Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2015-2016 13th Region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who will be top teams, players and coaches?

Top teams:
Harlan, North Laurel, Harlan Co, Bell Co, Corbin

Top players:
Blair Green - Harlan Co, Jordan Brock - Harlan, Kayla Bruner - North Laurel, Brooklyn Massingill - Harlan, Kelli Roberts - Clay Co

Top coaches:
Burchell - Clay Co, Teague - Bell Co, McDaniels - Corbin, Akal - Harlan, Mahan - North Laurel
I think that looks very close to what I would have. I might would have flipped a couple of things, but that might be bias on my part. I think it's going to be a very fun year in the 13th Region.

I've heard that green has some major d1 offers but was wondering who they were if anyone knows? I have heard Bruner has two smaller d1 offers a d2 offer and some NAIA, was wondering about any other players in the region too?
When I saw the first article I realized I had seen it before. I love seeing a 13th region kid getting the notaritity they deserve. Good luck to her!
This past season we assumed Bell Co. would win the region and they did. They actually swept the region. I can see this year being more open with a few teams having a chance to win it. I think the early favorites have to be Harlan and North Laurel. Bell Co. loses Morris and Sanders, but will be more competitive than what most think. I'm not completely sold on Harlan County. Yes, they have some nice pieces, but they struggled at the end of last season.
I agree Sixthman. Harlan County hasn't ever gotten over the hump and I don't see it happening any time soon. Harlan and North are the front runners but Bell will be good, too.
I agree about Harlan Co. It looked like they may have chemistry problem. Untill North improves there schedule, I don't think they can be competitive come region tournament time. On coaches the only one even close to Burchell is Akal.
Whitley will get two starters who didn't even play because of injury last year back.
They're still going to be young, but they should be right there with Corbin for the 50th.
Corbin and Whitley neither one should be overlooked. I have said many times how good I think the Estes girl is and with her back it will make everyone on Whitley better. About north they seem to always play well during the tournament in camparison to the talent they had. When I looked at the norths schedule the only way they can improve the schedule that I can see is a better Christmas tournament and don't play Berea. The weak teams they play are either district who they have to play or region or rival teams who just happened to be down. Rockcastle, south, perry central, barbourville. Are teams who have been good but are down. As far as coaches I think mcdaniels has done GREAT, people talk about him having talent but if that's the case you have to say the same about burchell. Both are good and like most good coaches you have good talent. When they hired jmac I was VERY skeptical and even voiced it on here. I can admit when I am wrong and he has for sure proven himself. I think Mahan has done well with a bad program and rebuilt it. I think Estes will do a great job for Whitley. He was always a great defensive coach when he coached middle school. I think his defensive philosophy will make them very competitive. All in all the region will be very competitive and I wouldn't be surprised with any of about 5 or 6 teams winning region this year.
Estes has done a great job building programs for other schools.. By running them off from Whitley. 2 kids at Corbin that would easily start and be the top 2 at Whitley are at Corbin now. I don't see Whitley being close
As of a couple weeks ago, Whitley had just lost 2 players - one to Georgia and another to an ACL injury, but I don't think either started last year.
Corbin already has an established lineup with 4 seniors and a junior. Who left Whitley?
It was a couple years back I believe. The price girl who when I watched Corbin in the summer was usually the first or second off the bench and then Schafer who played as a freshman
Watched Jordan brock (harlan) taylor cromer (south) and melanie wilson (corbin) at rick bolus camp sat in louisville. Brock is fun fun to watch cromer and wilson had a very good camp.
We played Harlan this summer and I was impressed with them. They go hard, work together well and have some good talent.
I think the region is theirs to lose.
Olred Wrote:I think that looks very close to what I would have. I might would have flipped a couple of things, but that might be bias on my part. I think it's going to be a very fun year in the 13th Region.

I've heard that green has some major d1 offers but was wondering who they were if anyone knows? I have heard Bruner has two smaller d1 offers a d2 offer and some NAIA, was wondering about any other players in the region too?
For Blair (Harlan Co.) Kentucky, UConn, Tennessee, Louisville, And I think Duke, Vandy and a few more we're on the list also.
Harlan will be front runner during summer ball they played strong . I think North Laurel and Harlan we be the two to watch this season .
Tundradriver Wrote:It was a couple years back I believe. The price girl who when I watched Corbin in the summer was usually the first or second off the bench and then Schafer who played as a freshman

The Price girl only played in 11 games last year (according to the KHSAA) so I don't think she was starting, the Shaffer girl was not even on the roster. You may need to check your information. Usually the player 1st or 2nd off the bench plays more than 11 games. And playing as a freshman is not really that impressive.

