Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KAPOS Divisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
well i dont kno much about this but ive noticed my school lets girls who dont have back hand springs sit out at Kapos and just use ones who are better at Gymnastics!

EKY Sportster Wrote::thumpsup: Unless a school just wants to dress cheerleaders for ballgames only and NEVER compete or do gymnastics at all. I say this because I'm sure that there are some schools out there (mostly very small ones) where they use the cheerleaders for school spirit purposes but where the girls lack the ability to compete period, even on a small level. But any team that competes as a cheerleading squad and has competent cheerleaders should have to compete in KAPOS. It should be mandatory.
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:I think that they should definitly do that now because some squads don't try at games

:thumpsup:
IISnakE Wrote:Actually I just reread this previous post and realized I goofed it up... back in the day... before divisions, everyone just came and did a gymnastics cheer, a non-gymnastics cheer, and a dance routine (this is sorta kinda like today's Traditional Division) Many is the day that this poster has left a gym mad enough to pinch someone's head off... but then everyone has had those days. In order to incorporate more folks to "share the wealth"... additional divisions were added. This was helpful in bringing back more squads to the regional competitions. I personally believe the awarding of District Ribbons is pointless, but if they wanna do it... cool by me!
Now... here's what I REALLY think. Game Situation is no longer counting towards anything... but it ACTUALLY used to determine who competed @ the Regionall Competitions. In a way... THIS WAS ACTUALLY MORE REPRESENTATIVE OF WHO ACTUALLY HAS THE BEST SQUAD... IF ONE IS WILLING TO CALL THEMSELVES A CHEER LEADER. This way allowed the best group of cheer leaders to be rewarded for boosting the spirit of their school in a District Tournament game. The Winner and runner-up I believe then advanced to Regional Competition and the best squad there advanced to State At-Large. Now.... Brigid DeVries has opted to continue to use KAPOS judges and rules to govern their State Tournament in-game competitions... but has opted to refrain from recognizing the efforts of squads from across the Commonwealth who are State At-Large Champions... to this I say.... "Honey.... you're phoo-fooing in your mess gear on this one... you've a wonderful opportunity to include one of the hardest working groups of athletes in this State.... no wait... you're the leader of the group who refuses to acknowledge cheer as the SPORT it truly is" I swear... this makes me so mad that a group of puffed up referees get to call the shots on something that concerns them not one iota. Guess it would skew their Title IX areas... and far be it from them to "skew" their advantage. (I'm rolling my eyes) soo... let's recap. A group of old refs call most of the shots to keep a group of deserving high school athletes from being recognized as a sport, but they still get to tell them what, when, where, and how to do what they do.... I say... it's way past time to circle the wagons ladies and let Brigid and her paunch patrol judge the cheer leader @ the Sweet 16's and incorporate ourselves fairly. Cheer for eveyone who requests cheer leaders, govern ourselves, and lead the way among this Nations best producers of cheer athletes. (How's that for a good old fashioned "soap box" sermonette... ?? I guess all I need is an "Amen"!)

Amen!
IISnakE Wrote:Actually I just reread this previous post and realized I goofed it up... back in the day... before divisions, everyone just came and did a gymnastics cheer, a non-gymnastics cheer, and a dance routine (this is sorta kinda like today's Traditional Division) Many is the day that this poster has left a gym mad enough to pinch someone's head off... but then everyone has had those days. In order to incorporate more folks to "share the wealth"... additional divisions were added. This was helpful in bringing back more squads to the regional competitions. I personally believe the awarding of District Ribbons is pointless, but if they wanna do it... cool by me!
Now... here's what I REALLY think. Game Situation is no longer counting towards anything... but it ACTUALLY used to determine who competed @ the Regionall Competitions. In a way... THIS WAS ACTUALLY MORE REPRESENTATIVE OF WHO ACTUALLY HAS THE BEST SQUAD... IF ONE IS WILLING TO CALL THEMSELVES A CHEER LEADER. This way allowed the best group of cheer leaders to be rewarded for boosting the spirit of their school in a District Tournament game. The Winner and runner-up I believe then advanced to Regional Competition and the best squad there advanced to State At-Large. Now.... Brigid DeVries has opted to continue to use KAPOS judges and rules to govern their State Tournament in-game competitions... but has opted to refrain from recognizing the efforts of squads from across the Commonwealth who are State At-Large Champions... to this I say.... "Honey.... you're phoo-fooing in your mess gear on this one... you've a wonderful opportunity to include one of the hardest working groups of athletes in this State.... no wait... you're the leader of the group who refuses to acknowledge cheer as the SPORT it truly is" I swear... this makes me so mad that a group of puffed up referees get to call the shots on something that concerns them not one iota. Guess it would skew their Title IX areas... and far be it from them to "skew" their advantage. (I'm rolling my eyes) soo... let's recap. A group of old refs call most of the shots to keep a group of deserving high school athletes from being recognized as a sport, but they still get to tell them what, when, where, and how to do what they do.... I say... it's way past time to circle the wagons ladies and let Brigid and her paunch patrol judge the cheer leader @ the Sweet 16's and incorporate ourselves fairly. Cheer for eveyone who requests cheer leaders, govern ourselves, and lead the way among this Nations best producers of cheer athletes. (How's that for a good old fashioned "soap box" sermonette... ?? I guess all I need is an "Amen"!)

