Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Southwestern getting turf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The rumor at Sports Den today was Southwestern would have field turf installed in time for the 2015 season, and PC in time for the 2016 season. Can anyone verify this rumor?
Don't do it.
My buddy has a couple of kids on the PC teams, middle school and high school and he said that he heard something like that. I told him I'd rather play on the grass and complimented how well PC's field looks at game time. I've seen some real mud stompers at PC after rains and that field heals up very well after a muddy game. Turf sucks. In my opinion, there are more knee and ankle injuries on the unforgiving turf fields than on grass.
On a bye note Knox Central also has a nice grass field.
It's all a verified RUMOR though that the school will get turf though. He didn't know for sure himself.
papagrit Wrote:My buddy has a couple of kids on the PC teams, middle school and high school and he said that he heard something like that. I told him I'd rather play on the grass and complimented how well PC's field looks at game time. I've seen some real mud stompers at PC after rains and that field heals up very well after a muddy game. Turf sucks. In my opinion, there are more knee and ankle injuries on the unforgiving turf fields than on grass.
On a bye note Knox Central also has a nice grass field.
It's all a verified RUMOR though that the school will get turf though. He didn't know for sure himself.

Research does not go along with that opinion.
Depends more on the type of turf used. Turf today is usually a longer cut with rubber pellets to help cushion the blow. UK is going with the newer turf it will allow more events on the field, they will be able to practice where they play. Myself I like the idea.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Research does not go along with that opinion.

Anybody that has played on turf knows differently. It's extremely easy to get an entire leg caught on turf and it doesn't happen with grass.
The stats might say otherwise but give me grass any day. Look at some of these schools who's had turf for a while now. Where's the money going to come from to replace? I hope not tax payer money considering grass grows for free every day.
Look Gut just because we are getting turf and Whitley is not getting it dont mean you guys have to be jealous of the Pulaski schools.
A co-worker showed me info on how the government is investigating the rubber on the turf and if it is linked to cancer, said there are studies being done to study this.
http://today.uchc.edu/headlines/2007/nov07/toxins.html

I have heard Somerset is going turf but just hearsay.

If the studies are done I dont see it happening for lawsuit reasons as well as health reasons.
The sports turf today has drastically cut down on the knee and ankle injuries, from what I have seen through statistics. The old turf that Gut talks about was unforgiving, as knee injuries especially, were off the charts. However, with modern technology, the artificial turf has actually gotten better.
grass doesn't grow for free on playing surfaces. Tens of thousands of dollars are spent every year on treating a grass field/painting a field every week. Irrigation systems also need to be maintained and the field has to be watered several times a week. Also throw in a soccer field going through the same process.
jim rome Wrote:The rumor at Sports Den today was Southwestern would have field turf installed in time for the 2015 season, and PC in time for the 2016 season. Can anyone verify this rumor?
My quess would be both would get it the same year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Anybody that has played on turf knows differently. It's extremely easy to get an entire leg caught on turf and it doesn't happen with grass.
The stats might say otherwise but give me grass any day. Look at some of these schools who's had turf for a while now. Where's the money going to come from to replace? I hope not tax payer money considering grass grows for free every day.

Grass does not grow free. I know some School Systems spend several thousands a year to maintain a Field. The Tax payers pay for that. Artificial Turf is a must for School Systems with limited space.
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:Grass does not grow free. I know some School Systems spend several thousands a year to maintain a Field. The Tax payers pay for that. Artificial Turf is a must for School Systems with limited space.

The people who maintain the grass are usually already hired by the school like janitors. The price of grass is nothing in comparison to a quarter of a million for turf that may last 5 to 10 years.
if you all like turf that's fine. Me personally I'd much rather see and sMell Bermuda anyday. I hope Whitley never makes the mistake of getting turf.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The people who maintain the grass are usually already hired by the school like janitors. The price of grass is nothing in comparison to a quarter of a million for turf that may last 5 to 10 years.
if you all like turf that's fine. Me personally I'd much rather see and sMell Bermuda anyday. I hope Whitley never makes the mistake of getting turf.

