Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sheldon Clark New Football Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone heard who the new coach will be or might be? I hate to see Hager go, but I am still curious. I hope they don't wait till the last minute to hire someone.
Who knows
It seems a little too late in the game to be too choosy.
Most teams who is or was looking for a coach has already got one in place. SC is dragging their feet on this one. Don't look like they are in any hurry.
I feel like I've been posting all morning....I've been on a cruise and been away a while. Sheldon Clark needs to get this done or they are going to be out in the cold trying to find a coach. Spring ball is just around the corner and still no coach. They are already behind in weights. Sheldon Clark has potential but apparently the super is terrible. I coached against coach hager and he is really an easy guy to get along with. He's a wild man on the sidelines but what coach isn't that has a huge competitive drive to them. Hopefully they name them a coach and get it started back there at Sheldon Clark soon.
I have wondered what the deal was there for awhile now. Seem to have decent numbers, pretty good atheletes and decent size. Been awhile since they were really successful though. Whats the over all record over the last 5 seasons?
scotty_bronson Wrote:i have wondered what the deal was there for awhile now. Seem to have decent numbers, pretty good atheletes and decent size. Been awhile since they were really successful though. whats the over all record over the last 5 seasons?

12-43 the last 5 seasons.

1-20 the last 2 seasons.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:12-43 the last 5 seasons.

1-20 the last 2 seasons.

Wow. I didnt know it had been that rough. How long has it been since a winning season? Im not jabbing, I just didnt know things had been in that bad of shape. They are on Raceland's schedule this year is why Im curious.
Their schedule has been ridiculous.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Their schedule has been ridiculous.

Yes it has been.
2009 - 9-5-1
2010 - 6-6
2011 - 1-10
2012 - 4-7
2013 - 0-10
2014 - 1-10

As Fly like a duck said, the schedule during that period has been brutal.
It's been horrible.

Pikeville- Region Finals
Prestonsburg- Region Finals
Lawrence County- Region Finals
Belfry- State Champs
Hazard- Region Finals

Oh yeah, then there is Ashland, a Mike Holcomb lead Letcher Central, etc.

I don't know how Tug Valley did last year, but Betsy Layne is the ONLY team on their schedule that didn't win a playoff game last year.

To top it all, they didn't play a single team with a losing record. Not one (Tug Valley clarification on this one, again please).

How many teams out there played 10 of 11 opponents who had at the least won a playoff game?

How many teams out there played a schedule where none of their opponents had a losing record?

How many teams out there had 5 to at least make it to their respected region finals?

Want to win during the lean years? Play people worse than you. There is the big a$$ pink elephant in the room that absolutely nobody wants to admit.
With the severe population drain currently being felt in Martin Co....it would not surprise me in the least to see Sheldon Clark continue to try and slip down to 1A at some point in the next few years. They petitioned a move during this last revision but it was denied. Financially, it's going to be harder and harder for SC to fund an expensive sport such as football. Truly a sad situation
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:It's been horrible.

Pikeville- Region Finals
Prestonsburg- Region Finals
Lawrence County- Region Finals
Belfry- State Champs
Hazard- Region Finals

Oh yeah, then there is Ashland, a Mike Holcomb lead Letcher Central, etc.

I don't know how Tug Valley did last year, but Betsy Layne is the ONLY team on their schedule that didn't win a playoff game last year.

To top it all, they didn't play a single team with a losing record. Not one (Tug Valley clarification on this one, again please).

How many teams out there played 10 of 11 opponents who had at the least won a playoff game?

How many teams out there played a schedule where none of their opponents had a losing record?

How many teams out there had 5 to at least make it to their respected region finals?

Want to win during the lean years? Play people worse than you. There is the big a$$ pink elephant in the room that absolutely nobody wants to admit.

Tug Valley was very competitive this year. They lost out in the West Virginia 1A semi-finals
Real Badman Wrote:Tug Valley was very competitive this year. They lost out in the West Virginia 1A semi-finals

Tug was good all the way around. The SC schedule is rough. And idk if its any better in the year ahead. Im all for playing a schedule that preps you for the playoffs, but there are also times when taking a step back and playing teams you know you can compete with or be within reason. I hate seeing teams in recession for any reason. Losing for 5+ years to teams that are consistantly on top or in the top of their class, by beatdown scores doesnt help kids. I wouldnt say do it after a few down years, but when things are this bleak sometimes its time to do so. Berea has done it before, not playing within a district and scheduling teams that help build back up the programs numbers and confidence. I also think that at times like this, bringing in a young coach that has alot of passion and desire to teach and coach youger players can be a benefit . What does SC return? are they going to be young or hae experience back?
So, they played 6 teams who went at least to the region finals or beyond, 10 of 11 that won at least one playoff game and not ONE team that had a losing record.

Fellas, they didn't just play a schedule, but I'd argue to say that they had one of the toughest schedules for any team in the state Class A-3A.

Top to bottom, I can't think of anybody that had a schedule like that week in, week out.