Did not miss any punches (I mean rattles) there SNAKE. This can also be said about a lot of the local school cheeses and their attitudes towards the girls.
This is what I'm hearing.

Pikeville - Small and Medium 2 1/2 minute
Belfry - Large 2 1/2

This leaves a great traditional fight between Prestonsburg, Pike Central, Sheldon Clark, Johnson Central. Should be a great battle and a clean routine will be imperative in order to win. Good luck to all the squads!
BTW,

Prestonsburg is coming to KAPOS. They are prepared to do either a traditional or 2 1/2 minute. The coach will decide right before they go.
hillbilly Wrote:Why would they change from medium to traditional? Could they be avoiding somebody?

Uh,,,,YEAH! JC runs from PHS.

Aside from that though, JC looked good tonight, but need to work on timing. Stunts and jumps came down like a ripple, but cheer was catchy. Still not as good as PHS though.

I think you should come to the meeting, and bring your declaration in a sealed envelope then place it in a in a sealed box. The envelopes won't be opened until all coaches leave and at that point, no one can change. You compete to compete. Not to have the easy win.
well, all i have to say is the blackcats are going to bring it... they always come to strut threir stuff... and they should deffenitly bulldoze through the competition, i wouldn't be surprised if they took state!!! BELIEVE THAT, RESPEK!!!!
The Guru Wrote:I predict that Paintsville will not be cheering in Kapos once again.

I think that's a pretty safe prediction! They chose not to compete even when they had excellent squads not too long ago, for whatever reason, so I'm pretty confident that they will do the same this year. It's a shame because they often have a lot of very talented girls who don't get the chance to compete!
In response to JC, they have had a tough year with sickness and injuries. Thier main tumbler has been out most of the year with a broken leg and is the on the floor, but not cleared to tumble on the floor, or do fulls on the mats.

I think the plan is to get to state KAPOS the easist way and save all the good routines for Nationals later when everyone is healthy and it means more. We may not like it, but to good tumblers and squads, KAPOS is just an after thought compared to Nationals.
CheerVeteran Wrote:I think that's a pretty safe prediction! They chose not to compete even when they had excellent squads not too long ago, for whatever reason, so I'm pretty confident that they will do the same this year. It's a shame because they often have a lot of very talented girls who don't get the chance to compete!

More than half of them don't want to compete
Prestonsburg will definately dominate this year, regardless of which category they decide to compete in...I've been told the routines they have prepared are very difficult, and done very well, so i can't wait to see! Good luck to all squads!=)
JC Cheer Fan Wrote:In response to JC, they have had a tough year with sickness and injuries. Thier main tumbler has been out most of the year with a broken leg and is the on the floor, but not cleared to tumble on the floor, or do fulls on the mats.

I think the plan is to get to state KAPOS the easist way and save all the good routines for Nationals later when everyone is healthy and it means more. We may not like it, but to good tumblers and squads, KAPOS is just an after thought compared to Nationals.

