threads have even been started with a score of the game...And then very few posts on top of that.

Instead, the biggest topic of conversation is about district realignment...Kinda makes you wonder what has happened to everyone's interest in the game.
Baseball is dying I am afraid. I watched little league game last night and was stunned how far the talent level has dropped off.

I have kept up with the state tournament online, but nothing is on the board about it.
The decline is not limited to baseball, I think it crosses over to all sports. There are so many things competing for kids interest that often they choose other things over sports. Some kids only want to play one sport now. The days of a sporting event being the main activity for kids are over, it up to parents to try to keep their kids involved. However, many parents don't like to commit the time that it takes to get their kids to practice and games. I don't like it but I don't see it getting better anytime soon.
In Campbell Co. baseball has been dead for years. I have never watched HS baseball until this year. It is surprising that Highlands is in semifinals this year considering baseball is never talked about in Fort Thomas. Growing up every kid played on the Ft Thomas Jr baseball League. It does and has not excited for a long long time now. Will this help revive baseball in Ft Thomas or will it just be a one year wonder. Hopefully the success this year in baseball will make the AD, new football coach and players realize you can play and be successful in more than one sport. Good example is Alex Vennamen won state championships in 3 sports this year!
kai Wrote:The decline is not limited to baseball, I think it crosses over to all sports. There are so many things competing for kids interest that often they choose other things over sports. Some kids only want to play one sport now. The days of a sporting event being the main activity for kids are over, it up to parents to try to keep their kids involved. However, many parents don't like to commit the time that it takes to get their kids to practice and games. I don't like it but I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

I disagree, I do not see a decline in any sport but baseball. And it is not just HS, look at the major league, attendance continues to drop, and rosters are filled less and less American players. I think the speed of the game is just too slow for this generation of kids.
Hell no, it is alive and well, maybe just not on this blog
baseball is alive and well but the little league numbers are way down. I aint sure what that means for the future.
People cant appreciate the most pure of sport there is. The National Pastime. They are more interested in the social aspect of some game once a week on friday night, of kids butting heads and using nothing more than mere strength and speed to succeed, than an actual sport. Friday Night Lights suck, compared to the true game of this nation.

It must be in the water

Ps.... I failed to mention, Fathead Tackett is all about what brings the money in
Ring'Em Up Wrote:People cant appreciate the most pure of sport there is. The National Pastime. They are more interested in the social aspect of some game once a week on friday night, of kids butting heads and using nothing more than mere strength and speed to succeed, than an actual sport. Friday Night Lights suck, compared to the true game of this nation.

It must be in the water

Ps.... I failed to mention, Fathead Tackett is all about what brings the money in

Really? I do believe speed and strength are extremely important in baseball.
Friends that have kids playing in the Little League in the Tri-County area, tell me that the numbers are way down in their programs, the kids just are not there any longer. Not sure what they are doing, but they are NOT playing baseball at the Little League fields. Some may well be playing on summer travel teams or go out of town to stay with family during the summer, just not sure, but the numbers across three counties is down from what it used to be even 7-8 yrs. ago.
Little league players are down cause of all the travel ball that is starting to be played.
It's because you have college coaches. Summer travel baseball coaches , recruiters , telling kids they have to pick a sport and work only on that sport year round if they want to play at the next level and if they don't they will be behind on the kids who do only olay one sport
ky playmaker Wrote:baseball is alive and well but the little league numbers are way down. I aint sure what that means for the future.
Little league and other baseball leagues are dying but travel ball is huge. Baseball is becoming more like basketball with AAU. Your top kids all play travel.
I don't think baseball is dead I just think kids are exposed to other sports more. My son watches football all the time on TV and not much baseball. Baseball has a reputation for being an expensive sport also but you can get away with getting a cheaper bat and glove that still gives good performance. My son used an online site which I believe was Baseball Bargains which gave a cheaper alternative in equipment which will hopefully get more kids into the sport again.
It is down no doubt
ky playmaker Wrote:baseball is alive and well but the little league numbers are way down. I aint sure what that means for the future.

AAU basketball is one factor that is hurting youth baseball. That along with the fact that every parent thinks their son is going to UK on a basketball scholarship!
Family's moving due to economy, cell-phones, and X-Box have all contributed. Probably missed a few more reasons.
my opinion, it is down! I don't blame coaches telling kids to pick a sport! that is crazy!! baseball is a great sport, it is coaching that is hindering the sport, i.e., some make it boring.. but travel ball is key now a days! if you aren't traveling then you are behind, because everyone is traveling these days! I do believe there is a need for the leagues to create numbers and then travel afterwards, but good luck with that convincing all to do that. there are leagues out that there, that let the league play thru the week and travel on the weekends! it is a shame that baseball is in the state that it is in now, but partially it is due to the kids themselves and coaching and I don't mean coaches telling players to only play 1 sport. if anything they should know scouts want multi sport athletes these days... they want athletes playing baseball...
I believe that middle school baseball is picking up around the 13,14,and 15th regions. There is lot of travel involved but almost every team is competitive. High level of play.
Bob Seger Wrote:OK, here we have the state tournament going on and there is almost zero talk about what is going on...Only two or 3 threads have even been started with a score of the game...And then very few posts on top of that.

Instead, the biggest topic of conversation is about district realignment...Kinda makes you wonder what has happened to everyone's interest in the game.

Bob, it's just social media that is dead. The talk is still there, it's just no longer done on forum boards. The only one's that get on forum boards to talk are those who have no lifes (You and I excluded :ClapSmile
Stardust Wrote:Bob, it's just social media that is dead. The talk is still there, it's just no longer done on forum boards. The only one's that get on forum boards to talk are those who have no lifes (You and I excluded :ClapSmile

lol.....Wise words indeed Dusty!!
Everything moves in cycles. The league participation is down because of travel ball and the local leagues are too political(ie-daddyball). The competitive players can go elsewhere and get better baseball.
When was baseball ever alive?
If not for football money, none of the baseball teams around here could operate.
Depends on which part of the state you're in. Seems down in EKY but it was never that big. You go to Lexington/Louisville and the crowds are big and people seem more enthused about it.
Some baseball programs are still doing well in eastern Ky but basketball is all the KHSAA thinks brings the money in.Hazard has a great following in baseball but some schools barely bring any fan support and you can count the fans on both hands.That's a crying shame for the sport that we call America's past time.I remember when all the kids were collecting baseball cards and knew every Major League Player on a roster.That's not the case today,ask most Little League players certain big name players on teams,they have no idea who you are talking about.It's not just eastern Ky I'm afraid.
What's sad is that no one really cares! It's America's Pasttime and simple! Used to be where I'm from, baseball was the first sport you'd play. You'd play and and basketball though grade school, then came football/wrestling in middle school. Now it's all about football or all about basketball. And the kids aren't even good at it hit the parents treat them like they are. Whatever happened to the 3 sport athlete?