Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 0-10 in the regular season... 5-0 in the playoffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
IT COULD HAPPEN!!!!

With six classes and several teams in all six classes making it in to the 'Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl' (the playoffs) without winning a game. Do you think we will see a team go 0-10 in the regular season, then win five straight and win the state championship?

Chances are probably not. But stranger things have happened.

If it that did happen, Kentucky's football system would be the laughing stock of the Nation, ESPN would be live for a week doing SportsCenter there and you can bet that a movie deal would be reached before the trophy case is built.
....I don't know that stranger things have or would happen.

That would take the cake.
I think Bell Co was 0-10 officially or 1-9 in 1991 when they won there state championship

Same thing happened to Fort Thomas Highlands

both teams due to ineligible player before the playoffs
Objective Wrote:I think Bell Co was 0-10 officially or 1-9 in 1991 when they won there state championship

Touché....

Lets' say all ten losses were actual games where both teams had legal players and one team beat the other by a higher score within the NFHS/KHSAA bylaws and regulations.
^^^ now to get on the subject

I could see (and sure they have) Male, Trinity, Louisville Central or one of the big schools being .500 or even worst due to a tough out of state / in state schedule but not 0-10 .....Should never happen but it is possible
IMO yes it can happen. Lets say a team losses its varsity QB to injury for a span, or the regulars season, then gets him back for the playoffs.

Its possible, unlikely but possible.
Objective Wrote:I think Bell Co was 0-10 officially or 1-9 in 1991 when they won there state championship

In '91, Bell County did have to forfeit their first 3-4 wins that season, but the ineligible player did not finish the season, so they didn't have to forfeit the last half of their schedule. I'm thinking their "official" regular season record ended up being 6-4 or so.
I think the most likely team to do something like that would be Trinity with the way they schedule, they only played 3 in-state opponents (district opponents Manual, Male and X). Their competition level is elite, but they always have the talent to win state, kinda like last year. But it is still very, very unlikely to happen with anyone IMHO.
Better chance of Billy Clyde coaching Kentucky again than that happening...C'mon man! Weather must be getting to you...
Bear_Paw Wrote:Better chance of Billy Clyde coaching Kentucky again than that happening...C'mon man! Weather must be getting to you...

If Highlands has a down year, but their schedule still has them playing to tier teams from across the nation. Add in some upsets from in-state teams making them 0-10. But they are in a four team district.

They get hot in the playoffs and win five straight and the state championship.

It could happen.
Anything is possible but I just don't see it happening. But who knows it could.
NO WAY. I don't care who you play in the regular season, you only win one or two games you don't have the horses to do anything I don't care if you have the best qb in the nation and he misses the whole season. If you don't have good enough players to win 4 or 5 games there is no way to do anything in the playoffs. This aint hoops 2 players cant win a state title, it takes a team!!!!!
Highly, highly unlikely that would ever happen. Anything is possible, but it's a serious longshot.
Here is a just-as-likely-to-happen-but-would-be-fun-to-watch scenario. Let's say scientists breed a couple dozen chimpanzees and a couple dozen baboons to play football. We suit them up and let them have at it, pads and all. Chimp quarterback has a sprained ankle from an ill-advised "climb tree to get banana" attempt but baboon QB has poor pocket presence and misreads coverages every other play. Oh, and both coaches are Capuchin monkeys with Bill Bilicheck's DNA spliced into theirs.

Question is... What is the over-under?
I doubt it will ever happen, but it is possible. lets say one of the super district teams in the past alignment(trinity, st x, manual, and male) lost to all district opponents in close games, and all there remaining games where out of state opponents like elder, Colerain, ensworth, etc, I could see them running the table in the playoffs. Almost any team can pick what there regular season record is outside of district by who you schedule. Somerset has to have the best 0-11 team ever in the tate of Kentucky last year. They played some good teams, and took many to the wire, I had them picked to win in the first round, and even though they didn't they gave that 1 seed a run for there money. I can think of a lot of teams that somerset would have blown out last year if they had them on there schedule, and ive seen teams start out undefeated that wasn't good simply because of a horrible schedule.
Very unlikely but stranger things have happened in the mountains