I'm sure that things may be tough in Johnson County, but all squads deal with sickness and injury. One tumbler isn't going to win a title.
I feel like that most teams this year are taking the easy way out at KAPOS; entering just where they think they can win. Winning isn't as sweet if you entered that group just because you thought there was no competition.
Also, if you can't compeat aginst the squads in the 15th region, how can you expect to make a name in a national competition. Not that 15th region sqauds are not talented enough to win at state and nationals competitions, because they have. Just IMO....
JC Cheer Fan Wrote:In response to JC, they have had a tough year with sickness and injuries. Thier main tumbler has been out most of the year with a broken leg and is the on the floor, but not cleared to tumble on the floor, or do fulls on the mats.

What Nationals are they competing in? They are not in the UCA nationals in Orlando in February.
Again, in defense of JC, the timing of KAPOS this year has made alot of these squads change. If it were later, JC I am sure would go a different route. You can not have girls missing from your squad and put a good routine togather in such a short time. Why did they change the date, maybe they will learn next year? JC's squad has just been back togather last week, so you can see why the change was made.

And yes they are going to Nationals and always do. And yes I feel it is more important to put a good routine togather there than at KAPOS and I think that is the plan. Had KAPOS not changed the date, I am sure alot of squads would do different. It may be sad, but just like AAU baketball with the boys, all star teams and Nationals are taking over in KY and KAPOS is just not the primary focus anymore.

I will see that MS. Sturgill gets these comments and post them for the girls. Comments like these can help the girls get motivated and ready for competion, thanks.
I hope everyone does their very best on Sunday, @ Nationals, and anywhere else they choose to compete. It is a shrewd coach who knows and understands their squads capabilities. It is the coaches job to place their squad in the best position for success.
Do I like the fact that KAPOS has changed their dates... "NO, I do not." Is there anything anyone can do about it? "No, there is not." Do I blame anyone for choosing to cheer where they are cheering? "No, I do not." Do I blame KAPOS for creating hard feelings among cheer teams over allowing people to switch divisions after everyone has declared? "YES, I do... and pulling stunts like this is what has always given KAPOS a hard time with everyone."
If KAPOS wants everyone to love them (and most everyone I know in KAPOS are very nice people) then they need to stop trying to please all the cry bags, stop allowing the KHSAA to yank their chains & the chains of their member squads, and they need to make their rules and stick to their guns.... no exceptions.
If JC was allowed to switch after the deadline, then it was within the rules of KAPOS to do so. The fault lies not with JC or even the 15th Region KAPOS people. The problem lies within the "book" and I'd say this Summer @ their meeting, this will be cleared up because someone will be certain to write in and request a change. Hopefully this will happen. I know everyone involved and they're very nice folks doing the best for their squad and following the rules to the letter.

Again... I hope everyone is cheering @ 100% & Good Luck on Sunday!
Well, I wouldn't blame the changing of the KAPOS date on the reason why certain squads are competiting in certain categories. Was it not known earlier in the year that KAPOS would be in January..not February? In my opinion, squads have had PLENTY of time to get a routine together(and most of them have) and decide where they want to compete..with the exception of the injuries that may come along.
JC Cheer Fan Wrote:Again, in defense of JC, the timing of KAPOS this year has made alot of these squads change. If it were later, JC I am sure would go a different route. You can not have girls missing from your squad and put a good routine togather in such a short time. Why did they change the date, maybe they will learn next year? JC's squad has just been back togather last week, so you can see why the change was made.

And yes they are going to Nationals and always do. And yes I feel it is more important to put a good routine togather there than at KAPOS and I think that is the plan. Had KAPOS not changed the date, I am sure alot of squads would do different. It may be sad, but just like AAU baketball with the boys, all star teams and Nationals are taking over in KY and KAPOS is just not the primary focus anymore.

I will see that MS. Sturgill gets these comments and post them for the girls. Comments like these can help the girls get motivated and ready for competion, thanks.

OH, I'm sure you will. I know A guy you guys did that to last year and even discussed him at Board Meetings and called his place at work. Heaven forbid anyone say anything that JC doesn't agree with. That's real mature.
One more comment and I am out of here. JC was attacked in this first. We have done nothing wrong and MS. Sturgill is the coach and doing what is best for her squad given the circumstances. What is wrong with that?

