Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence County 64 Belfry 47
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final. LC will play Pike Co Central tomorrow night for the 60th district crown.
Belfry hit 11 3's and 5 2's in this game.
How in the world could Belfry basketball be this down. Does any of the football players play basketball or are they just straight football
Couple of them. Woolum, Willis.

6-20 on the year. All they do is pretty much shoot 3's
Belfry's coach is terrible
Coach Thompson is not terrible.

They don't have players, and I do not mean that in a disparaging way toward the kids, but they do not have a lot of athletes that are Basketball players.

Belfry basketball needs an overhaul from top to bottom - midget league to middle school- but that isn't going to happen.
Belfry plays the right way, they play hard and that comes from coaching. When a school is so dominant in one sport it is hard for the other progams to get kids especially at the younger ages to play anything but football.
dawg fan Wrote:Belfry plays the right way, they play hard and that comes from coaching. When a school is so dominant in one sport it is hard for the other progams to get kids especially at the younger ages to play anything but football.

They do.

Thompson is a solid coach, that doesn't have a lot of help, or a lot of support. He also has middle school coaches bad mouthing him and the community as a whole expect a lot more out of that program than what they put into it.

As my pappy used to say " you can't get blood out a turnip son."
Everybody who has something to say has their own agenda besides the program and the team. Their mad because their nephew or cousin doesnt play enough and say well if Thompson played this kid we'd won. Think about how asinine that is. Why would the man not play someone who could help him win??? Like you guys mebtioned the kids who play play hard. Dillon battled his ass off all year but at 150 pounds he's nt a post player. He'd made us a great 3 but had to play center. That's not adam or Thompsons fault. That's just the hand he's dealt. can we let us have a talented team before we cast stones and judge his ability

And the finger can fet pointed at Thompson all they want about kids not playing but it comes down to football. Parents and kids won't encourage their kids nearly the way they do in football and theirs a false sense that u can't love both or do both
Im so sick of the "Belfry is a football school so they struggle at basketball" bullshit. Thompson is horrible, he was a "relative" hire because of being related to the Dotson family. Its a simple as that. He was horrible at Pike Central and wasn't there long. So Belfry and the BOE decided he was the right fit for a struggling program? Really? Theres no one stupid enough to believe hes the man to turn around this program. They won 6 games, 6 flippin games and Ill bet my paycheck they don't win anymore next year unless they can start scheduling middle schools. Anyone that says it cant be done at Belfry must not remember the late 80s and 90s at Belfry. They had a coach that took the best he had and won 3 region titles with 2 more runner ups. And yes Belfry was still a pretty good football program at that time also. And he did it the right way. If a kid was too big of a wuss to stick it out and put in the work before school and after school then they didn't play. I was there and I know several several kids who were good enough to contribute to those teams and they couldn't take the tough love that Coach Justice dished out on a daily basis and you know where those kids were on game nights? In the stands eating popcorn watching kids who actually had the desire to work and win. If you are a good coach you will find the kids who are willing to work hard, you will teach them the fundamentals that will make them good solid basketball players and in the end you will win. Coach Justice didn't win overnight but he did it the right way and his results speak for themselves. If anyone has an issue with this point please feel free to PM me, not gonna go on bashing Thompson on here anymore. If you played at Belfry during the glory years its just disgusting to see how bad this program has become.