Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Berea job open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Adam Coleman steps down as head coach. Berea doesn't have a ton of players but has some good talent...interesting?...thoughts?
Berea has been a disaster for several years. Never seem to be able to reach that next level and put together a good season. Have had some good athletes but always seem to be short some where.
I watched them play twice last year...I wouldn't say a disaster because that's down playing what Coach Coleman and his boys did to win a few games the past few seasons. But it is hard when you have less than 250 kids in the building and have a team less than 20 on a consistent basis. It will be interesting to see who applies for this job.
His kids go to school at Rockcastle
Haye to see a coach step down this close to the season. Anyone within the system u all see steppig up? Paris is obviously a better team and have had more success in the past, but they are similar to Berea in the regard of having some decent atheletes and even some size, but never really being able to get to the next level for their programs.
Berea and Paris aren't anywhere near the same IMO when it comes to athletes. Night and day.
A good enought coach can overcome lack of talent at Berea, they don't play a hard schedule.
Maybe he should have recruited the hallway more, should have done better with the weak schedule they played
Paris and Berea are only similar if you look at them being 5 letter names for independent schools in KY. No other comparison can be made. I am going to say Coleman recruited the hallways best he could, but a lot of those buccaneers would rather be on a soccer field.
Bear Bryant cant win 7 games at Berea and if you think different you need to be committed or your son must play there and you think he is going to Florida or something.
Aaron Stepp is the only guy to win there and he only had one or two good years. Can't win at these schools the best thing is to get out while you can!
former Wrote:A good enought coach can overcome lack of talent at Berea, they don't play a hard schedule.
Maybe he should have recruited the hallway more, should have done better with the weak schedule they played

The "recruiting the halls" theory is too easy to back on. There was a day in time where it might have been the be all end all, but not anymore IMO.

The issue? Soccer. Berea like many rural schools and/or 1A schools need to decide if they want football or soccer.

I know jack squat nothing about soccer, but I do know this....you better be able to run if you want to play. Just a guess, but Berea, like many others don't have enough of those kids to try and support both sports with them being in the same season.

Not to mention, they are literally screwed in other basketball and baseball w/in their district having to battle Southern and Central, so they lose kids because of that as well (was told this by someone close with great knowledge).

...but, the run of the mill reasons sound better (I long fell into that trap myself).
Blame soccer all you want but not every boy plays soccer, only so many allowed on a team.

Seems like a yr or so ago they had some kids who were supposed I be big te college players and they still lost. Can't blame it on the kids or soccer, if that small school had a few kids who could play in college then they should have won vs that easy schedule, but they didn't.
DarthVader Wrote:Aaron Stepp is the only guy to win there and he only had one or two good years. Can't win at these schools the best thing is to get out while you can!

i agree Darth but the best thing would be to never take the job in the first place. Deadend
I have been around for 40 or more years and I cant tell you of 1 Berea player signing a big time college football scholarship. just cause mommy and daddy think Johnny is a college football player don't make it so.
Berea does have limited talent. I talked to the A.D. About who had applied and he wouldn't tell me, but I all he said was that some of the coaches who applied were very solid coaches. Winning does not mean much to Berea's administration just academics and I get that. Good night the two best sports in that school are cross country and track. Like I have said on here before there are some good players on that team but as you all know a couple don't cut it. i hate to say it but Berea needs to cut football! It would help other sports and be less of a financial burden which at small schools even if you don't want to admit it it is. With Southern, Central, and Rockcastle all within a stones throw kids who are good in middle school wind up going to one of those three anyway.
Paris and Berea are on two different wave lengths. I stated that. I just likened them to being in similar situation. Paris had some really good years in the past. But as of late, they have had some decent tallent, good size, a few stand out atheletes, but still havent been able to get back to where they were or get to thay next level. Berea is the same type of team, without the past success and on a much smaller scale.
Anybody heard anything...most tight lipped job in America?!?!?!
I know who....If he wants it, it's his. Guy is already in the school according to my friend in Berea.
If you are talking about Russ Shearer he didn't apply, I asked one of the AD's that last night.
Saw on the berea page they was looking for a athletic director to.
I was up to the swimming pool watching my niece swim in competition the other day and they have fenced the Berea Football Stadium off. I heard it has been condemned until a decision is made as to whether it is worth refacing and repairing or demolishing. That stadium has been there about as long as I remember back to and was constructed in 1970.
Berea can claim to be an academic school and use that all they want as to why they aren't winning, but it all comes down to the administration and how willing they are to put forth the effort into having a solid athletics program. There's always a trickle-down effect when it comes to this. Solid coaches aren't being hired solely because the administration doesn't put anything into finding one. It may not be their fault. It just may be something they aren't strong at. Having talent is a small piece of the overall puzzle. If you look at programs all over the nation that are consistently successful then you will also see an administration whose expectations are very high in athletics. Because of that, they spend a lot of time hiring the correct fit and they are also educated in knowing what to look for in a head coach. Without a solid head coach at the helm it is nearly impossible to build something succesful. Until Berea changes that aspect, and gives students a reason to pick them over Southern, nothing will ever change. Why do you think cross country and track are their beat sports? It takes very little coaching and it is based soley on an individual performance. The numbers do make it hard but there is a reason for the numbers. That is what needs to be addressed. Until then, Berea will be a revolving door of coaches. There isn't a good coach anywhere that will go into a situation knowing the support and expectations are not there. Everything starts at the top. Hiring coaches just because they're in the building is going to start the same cycle.
Well said.
Dead period will be over next week. They need to get a coach soon. Who has been doing their summer work outs?
Cluster F
any idea who they might hire?
I haven't heard anything.
Any candidates
For them to not have a coach in place by now speaks volumes!!!!!
I doubt anybody out there wants it.
Pages: 1 2