We at JC are used to alot of trash talking and in particlaur from certain groups and you know who you are. We thrive on this and it only makes our girls work harder. Keep the complaints coming!
.B.A.L.L.I.N. Wrote:More than half of them don't want to compete
Then why raise all the money that they do and take all the gymnastic classes year round???
Why practice anything but sideline cheers and leg painting?
Any Idea how much cheering at Paintsville costs SOME of the parents???
I have paid plenty, and my daughter loves cheer, but this isn't what we thought it would be like when we found out we were having a daughter. Back then, cheer at PHS was taken seriously! We wanted and our daughter wanted to be a part of that!!! They were pretty darn good when they were young!!! It was hard and the girls worked their tails off. They won everywhere too!!! Then.....it went downhill!!! Coaches could care less, and a few girls started calling all the shots!
If you didn't support their choices, then you were outcasts! Been there as well!!! 15 girls on this squad and I would bet that if allowed to vote on getting serious about it, and a certain few not there, that they would want to be taken seriously!!! But let them voice that....and their heads would roll!!! So they just keep quiet or pretend that they want what the certain few want!
5_blush_5 Wrote:Well, I wouldn't blame the changing of the KAPOS date on the reason why certain squads are competiting in certain categories. Was it not known earlier in the year that KAPOS would be in January..not February? In my opinion, squads have had PLENTY of time to get a routine together(and most of them have) and decide where they want to compete..with the exception of the injuries that may come along.

I agree, everyone was told about the date of KAPOS at the same time. No sqauds were told earlier, and none were left out. How do most sqauds have their routines, and others keep making excuses about how they don't. Maybe if teams focused on ONE routine, not TWO, they could have declared the same time as everyone else.
I'm glad this all will be settled on Sunday, and then during KAPOS's summer meeting.
Another thing.....shouldn't cheer leading be just like everything else??? Have a coach that wants to be competitive and if you have some that dont want to, then don't have them!!!
There are people within the school that would love to take the reigns at PHS, and get serious!!!
Right now....the girls know they couldn't win anything, so why not say..."we don't want to cheer comps." rather than saying..."we know we would get laughed at because we have slacked for so many years". That is very sad, because....in elementary, the people that actually know cheer, thought that this bunch could win everything in high school.
It's really unfortunate isn't it....to let talent go to waste like that if it's there to be taken advantage of! There are alot of girls/teams that have all of the heart and the desire in the world, but they can only get so far on what talent they have. I feel like if the talent is there, that's the hard part. The want-to and the desire to be a great, competitive team should come easy!

The Guru Wrote:Then why raise all the money that they do and take all the gymnastic classes year round???
I have paid plenty, and my daughter loves cheer, but this isn't what we thought it would be like when we found out we were having a daughter. Back then, cheer at PHS was taken seriously! We wanted and our daughter wanted to be a part of that!!! They were pretty darn good when they were young!!! It was hard and the girls worked their tails off. They won everywhere too!!! Then.....it went downhill!!! Coaches could care less, and a few girls started calling all the shots!
If you didn't support their choices, then you were outcasts! Been there as well!!! 15 girls on this squad and I would bet that if allowed to vote on getting serious about it, and a certain few not there, that they would want to be taken seriously!!! But let them voice that....and their heads would roll!!! So they just keep quiet or pretend that they want what the certain few want!
JC Cheer Fan Wrote:One more comment and I am out of here. JC was attacked in this first. We have done nothing wrong and MS. Sturgill is the coach and doing what is best for her squad given the circumstances. What is wrong with that?

I agree with that! I don't blame JC for competing where they feel most comfortable. It is KAPOS that should get their act together, not JC or any other school.
The Guru Wrote:Another thing.....shouldn't cheer leading be just like everything else??? Have a coach that wants to be competitive and if you have some that dont want to, then don't have them!!!
There are people within the school that would love to take the reigns at PHS, and get serious!!!
Right now....the girls know they couldn't win anything, so why not say..."we don't want to cheer comps." rather than saying..."we know we would get laughed at because we have slacked for so many years". That is very sad, because....in elementary, the people that actually know cheer, thought that this bunch could win everything in high school.

