Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell County Coaching Position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
According to the KHSAA website, Powell County is now looking for a new head football coach.

Is Coach Burchett heading somewhere else or retiring?
Any chance former Bath County head coach, Reed Fields gets it?
Retiring.
It looks like the Powell position has been posted. Not sure what they are looking for in a coach but they have a golden opportunity to hire a guy right there in their own system who could be a game changer. Their assistant coach Brandon Brewer would be the first person I look at. The guy was a star at Powell then went on to play at Union College where he was Mid-South Conference 2nd Team All Defense. He knows the game very well and is known for being a work horse. His family is in Powell County so he would be very invested in the program for years to come. If they don't look at him for this then that doesn't look good on the program there.
Brewer is a good guy. I hope he gets the opportunity!!!!
No surprise here. It's been rumored the last 2-3 seasons that Burchett might retire. Brewer would be a great guy for the job. If for some odd reason he didn't want it or get it, Reed Fields would be an excellent option. I went over to Powell County's school page and it wasn't posted there yet.
UKLover Wrote:It looks like the Powell position has been posted. Not sure what they are looking for in a coach but they have a golden opportunity to hire a guy right there in their own system who could be a game changer. Their assistant coach Brandon Brewer would be the first person I look at. The guy was a star at Powell then went on to play at Union College where he was Mid-South Conference 2nd Team All Defense. He knows the game very well and is known for being a work horse. His family is in Powell County so he would be very invested in the program for years to come. If they don't look at him for this then that doesn't look good on the program there.

I think some of what you say is good BUT they need to get the best coach they can get. I see a lot of these schools like Powell Co. that come open and everybody starts talking about hometown guys. GET THE BEST COACH YOU CAN EVEN IF HE IS FROM MARS!!!!!!!!
I've heard Garry McPeek applied
Who is Garry McPeek?
Who is Gary
what is the word out of Powell Co.
Anybody know when Monroe is going to do something to get this football program going?
Would love to find out what is going on
Who are some of the possible applicants?
Hire the best coach bobby Petrino had affair took money etc at Arkansas and got hired back at louisville come on man grow up its about the best coach you can and nobody will have the resume Garry McPeek has apply at Powell county your not a power
Lol no Great coach coming to Powell county and who's to say he doesn't have morals from what I can see he was successful at east carter and Greenup county if you win there your a great coach with morals but that's IMO
No question that it should be Brandon Brewer. That hire gives you a coach with plenty of experience and someone who understands what Powell needs. It also gives you the stability that a program like Powell needs, since he is more than likely a lifer there.
So glad Powell made the right choice in Brandon Brewer.
sorry cant agree with you on that. Doing what most East Ky schools do and hire a guy that is from there just because he is from there and not getting the best candidate for the job!!!
Ok, I'll play. Who applied that was a better candidate than Brewer? Make sure that you come with a candidate that actually applied and have some stats and facts to back it up.
If they wanted stability, someone who was committed to Powell County, etc., plus someone who knows some ball..I'd say they made a good hire.

I can tell you how many people across the state look at Stanton as their choice to make a home if they don't have any ties to there, and that's none. No offense. Same goes for most all rural areas if no ties to the community.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:If they wanted stability, someone who was committed to Powell County, etc., plus someone who knows some ball..I'd say they made a good hire.

I can tell you how many people across the state look at Stanton as their choice to make a home if they don't have any ties to there, and that's none. No offense. Same goes for most all rural areas if no ties to the community.

I agree on the need for stability and there are situations that a "local" is needed to re-establish the program. If the local is the best candidate then that's even better.

But there are alot of teams that have hired local just because and not taken the best football coach. Many administrations have also encouraged the hiring of people already in the system as it makes their job easier.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:sorry cant agree with you on that. Doing what most East Ky schools do and hire a guy that is from there just because he is from there and not getting the best candidate for the job!!!

That is so right, Eastern Kentucky schools have no clue how to hire good coaches. They hire because they want to be average and stay status quo. If your coaching and don't want to work hard at it and still compete go to the area of Eastern Kentucky.
Russellpride I agree with some of what you say but there are good coaches in east ky. But this hire ole bobby ray cause he is from there thing is horse dung. And it makes no difference if you are from somewhere or not if you don't win the natives will burn their own at the stake!!!!!!! And if anybody thinks that a guy wouldn't take a better job if it came along is crazy, from somewhere or not. You tell me this, lets say Billy Bob is from Blank County, he is the head coach there and played there. Y County offers Billy Bob there head job and gives him 10,000 more bucks and a lesser class load. What you think he will do?
He would roll out and if you think he wouldn't you are crazy or he is dumb. One minute they love you and the next they want your head!!!!!! Schools have no loyalty these days so why should coaches?
And this whole need stability thing is horse dung to. Sounds like to me some schools aren't doing what they need to do to keep a coach.
Get divorced a couple of times you might be able to it was her fault, get divorced 4 or 5 you might need to look in mirror!! Just saying.
Coach Brewer will do a good job and put forth every effort to make a winner. Everyone needs to chill on the best coach stuff. this is High school football, you play with who you have. Urban Meyer would be the guy ran out on rails with the wrong kids on his team. just my opinion but all schools need to relax. hire good men with a knowledge of the game and a desire to improve as a coach and wait for that right group of kids to come along and do something special.
BlueCrew34 Wrote:Coach Brewer will do a good job and put forth every effort to make a winner. Everyone needs to chill on the best coach stuff. this is High school football, you play with who you have. Urban Meyer would be the guy ran out on rails with the wrong kids on his team. just my opinion but all schools need to relax. hire good men with a knowledge of the game and a desire to improve as a coach and wait for that right group of kids to come along and do something special.

Maybe the most logical post I've ever read on this site or any others for that matter.
Let's get something straight. I have no idea who Coach Brewer is. None.

However, if what I've read on this thread is true, it sounds like he has deserved a shot at this job.
Pages: 1 2