Whitley County is very fortunate to have so much space. 2 Football Fields on Campus. Also have a full size practice field. Football, Band and Soccer can practice at same time. While at other Schools, these fight for time on Football Field. Turf can take all the traffic while 1 grass field will be worn out.
If turf is what the majority of the people want down there, more power to you. I grew up on grass (and rocks and weeds and mud) playing football. My kids did as well. Now they play on turf in all of their college games and they hate it. My youngest had to get a rubber pellet removed from his eye after his last game this past year. This is on the new, best sort of turf field that is supposed to be the most forgiving and the best thing since front pockets were put into pants. Last year, they lost four or five running backs to knee injury. Can't say it wouldn't have happened on grass. I won't say that it would have because I don't believe that it would have happened on grass. Three times happened during games when the kid planted to cut. I saw them myself. They moved a linebacker with past running back experience over to offense for another running back in the stable. In my honest personal opinion, turf sucks...especially if you were fortunate enough to come up through the years on grass fields. That is a quote from my oldest son. He and his brother hate the turf. Like I said earlier, Pulaski has an awesome field...Southwestern's is alright too....but get a turf field if that is what the majority of the people down there want. Then you all can schedule times on it for football, soccer, band practice, baseball and softball on wet days etc. It won't just be a football field anymore. I just don't see how great of an idea that it is.
Well shit, I don't think anyone in getting turf now. Apparently PC didn't like it because South Western was getting turf this year and they were going to have to wait till next year. So, for now its screwed up for both schools.:ape:
DDP5 Wrote:grass doesn't grow for free on playing surfaces. Tens of thousands of dollars are spent every year on treating a grass field/painting a field every week. Irrigation systems also need to be maintained and the field has to be watered several times a week. Also throw in a soccer field going through the same process.

Are you saying it is cheaper to have turf than grass?
I'm all for turf as long as they don't use a penny of tax money. If they want turf have them get out and work for it.
Well, from my visits to both schools. Pc certainly could use the turf, that field is atrocious! But then they couldn't "leave" the sprinklers on and it wouldn't be soaked in some cases. However Pc has a great stadium setup and if I'm not mistaken the PCSB paid for that. In SW case they could certainly use the turf but the PCSB didn't build their field house, or anything close to what Pc looks like. Heck the concrete along for Pc has to be half the cost of the tirf field.
insideinfo Wrote:I'm all for turf as long as they don't use a penny of tax money. If they want turf have them get out and work for it.
That money is set ear marked for faclities improvemnet , Are you ok with them upgrading the basketball court , the tennis courts or the baseball fields?? What do suggest they use it for ? Football is the biggest draw of any sport, so I would think those kids deserve it.
How many times will boys and girls soccer use it? How many times will band and middle school football use it? Everybody gets all over people about football field turf but when you figure all the paint, maintenance, mowing and what not its getting to the point where you are ahead to have field turf.
insideinfo Wrote:I'm all for turf as long as they don't use a penny of tax money. If they want turf have them get out and work for it.

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen. How do you suppose a bunch of 14-17 year old high school students, or full time high school teachers/coaches get out and "work for it"? That's what tax money is for, improving the schools, which includes maintaining athletic faculties. Pay for it themselves? That's a lot of bake sales and car washes. Think before you speak.
RoShamBo Wrote:This is one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen. How do you suppose a bunch of 14-17 year old high school students, or full time high school teachers/coaches get out and "work for it"? That's what tax money is for, improving the schools, which includes maintaining athletic faculties. Pay for it themselves? That's a lot of bake sales and car washes. Think before you speak.
:Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Thumbs::Thumbs::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:
jim rome Wrote:Well shit, I don't think anyone in getting turf now. Apparently PC didn't like it because South Western was getting turf this year and they were going to have to wait till next year. So, for now its screwed up for both schools.:ape:

Idk if they'll get it or not but if anyone does it should be the state champion Maroons..

TongueirateSho:
insideinfo Wrote:Are you saying it is cheaper to have turf than grass?
One would think it wouldn't be cheaper, but as many high schools and colleges that have went to turf it must be. It's probably like an investment, 5 or 6 years down the road you probably see I financial benefit.
Go **** yourself Bucwheat.:lolrage:
Trophy Room Wrote:One would think it wouldn't be cheaper, but as many high schools and colleges that have went to turf it must be. It's probably like an investment, 5 or 6 years down the road you probably see I financial benefit.

If I was a coach that had to teach, coach, and on my own time now that thing for every program out there I'd be pushing for turf. Many coaches across the state do that.
jumperdogpete Wrote:That money is set ear marked for faclities improvemnet , Are you ok with them upgrading the basketball court , the tennis courts or the baseball fields?? What do suggest they use it for ? Football is the biggest draw of any sport, so I would think those kids deserve it.

If you want it have the Booster club get out and raise the money that what there for.
Stuff is lasting 10-12 years.

To do a game field RIGHT, every year, you can bank on 15K or so and that's the stuff you do in the offseason for it.

Whole lot of people across our state (nation goes without saying) are going to it, so it must be more to it than what we all perceive from the outside looking in.
Turf? Cost lots of $$$$
Pages: 1 2