Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boone County HC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has there been any news on this and who has applied for it?
I think personally Boone has a lot of potential to be great. They just need a consistent coach. They run a power Run Scheme, It is not the 90's Boone that would run with Shaun Alexander. Prepping a more pistol/ wing T/ Spread look gives them a greater chance. I have met some of the kids, They are hard workers and good kids. Just need some stability. Wish them luck.:champ:
They have been spread the last two years.

If I'm the next HC at Boone County, I'm taking a short trip up the road to visit Tom Bolden who is the HC at Colerain HS in Cincy.

Flexbone it up. The beauty of all things Wing T, run it right at you football & spread all rolled into one.

Not to mention, eating the clock and helping out your defense as much as possible.
I don't know if I would leave Colerain for Boone. Speaking in terms of program depth anyway. I have no idea if Ohio pay is less or anything like that.
Oh he11 no!! lol Not that, I mean, going and visiting Colerain/Bolden b/c of them being flexbone masters.
Well you better bring back some of Colerains players. The game is about players.
Wasn't aware of that....
Real Badman Wrote:I don't know if I would leave Colerain for Boone. Speaking in terms of program depth anyway. I have no idea if Ohio pay is less or anything like that.
I don't think they are talking about stealing the Colerain head coach. They are talking about learning his offense. The Colerain offense would be a great scheme to re-build Boone with. I disagree with the other poster who thinks Boone has great potential though. Things have changed since Owen Houk was there. Many things. Boone is one of the bottom half jobs in northern KY now. A coach needs to accept that, get the fans to accept that, and then build it up to where it can be. 4 to 6 wins most years and a great team very now and then. Tired of all this 0-10, 1-9 stuff.
Do you think it needs to be a big name coach?
Death Wrote:Do you think it needs to be a big name coach?

A big name is not going there and a big name would be wasted there. It is a lower tier job.
Boone isn't even in the top half. They are a perennial bottom feeder and that isn't going to change. If they win more than 1-2 games a year over the next 4 year cycle is be shocked.
Double Wing is a great offense. Don't believe me? Watch Navy take Ohio State to the wire this past football season in Columbus!
Boone needs stability and along with that, a HC who wants to be there for the long haul. The HC needs to build the feeder system and give young kids with choice a reason to play ay Boone. Football acumen may not be especially important. Someone with deep ties to Florence is needed.
How are they going to build a feeder system that's already established. Heck, their youth league has the second nicest field in the county! Boone needs a HC that can work miracles with little to no talent because that's what they are faced with from here on out.
Real Badman Wrote:Double Wing is a great offense. Don't believe me? Watch Navy take Ohio State to the wire this past football season in Columbus!

Double wing? Double wing is a totally different offense than what Navy, Army and Georgia Tech runs. They run the flexbone offense aka the spread option. But you are correct if you were referring to the flexbone offense...the flexbone is very tough to stop if you have the right personnel.
Offenses are only as good as the personnel running it. You must select and offense your players fit into. I've seen so many teams try to throw the ball that don't have the personnel to do it, or run a spread and try to jet with no speed. When you do things like that, it's like bringing sheep to the lions for defenses.
Whatever is ran, I'm making every game as short as possible if I'm going there, w/ a go for broke PAP game (or some very basic, basic quick game concepts..2-3 man routes at the most) when they do decide to let it fly (8-10 times on average). There are a multitude of schemes out there that can fit that.
And you'll still lose because they have no speed in the backfield and an undersized O-line. It's an overall talent deficiency that won't be fixed anytime soon, if ever.
Amazing. Just goes to show that if a big, 6A school in what's essentially a metropolitan area can go through drains like this, just think about what many in these smaller, rural schools/communities must feel like when they hit bad cycles of kids coming through.
School Admin. Wrote:Offenses are only as good as the personnel running it. You must select and offense your players fit into. I've seen so many teams try to throw the ball that don't have the personnel to do it, or run a spread and try to jet with no speed. When you do things like that, it's like bringing sheep to the lions for defenses.

I like the jet, it's a way to get the edge with average or below average speed because at least you're getting a running start. I do think a lot of teams try to over use the jet, it's good to open up you're belly series or whatever inside play your running with it. Usually a bad team is a bad team regardless of what you run. I have seen bad teams line up in the Power I and attempt to kick out with 135 pound power backs and full backs. If you can't block and tackle scheme isn't going to matter, just try to shorten the game and don't turn it over.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Amazing. Just goes to show that if a big, 6A school in what's essentially a metropolitan area can go through drains like this, just think about what many in these smaller, rural schools/communities must feel like when they hit bad cycles of kids coming through.

