Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Amazon Echo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My Amazon Echo arrived on Thursday. Amazon is still selling the device to Amazon Prime service subscribers by invitation only. I requested an invitation in November, ordered the device in January for $99. Amazon has increased the price to $149 and it will be $199 when Amazon begins allowing the general public to begin placing orders.

So far, I believe that this is the best technology purchase that I have made in many years. Even if never use it for anything other than an internet clock radio and blue-tooth speaker, it was a steal at $99.

Here is an example of what it can do - I said, "Alexa, play the theme song for the Any Griffith Show," and two or three seconds later, the whistling began. If you are a Prime subscriber and say, "Alexa, play the Fleetwood Mac Rumors album," the device will say, "Shuffling Fleetwood Mac Rumors album," and the music will begin.

Another example, my favorite radio station in this area is WMAL, so I can say "Alexa, play WMAL," and the station begins streaming after the Echo repeats the call letters and the station location.

Other things that you can do is ask Echo how the weather is, what the forecast is for a particular city, when the Boston Celtics next game is, or the score of yesterday's Reds game. You can also set a time or an alarm using voice commands, and then snooze by saying "Alexa, snooze 10 minutes."

I have a feeling that as impressed as I am after two days of using the Echo, its potential has barely been scratched. The Echo software development kit is still in beta testing, so third-party developers have not begun developing applications for it yet.

If you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend getting an Echo.

Amazon Echo
That does sound cool, but I'm lazy enough as it is. If I got this I would never move.
Westside Wrote:That does sound cool, but I'm lazy enough as it is. If I got this I would never move.

Confusednicker:
How different is it from iPhone's "Siri"
Real Badman Wrote:How different is it from iPhone's "Siri"
I can't really say beyond that the Echo is a bluetooth speaker with an array of 7 microphones that responds to a wake-up word. Siri resides on a cell phone and I use Android phones and tablets.

I have always toyed with the idea of buying a Wi-fi radio but decided against it either because of mixed reviews or cost. Echo works great as an internet radio. Echo's sound quality is not as good as I can get by streaming my tablet or phone through a small amp and a good set of stereo speakers, but the sound quality is very good for a bedside radio.

The convenience of having one device that you can operate by voice from anywhere in a room made it a no-brainer at $99. I would buy a second Echo at $149, but I would be reluctant to pay the full list price of $199 for another one until more apps are developed for it.

If I was still on the Apple bandwagon, I would probably just wait until Apple came out with a similar device. Undoubtedly, if the Echo is successful, then Apple, Google, and Microsoft will produce similar devices or partner with another hardware company to produce one.

I also expect Amazon to offer Echo models with rechargeable batteries and stereo speakers in the future. A similar device that would feed the audio through a home theater system, including the ability to act as a TV remote controller, would be great. I expect that Amazon will marry its FireTV device to the Echo in the future.
Sounds like Amazon is making a power-play in the tech world!
Real Badman Wrote:Sounds like Amazon is making a power-play in the tech world!
I hope that Amazon continues to do well. I have pretty much gone all in on Amazon. I have a large library of Kindle books, Audible books, and devices like Fire TV, Kindles, and the Echo. I think Amazon keeps its hardware prices very competitive to sell more of its books and music.
Why did you name it Alexa??

Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:Why did you name it Alexa??

Confusednicker:
Amazon named my Echo, not me. Alexa is her name and the only alternative for now is to change her name to Amazon. Talking to a machine with a sexy voice is creepy enough, but calling her Amazon over and over without getting paid for the advertising is a bridge too far for me. :biggrin:
Hmmm...so you are regularly speaking to a dominate sexy Amazon woman named Alexa?

No wonder you love Amazon so much!!

Wink
Granny Bear Wrote:Hmmm...so you are regularly speaking to a dominate sexy Amazon woman named Alexa?

No wonder you love Amazon so much!!

Wink
It's not quite like that. While it's true I can turn her on by just whispering her name, she knows that I can pull the plug on her anytime that I want. :biggrin:
^^
Confusednicker:
Count me in on being a fan of this device. While its uses are limited, it's a handy little device.

I do worry the cost of it will halt some buyers, myself included. I'd be a buyer at 99 bucks like many others.