:thumpsup: But apparently no one cares?? Very strange!
The Guru Wrote:Then why raise all the money that they do and take all the gymnastic classes year round???
I have paid plenty, and my daughter loves cheer, but this isn't what we thought it would be like when we found out we were having a daughter. Back then, cheer at PHS was taken seriously! We wanted and our daughter wanted to be a part of that!!! They were pretty darn good when they were young!!! It was hard and the girls worked their tails off. They won everywhere too!!! Then.....it went downhill!!! Coaches could care less, and a few girls started calling all the shots!If you didn't support their choices, then you were outcasts! Been there as well!!! 15 girls on this squad and I would bet that if allowed to vote on getting serious about it, and a certain few not there, that they would want to be taken seriously!!! But let them voice that....and their heads would roll!!! So they just keep quiet or pretend that they want what the certain few want!

Back then cheer at Paintsville was taken seriously I agree. But lets think about the requirements of 'back in the day.' If i am correct standing and/or round off tucks were required. Now honestly, only a select few on the squad now could actually meet those requirements. Lets think about it, could your daughter that you speak so highly off actually make the squad back in the glory days? I was watching one of their games tonight actually and one of the girls on the squad actually fell doing a handspring?! It looks to me that the coach must work with what she has.
You are absolutely correct. Back in the day... those were the requirements and our squads were very good... The Coach, Susie Preston, did a very nice job & the program was very successful... but the girls wanted to win and so did the coach. Your squads are only as good as you expect and demand for them to be... if you only demand cartwheels and roundoffs... some are always gonna work harder and some are just gonna do enough and some are never gonna get it. No, our daughter couldn't put a ROT on the floor right now... she does them in gymnastics and probably with a finger spot... but we all know you don't have it unless you put it on the hardwood. If she or any of the rest aren't made to do this, then it's probably not gonna happen. Does this make me happy... what do you think? I have not been happy for (5) years.... neither have several of the girls or their parents, but until the school's authorities care about the cheer leaders, nothing will ever change and you won't be able to draft enough tumblers from the area to save face... look at your girls coming thru from the lower grades... what have you got going there as far as tumbling is concerned? I wasn't there last night, too ill and didn't want to spread germs, but I'd hazard a guess it was mine who fell... but at least she puts it out there and has, ever since 8TH GRADE BASKETBALL SEASON instead of flashing the "old spirit fingers" and throwing that "old roundoff". We speak so highly of our daughter just as any other parent would because we're proud. She's worked hard and taken a lot of crap from her coach and her peers.... (I'm sure she's been no picnic at times.... we all can get a snoot full) She's met all requirements that were set before her and SHE NEVER & WE NEVER EVER ASKED FOR A FAVOR FOR HER TO MAKE THAT SQUAD.... and you know there's been plenty of that to go around. She has a BHS and a ROBHS on the floor... her jumps may not be stellar but she's improved. She has great motions, a great smile, is a good base given she's stunted with several different flyers since placed in the bases position (and not in a 3-4 year set group) and a sincere demeanor on the floor... she's ours and given all she's been put thru because she's ours & come thru just fine.... We'll Stand Proud & Support HER not just because she's ours, but because SHE'S EARNED OUR RESPECT.... actually.
Okay... could this thread get back on topic.
ValleyDweller25 Wrote:Back then cheer at Paintsville was taken seriously I agree. But lets think about the requirements of 'back in the day.' If i am correct standing and/or round off tucks were required. Now honestly, only a select few on the squad now could actually meet those requirements. Lets think about it, could your daughter that you speak so highly off actually make the squad back in the glory days? I was watching one of their games tonight actually and one of the girls on the squad actually fell doing a handspring?! It looks to me that the coach must work with what she has.
Well...considering that, you were here and not at the SV/Pikeville game, I would say you are not really a "Dweller"!
Yes, my daughter landed very short on a handspring!!! She didn't fall though.
Actually, actually, actually....
How highly have I spoken of my daughter, other than to say she loves cheer???
She is a pretty good girl, that always comes home when I tell her. No saint I am sure, but not much trouble either.
She could probably make just about any squad there has been at Paintsville.
If put at a school, lets say like Pikeville, she would have loved it and done just fine! We talked about it, but then decided, that even if we had to put up with all the lameness, we would stay at Paintsville, because, it is our school!!!
As much or more than any!!!
Get this thread back on topic EVERYONE! "KAPOS divisions" WE ARE WAY OFF TOPIC. Also do not attack any other BGR member or Cheerleading squad members. This is close to being closed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4