Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland 78 Fairview 64 (64th District Semifinal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Boyd Co. Middle School. Ashland is now 5-25 but moving on for the 24 straight season to the regional tournament.
The truth is Ashland has a winning record this month. It will be a very tall task to defeat Boyd on their home floor, especially with the way Ashland struggled with the press last night, but for one night they took the lemons and made lemonade. Congratulations to a resiliant group of boys.
Advancing to the regional tournament isn't really much of a task in modern times but 24 in a row is significant. If you research the district a little, you will find that it formally consisted of 12 schools. Getting through that district was an accomplishment.

Nonetheless, the upside, so far as I'm concerned, is that Miller will, with at least 2 games remaining, almost certainly reach 1,000 career points. From all indications, he is a fine young man and deserving of the honor.

As I posted earlier, Ashland, with a good draw (and through the years Ashland tends to get extremely good draws), could make it to the regional championship. I look for Rowan County to draw into the same bracket as Boyd County. That would leave Ashland's bracket as particularly weak.

I'm obviously no Ashland fan but I do like underdogs. So, it could be entertaining in Morehead.
Truth Wrote:Advancing to the regional tournament isn't really much of a task in modern times but 24 in a row is significant. If you research the district a little, you will find that it formally consisted of 12 schools. Getting through that district was an accomplishment.

Nonetheless, the upside, so far as I'm concerned, is that Miller will, with at least 2 games remaining, almost certainly reach 1,000 career points. From all indications, he is a fine young man and deserving of the honor.

As I posted earlier, Ashland, with a good draw (and through the years Ashland tends to get extremely good draws), could make it to the regional championship. I look for Rowan County to draw into the same bracket as Boyd County. That would leave Ashland's bracket as particularly weak.

I'm obviously no Ashland fan but I do like underdogs. So, it could be entertaining in Morehead.

Unless they draw Greenup or Raceland Ashland has no chance of winning a game in the region.
Fighter09 Wrote:Unless they draw Greenup or Raceland Ashland has no chance of winning a game in the region.

I expect Ashland to draw the winner of the 63rd District- Raceland or Greenup County. And, in all honesty, I don't expect the winner of the 62nd District to perform particularly well when the marbles are all on the table. Thus, that would be Ashland's path to the championship.

Long shot? Probably. But, maybe not. That is why they play the games. And, it would be neat for a school to make it to Rupp Arena with an 8-26 record.
Truth Wrote:Advancing to the regional tournament isn't really much of a task in modern times but 24 in a row is significant. If you research the district a little, you will find that it formally consisted of 12 schools. Getting through that district was an accomplishment.

Truth Wrote:I expect Ashland to draw the winner of the 63rd District- Raceland or Greenup County. And, in all honesty, I don't expect the winner of the 62nd District to perform particularly well when the marbles are all on the table. Thus, that would be Ashland's path to the championship.

Long shot? Probably. But, maybe not. That is why they play the games. And, it would be neat for a school to make it to Rupp Arena with an 8-26 record.

The winner of the 62nd district can perform bad and still beat Ashland handily. Ashland is that bad this year. They beat a bad Fleming county team and a bad Fairview team. Having Miller back will not make much of a difference at all. Not sure why you think Boyd and Rowan will be on the same side of the bracket either. But regardless stick a fork in Ashland next week, they have no chance.
Miller reached 1000 points last night. Also, I dont think they can beat Rowan, but I think on one night, with Miller, they can compete with the rest of the teams.
Fighter09 Wrote:The winner of the 62nd district can perform bad and still beat Ashland handily. Ashland is that bad this year. They beat a bad Fleming county team and a bad Fairview team. Having Miller back will not make much of a difference at all. Not sure why you think Boyd and Rowan will be on the same side of the bracket either. But regardless stick a fork in Ashland next week, they have no chance.

You may be right but I'll stick with my analysis. The region is interesting since there are no particularly good teams in it. Mediocrity often produces a competitive tournament.
washed up Wrote:Miller reached 1000 points last night. Also, I dont think they can beat Rowan, but I think on one night, with Miller, they can compete with the rest of the teams.

Good for Miller. Your analysis is good. I saw a statewide ranking earlier this week in which Rowan County was ranked, I believe, 67th in the state. The rest of the region was far below that. And, all regions had schools rated well above Rowan County. So, it could be a very competitive tournament because no team remotely stands out as even a longshot contender in Rupp Arena. Low average and below average teams can produce a good tournament. This could be the case in Morehead.

Also, look for Ashland to play Boyd County close. That is the way it usually goes.