Even Mayfield, Beechwood, DeSales, CAL, Belfry and Central's of the world had a couple weeks (or more) there where they could at least catch their breath and then some.
There has been a Coach apply, is young, has experience as a head coach. He's from around the London area. Has a record of 42wins and 5 losses at the middle school level. He knows football and how to win, proven leader on and off the field. Hasn't heard a word from the administration. Has offers at Perry Central helping Coach Larkey, but wants to be a Head Coach.
Here is a post from an older thread I posted from 2013. Like I said before I went to Alice Lloyd with Coach Hager at Sheldon Clark, Coach Marcum at Clay, Coach Feltner at Lawrence and Coach Hammonds coaching at ALC now etc. A lot of competitive coaches from that age group.

Found this on internet. Here is the history of Sheldon Clark.
Coaches
Earl Hutchinson 1981 Record 3 and 8

Chuke Williams 1982-1983 record 13 and 8

Jim Matney 1984-2003 record 124 and 94 Playoff record 8 and 11 played in 2 regional championships 1998(win) and 2000 (Lost)

Shawn Hager 2004-2013 record 59 and 58 Playoff record 9 and 9 played in 3 regional championships 2005 (Lost) 2008 (Lost) and 2009 (win)

SHELDON CLARK “Cardinals”

formed in the fall of 1972 by the consolidation of Inez and Warfield

Many thanks to Curtis Crye for this page of information

1981 3-8 Earl Hutchinson
1982 9-2 Chuke Williams
1983 4-6 Chuke Williams
1984 0-10 Jim Matney
1985 2-8 Jim Matney
1986 8-2 Jim Matney
1987 5-5 Jim Matney
1988 2-9 Jim Matney
1989 3-7 Jim Matney playoffs
1990 7-4 Jim Matney
1991 9-2 Jim Matney 0-1
1992 9-2 Jim Matney 0-1
1993 6-4 Jim Matney 0-1
1994 7-5 Jim Matney 1-1
1995 5-5 Jim Matney
1996 6-5 Jim Matney 0-1
1997 7-4 Jim Matney 0-1
1998 9-5 Jim Matney 3-1
1999 11-1 Jim Matney 1-1
2000 11-2 Jim Matney 2-1
2001 2-7 Jim Matney
2002 7-3 Jim Matney 0-1
2003 8-4 Jim Matney 1-1
2004 2-8 Shawn Hager
2005 9-4 Shawn Hager 2-1
2006 9-2 Shawn Hager 0-1
2007 9-3 Shawn Hager 1-1
2008 10-3 Shawn Hager 2-1
2009 9-5 Shawn Hager 3-1
2010 6-6 Shawn Hager 1-1
2011 1-10 Shawn Hager 0-1
2012 4-7 Shawn Hager 0-1
2013 0-10 Shawn Hager 0-1
The schedule has been the problem I believe. Moral and confidence goes a long way if you ask me. Who knows when they make a hire I hope they get someone who will do a good job. I look for someone Empolyed by boe to get this job tho because of the mess that is the BOE now. I heard josh muncy applied so he's young and knows the game. He's been an assistant for several years. He would do a great job. He's the current wrestling coach.
I've heard they have offered the job to a couple of coaches and they have turned it down. I think with the state of the administration there, it would be a very risky move to go there.
Talking with other bluegrass members from SC in private messages there has been coaches turn it down and from what they say the program is a disaster with the administration at BOE. So school admin. your right it would be a very big risk and they may not know what they r about to get themselves into. From my understanding all the football coaches from assistants, middle school coach and youth president have all resigned
3sportfan Wrote:Talking with other bluegrass members from SC in private messages there has been coaches turn it down and from what they say the program is a disaster with the administration at BOE. So school admin. your right it would be a very big risk and they may not know what they r about to get themselves into. From my understanding all the football coaches from assistants, middle school coach and youth president have all resigned

I believe they have as well.
Sounds like a bad situation someone is about to get into. I really hate that for the kids. That program was doing well a few years ago. To a lot of kids sports are the reason they come to school and try so hard. Especially in rural counties. I don't think this super is thinking straight.
Come on Sheldon Clark and Martin County Board of Education.....

GET WITH IT...... HIRE SOMEBODY!!!!!

Between the coal industry vanishing before our eyes and families moving out of the area for work, the last thing Martin County needs is for their football program to go under. And the way it is looking, football in Martin County will be an after thought as well.

And there is no reason for it. HIRE A COACH!!!! GET THE KIDS OUT AND IN TO THE WEIGHT ROOM!!!!!!
Pulp

I don't think it's because they aren't wanting a coach, I've heard that there has been offers, but nobody has taken it.

When all of the assistants have resigned. Along with the reasons above. It's just a sad situation all around.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Pulp

I don't think it's because they aren't wanting a coach, I've heard that there has been offers, but nobody has taken it.

When all of the assistants have resigned. Along with the reasons above. It's just a sad situation all around.
I agree... but right now, anything is better than nothing.
Even if a teacher or somebody gets the players in the weight room.
Agreed. To an extent....

..but, I just don't think anybody wants it. Hell, looking at this year and the past 5-6 that have been just like this off season (turnover rate), there aren't many anywhere that want the ridiculous majority of any job across the state.
The fact that Shawn Hager stayed at SC when the ship started sinking is a testimony to his character. He had the resume to move just about anywhere in the state.
Heard it was offered to Burchett late last week.
F.N.L. Wrote:Heard it was offered to Burchett late last week.

Tony Burchett?
Pages: 1 2