Coach Estes and the Whitley County Lady Colonels will survive without them just fine. You can't worry about who is not there but coach up the ones who are there. There is a certain standard that is expected and for whatever reason they made a choice to go someplace else where the standards are different. Certainly wish everyone would stay at their respective schools but kids come and go all the time, and generally speaking it is the parents who are the ones who decide to leave and not the players.

Good Luck to the Lady Colonels and Coach Estes in his debut season at the helm of the program!!! I look for a great season!!
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:The Price girl only played in 11 games last year (according to the KHSAA) so I don't think she was starting, the Shaffer girl was not even on the roster. You may need to check your information. Usually the player 1st or 2nd off the bench plays more than 11 games. And playing as a freshman is not really that impressive.

Coach Estes and the Whitley County Lady Colonels will survive without them just fine. You can't worry about who is not there but coach up the ones who are there. There is a certain standard that is expected and for whatever reason they made a choice to go someplace else where the standards are different. Certainly wish everyone would stay at their respective schools but kids come and go all the time, and generally speaking it is the parents who are the ones who decide to leave and not the players.

Good Luck to the Lady Colonels and Coach Estes in his debut season at the helm of the program!!! I look for a great season!!

Well said.
Estes will be a refreshing face on the sideline.
Tundradriver Wrote:It was a couple years back I believe. The price girl who when I watched Corbin in the summer was usually the first or second off the bench and then Schafer who played as a freshman

Is this Sam Schafer's daughter? I thought that she had transferred to South Laurel a couple of years ago.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:The Price girl only played in 11 games last year (according to the KHSAA) so I don't think she was starting, the Shaffer girl was not even on the roster. You may need to check your information. Usually the player 1st or 2nd off the bench plays more than 11 games. And playing as a freshman is not really that impressive.

You may want to re-read my post. I said in the summer. Not last year. And if they both were at Whitley they would be hands down two best players there.
I posted this on the Scott county hoopfest page but thought it would be more relevant here... This is second hand info so if any of it is wrong please forgive me.

Whitley won both halves in close ones against st henry and struggled defensively. She said they were down from last year but thought the Estes girl shot it very well but was VERY timid on her leg still. If she gets her confidence back her and feltner will be a very good duo but some others will need to develop.

South Laurel lost both halves against a decent Scott team and was down double digits most of the time but played everyone! I was told that she thought if coach Thomas shortens it some and they can get the unforced turnovers under control that they will be dangerous in our district this year.

North Laurel lost the first half by 6 and won the second by 2 against a good Covington holy cross team. North struggled to score against the athletic guards of holy cross. She thought North didn't play great on either side of the ball actually but also would have done better if they hadn't played 10-11 deep.
They should probably be happy though to have played such a good team.

I was told some other schools in the 13th scrimmaged elsewhere does anyone know the outcomes of those?
Who ever u talked to was accurate. Estes shot the ball very well. Looked timid and slow still but that's to b expected. Watched her for years. She is a gamer. My son broke his leg last year it just takes time. Mentally takes just as long as physical. She will be ok. South has a lot of work to do. They have worked hard Coach has to get it down to 8-10 kids and roll with it. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Clay played well against Bullitt East and their UK commit. Didn't get a lot of details. I said earlier, they'll be better than most think.
walterwhite Wrote:Clay played well against Bullitt East and their UK commit. Didn't get a lot of details. I said earlier, they'll be better than most think.

UK commit L. Duvall wouldn't have played for Bullitt East in this scrimmage. She had knee surgery last week.
Any more scrimmage results?
NL beat Knott Central by 2
Thank you dorsey10. Anyone on scrimmage results for Harlan or Harlan county or even clay... It just seems so quiet this year.
South goes to Danville wed I believe.
From the Harlan Daily Enterprise:

SEKC Panorama schedule announced

Local high school basketball teams will tip off their seasons next week with the Southeastern Kentucky Conference Panorama. The schedule includes:

Nov. 23

Harlan County at Williamsburg G/B

Nov. 24

Harlan at Pineville B/G

Knox Central at Middlesboro G/B

Corbin at Bell County G/B

Nov. 25

Lynn Camp at Clay County G/B
South laurel played at grc today. Played running clock beat Danville 23-13 first 20 min running clock. Lost to grc 19-15 2nd game but was up 8-7 when he subbed out. Those two are pretty even teams. Danville is down this year South looked a lot better than did at Scott co. Coach had a diff starting 5 and played 9-10 kids instead of 20 today. Lol
Pages: 1 2