Whoever comes in there needs to strongly reevaluate their non district schedule and pick up some wins there, they are not going to be able to play with the schools of their size in Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties, they need to pay up and pay some smaller or more rural schools. Boone just don't have the kids they used to have.
Just wondering if they have hired yet. I Knew someone who was going to put in for job but had not heard if they got it or not
DarthVader Wrote:I like the jet, it's a way to get the edge with average or below average speed because at least you're getting a running start. I do think a lot of teams try to over use the jet, it's good to open up you're belly series or whatever inside play your running with it. Usually a bad team is a bad team regardless of what you run. I have seen bad teams line up in the Power I and attempt to kick out with 135 pound power backs and full backs. If you can't block and tackle scheme isn't going to matter, just try to shorten the game and don't turn it over.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you. If you try to run a jet series offense with average or below average speed, you aren't going to be very successful with it. The entire premise of running the jet series is to get fast backs on the edge quickly. The running start adds to their speed, however, when you have an average or below average speed, the running start becomes less of a factor. The reason is, perimeter defenders will have a little extra time to come up and stop the play, also defensive ends have to be blocked in order to get the edge. Backs vs. D.E. are tough blocks to make, and you will only have a short time frame to tie them up, hence that's where the speed aids this offense. Slower players will not make it to the edge. As a defensive coach, I love seeing that run with slower teams.
School Admin. Wrote:I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you. If you try to run a jet series offense with average or below average speed, you aren't going to be very successful with it. The entire premise of running the jet series is to get fast backs on the edge quickly. The running start adds to their speed, however, when you have an average or below average speed, the running start becomes less of a factor. The reason is, perimeter defenders will have a little extra time to come up and stop the play, also defensive ends have to be blocked in order to get the edge. Backs vs. D.E. are tough blocks to make, and you will only have a short time frame to tie them up, hence that's where the speed aids this offense. Slower players will not make it to the edge. As a defensive coach, I love seeing that run with slower teams.

If you perimeter is flying up, then your're going to get bunch concepts thrown at your secondary off of the jet action, If you are faster than me, you're better than me simple as that. If you don't have to honor me on the perimeter and can wrong arm my off tackle plays which will force me to bounce with you're defensive end then that doesn't help me much either. Also, I would probably run the rocket series to get the edge quicker but if you are fast rolling to motion or flying up on the outside there are other answers to attack this. Also in Jet/Rocket schemes you are going to get a reach block from the TE player on the Defensive End as opposed to having a back handle him, The back would be responsible for what is typically going to be a perimeter player. This is assuming you are running from Red/Blue formations in the Wing T much like the old Wes Elrod stuff. If you are running from a 2X2 look then you're still not going to have to handle the ends with skill kids other than having maybe having your back help on the T reach to 2nd level. If you're even talent and you are flying out with the jet/rocket then you are going to get killed on belly, sally, counter, etc.

But what it comes down to is if you are better then you will be better regardless of scheme, every sound scheme has answers for anything a defense/offense presents, if you are that much faster then there is little I can do if I am not just bigger and stronger physically. A lot of people like I said try to force the Jet Sweep, to me it is a constraint to open up your inside game and needs to be used when your other run game is having problems in the series.
It's seeing programs like this, which was two points from playing for the 6A title not even 4 years ago...that makes it extremely difficult for me to criticize high school football coaches in person, but especially behind a computer screen (especially those who have won at any capacity, either as a HC and/or assistant...playoff wins, region appearances, semi, state finals..all of it).

As Jackson05 has added to what I've heard for a long time, their youth league is top notch.

-they are a 6A school.

-located in a metro/suburb type area.

-plenty of bodies (able to play full Freshmen and JV schedules, respectively every year)

-from what I know, transportation and logistics in that area are at a minimum (unlike many rural, smaller, county schools who have much of their male population that lives some 10+ miles from the school).

-I'm not exactly an agriculture expert, but here is guessing that Boone County as a whole is on the lower end of beef, corn, soybean, tobacco and overall barn population of our state.

-It's had two coaches the last 17 years, one of which in Rick Thompson who had six of those seasons extend to a region final or beyond. Jeff Griffiths who had success at Wayne County back in the day, then as the DC for Bowling Green's 3-Peat, amongst other years was only able to win one game in two years (in absolute no way do I think that reflects his coaching abilities).

-It sounds to me like the only similarity that Boone County has to many of our smaller (a lot of times rural schools) are some socioeconomic factors (which, I believe play more of a factor than most will ever want to admit.)

I know that's a little bit of a rant, and a lot of what I hit on earlier. Player and program development isn't as easy as many think. So many programs out there are the exact, polar opposites of the above points...yet struggle, and we wonder why? If the unfortunate fall of Boone County does anything, maybe it helps make sense of why many others struggle at times.

It sure as hell does for me.
The fall of Boone County is timed with the rise of Cooper. That extra school in the district hit both Boone and Ryle pretty hard. Ryle should recover this year. Boone will be a much longer process. Or it might never recover.
I don't disagree with that one bit. Anybody have an idea of what the enrollment of Boone County was back in 93/94 when Ryle opened?
Seems like schools would want to have a coach hired soon before spring practice and stuff. A coach coming in this late is going to feel like he is behind on a lot of things.
I think that is more of a popular thing to say than it is actual reality (At least in terms of it really making a difference their first year).

Now, I will say that missing spring practice & that changes a bit. Not that I think 10 real, padded practices bt Nov/Dec and next 1st August make that big of a difference in the upcoming season (words of blasphemy, I know), but it does give the new coach some familiarity going into the season of who can do what, to which I could definitely understand why they would feel like he/they are behind (like my captain obvious comment there?)
Jobs aren't done coming open, either. And some will have nothing to do with coaches leaving for those that are still open. I can't say which one (it's a 5A school, both in the old and new alignment), but one will be official early this week.
Pages: 1 2