Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Estill County 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the season just ended but I couldn't wait. Engineers lose 4 players from this year's team. Return pitcher Zach Withers among several other key players from this team. Should be much improved next season.

Any word on the schedule for Engineers? I'm hoping Hazard is on it. Hopefully one or two of the Lexington schools as well...
That loss to Knott 5-4 in 8 innings doesn't look as bad now that Knott won the region.
I have heard the coach at Estill is a really good guy and has done a lot for baseball over the years. I am glad the coaching situation is good and stable now. Sounds like they made a good choice?
The coaching staff had some growing pains this year but should get better as they get more experience. 3 coaches in 3 years makes it hard on the kids.
EngineerFan57 Wrote:The coaching staff had some growing pains this year but should get better as they get more experience. 3 coaches in 3 years makes it hard on the kids.

It is hard to build stability and consistency that way. It was a good idea hiring a local and it sounds like he is good enough to work out anything that happens. At least they know he's not leaving. Estill is setup to be a stepping stone school, but they've had some coaches have longevity there in the past. Obviously, Danny Wood(I think that was his name)was a good example of the correct way to do things and win.
Since entering the 14th Region Estill has been a consistent contender.
baseball1974 Wrote:It is hard to build stability and consistency that way. It was a good idea hiring a local and it sounds like he is good enough to work out anything that happens. At least they know he's not leaving. Estill is setup to be a stepping stone school, but they've had some coaches have longevity there in the past. Obviously, Danny Wood(I think that was his name)was a good example of the correct way to do things and win.

Maybe the next softball coach at Estill if Coach Beard steps down..
"Good and stable" you must have not watched this team as much as i did this year!!
Strikeout King Wrote:Maybe the next softball coach at Estill if Coach Beard steps down..

Really? That's an odd decision. You'd think if he was going to come back he'd done it last year when the baseball job was open. What has he been doing since the last time he was at estill? I think his last season was 09' when south Laurel beat them in the sectional tournament. I could be wrong but I think that was it?
Coach Wood is a class act. He gave up the program to coach his daughter in softball since 2010. Great coach, better dad and person!
KyCatlover Wrote:"Good and stable" you must have not watched this team as much as i did this year!!

Here we go. Just go cry me a river. You must have not got the job or a parent to a player that don't get to play or the person you wanted to get the job didn't....I'm thrilled that Coach Crowe is the coach. If you don't like it, it's simple, don't go to the games...
baseball1974 Wrote:Really? That's an odd decision. You'd think if he was going to come back he'd done it last year when the baseball job was open. What has he been doing since the last time he was at estill? I think his last season was 09' when south Laurel beat them in the sectional tournament. I could be wrong but I think that was it?

He's been coaching his daughter. Their was talk that he would be the new softball coach when Coach Beard stepped down but no one knows when that will happen.
District games are set but those are the only ones...
Withers is a work horse on the mound. Potentionally your best pitcher in the 14th region for the 2016 baseball season
Coach Crowe has loaded up his schedule for 2016. He's added Franklin County, Hazard, Knott, Morgan County, Madison Southern. Estill is trying to host their tournament agin this season and teams could be; Estill, Lewis, Campbell Co and Harlan Co. Estill is also participating in the Bill Orme Classic @ Powell County; teams include; Estill, Powell, Perry Central, Mad. South. P-Burg, Harrison Co. Allen Central, East Carter.
Strikeout King Wrote:Coach Crowe has loaded up his schedule for 2016. He's added Franklin County, Hazard, Knott, Morgan County, Madison Southern. Estill is trying to host their tournament agin this season and teams could be; Estill, Lewis, Campbell Co and Harlan Co. Estill is also participating in the Bill Orme Classic @ Powell County; teams include; Estill, Powell, Perry Central, Mad. South. P-Burg, Harrison Co. Allen Central, East Carter.

Don't take this as me being an ass, because it is a genuine question. I haven't seen some of these teams and I was wondering if Franklin, Morgan, Madison Southern, Lewis, and even Campbell would be considered "loading up?" I know the majority of those teams have below .500 records. I thought maybe you knew something about how good those teams will be this year?

I have seen Franklin and they are a descent/average team, but even they finished last season 10 games under .500. I know Gene Combs being at Madison Southern makes them better, but I'm not sure he could've done it that quickly? I think they've been averaging single-digit win totals for awhile now. He's probably got another two years before that program starts reaping the benefits of having him. Campbell had a good season last year, but they also lost 11 or 12 seniors. They are usually a descent team when they are loaded with upper-classmen, but I haven't seen them play in a couple years.

I was simply wondering because I didn't know if the teams I mentioned are suppose to be good or not this upcoming season?
baseball1974 Wrote:Don't take this as me being an ass, because it is a genuine question. I haven't seen some of these teams and I was wondering if Franklin, Morgan, Madison Southern, Lewis, and even Campbell would be considered "loading up?" I know the majority of those teams have below .500 records. I thought maybe you knew something about how good those teams will be this year?

I have seen Franklin and they are a descent/average team, but even they finished last season 10 games under .500. I know Gene Combs being at Madison Southern makes them better, but I'm not sure he could've done it that quickly? I think they've been averaging single-digit win totals for awhile now. He's probably got another two years before that program starts reaping the benefits of having him. Campbell had a good season last year, but they also lost 11 or 12 seniors. They are usually a descent team when they are loaded with upper-classmen, but I haven't seen them play in a couple years.

I was simply wondering because I didn't know if the teams I mentioned are suppose to be good or not this upcoming season?

I should have re-worded myself and used adding new teams instead of loading up
These "new" teams, though they may have been down, are probably much better competition than some that were on the schedule last year: Buckhorn, Jackson City (twice), Breathitt Co., Jackson Co., and Berea (twice). I'd say that's improving the schedule.
mandan Wrote:These "new" teams, though they may have been down, are probably much better competition than some that were on the schedule last year: Buckhorn, Jackson City (twice), Breathitt Co., Jackson Co., and Berea (twice). I'd say that's improving the schedule.

In that case it absolutely would be "loading-up."
The schedule that's on KHSAA is pretty much complete other than the Powell County tournament which hasn't been posted yet. Estill did add Berea, Morgan County and Breathitt County here in the past couple of weeks tho