Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Williamsburg 68 Corbin 65
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
FINAL. :Cheerlead
Always s battle when these two teams play.
Sound the alarm
Fred Massey 18pts tonight....Wow :worthy:
Any stats for Shelton and taylor
64SUR Wrote:Fred Massey 18pts tonight....Wow :worthy:

Massey was the difference tonight. He made a bunch of big plays, hit a bunch of FT's and caused 2 or 3 Redhounds to foul out.
I hate to say this but if Massey were still at Harlan County things would look much different. Still not sure why he left.
^
That's exactly true!! Massey made the best choice for him personally, when he decided to leave. I'm so thankful he ended up with such a supportive fan base!
Oh, I almost forgot....congratulations Jackets on your victory!!!
To me Fred played harder than anyone else on the floor. Way to go Fred!!!The rest of the jackets didn't show much fire. Of course you can expect this 18 games into the season. Teams will have off nights.. And to me the Jackets had one.. Still a great game... Way to go Jackets.
I really wanted to refrain from saying this but i guess i will have to.....i'm glad we won and i would be one of the last people to claim this but if something isn't done with 13th region officials then something crazy will happen. W'burg won and the fouls will show probably equal numbers on both teams. But it's what isn't called or the way its called is just ludicrous.....case in point......an official in last night's game called a double foul on a charge. The ref that made the charging call actually came to the scorer's table and said "we have a blocking charge" i was close enough to hear it. The other referee heard and actually made a phantom foul call on another kid that was nowhere near the action. Corbin actually committed the charge and got the ball back when the double foul was called. W'burg had players tripped with no calls, took to the floor on rebounds with no call and w'burg had fouls called where players weren't even touched......i know people are thinking whatever but it actually happened. Guess coach p wont have anything to put on facebook this time. Every time w'burg made a run or took the lead or pushed ahead then the calls started. Corbin has too much talent and plays well enough to have adults try to determine the outcome of the game. Corbin had some great outside shooting last night and played aggressive......actually played well enough to win. Like i always say an ugly win is so much better than an pretty loss. But something has to be done with the terrible officiating in the 13th. This isn't a w'burg problem either......it is across the board. It's just ashame that guys that put on the stripes that claim to no the rules can basically do whatever they want and there in no reprecussion for their actions. I mean seriously a "blocking charge"??
Having said that massey was by far the difference tonight.....he played as well as i have seen him play this year. He was a force on both ends of the floor. Shelton got hot and started draining some 3's.......the dunk andrew griffith had in the first qtr on top of a corbin player was just awesome. W'burg was down all night and fought through some hard spots. This is a team that just fights till the very end and finds ways to win even when it looks like there is no chance to pull one out. With the win that really puts w'burg in drivers seat now to be #1 seed in district which means another rematch with corbin looks like. Its hard to beat a team 3 times let alone 4 times in a year. Still have 2 with south and home against whitley. We would have to lose all 3 district games left in order to lose #1 seed. It's possible......south is playing pretty well right now and whitley will always be a tough game just because of bragging rights. It's almost tournament time......
OLDBALLCOACH Wrote:I really wanted to refrain from saying this but i guess i will have to.....i'm glad we won and i would be one of the last people to claim this but if something isn't done with 13th region officials then something crazy will happen. W'burg won and the fouls will show probably equal numbers on both teams. But it's what isn't called or the way its called is just ludicrous.....case in point......an official in last night's game called a double foul on a charge. The ref that made the charging call actually came to the scorer's table and said "we have a blocking charge" i was close enough to hear it. The other referee heard and actually made a phantom foul call on another kid that was nowhere near the action. Corbin actually committed the charge and got the ball back when the double foul was called. W'burg had players tripped with no calls, took to the floor on rebounds with no call and w'burg had fouls called where players weren't even touched......i know people are thinking whatever but it actually happened. Guess coach p wont have anything to put on facebook this time. Every time w'burg made a run or took the lead or pushed ahead then the calls started. Corbin has too much talent and plays well enough to have adults try to determine the outcome of the game. Corbin had some great outside shooting last night and played aggressive......actually played well enough to win. Like i always say an ugly win is so much better than an pretty loss. But something has to be done with the terrible officiating in the 13th. This isn't a w'burg problem either......it is across the board. It's just ashame that guys that put on the stripes that claim to no the rules can basically do whatever they want and there in no reprecussion for their actions. I mean seriously a "blocking charge"??

I think that double foul call is stupid, but I have seen it called several times at different levels of basketball. If you have an offensive guy that is out of control and a defender that is not set, you will sometimes see the call resulting in a blocking/charge. Not sure how it played out at this game, and may very well have been a terrible call.
The call on the ball takes precedence over anything else....the charging call gives the ball back to w'burg. Even if the foul is called on top if there is no shooting violation then the ball stays with w'burg in this case and play continues. I just hate to see players get anticipation calls or gets slightly bumped and gets to shoot free throws and another player has to get hammered before a foul is called. A double foul cannot be called when one call is on the ball and another foul away from the ball. It is simply two seperate fouls and the ball foul controls the possession. The only difference i believe is if there had a bonus situation that would have given corbin foul shots. Again, corbin played well enough to win.........but officials have got to learn that the kids are there to decide the outcome of the game not them.
The foul has to be called one way or the other.......if player wasn't set then its a block. If offensive is out of control and initiates contact then its a charge. It can't be both.....that's just crazy.
OLDBALLCOACH Wrote:The call on the ball takes precedence over anything else....the charging call gives the ball back to w'burg. Even if the foul is called on top if there is no shooting violation then the ball stays with w'burg in this case and play continues. I just hate to see players get anticipation calls or gets slightly bumped and gets to shoot free throws and another player has to get hammered before a foul is called. A double foul cannot be called when one call is on the ball and another foul away from the ball. It is simply two seperate fouls and the ball foul controls the possession. The only difference i believe is if there had a bonus situation that would have given corbin foul shots. Again, corbin played well enough to win.........but officials have got to learn that the kids are there to decide the outcome of the game not them.

If the the ball is shot then there is no team control and you have a double foul ,which is in the rule book, you must go to the alternating possession arrow. If no shot and there is still team control the team that has the ball gets it back. If officiating is so bad why don't you get you licenses and make a difference in the game of officiating. These gentlemen give up time with their family for these student athletes to have idiots like you bash them behind a fake name. Now if you want to get into a rules debate bring it on because I'm sure you don't know as many as you think.
i have no dog in this fight between burg and corbin, but i have to say when glen gray joined clay county`s coaching staff it hurt the level of officiating in the 13th. jmo..
mistakes are made at all levels, i was at the uk alabama game saturday there was a foul called on willie cauley with no contact at all, a lot of contact go`s on underneath the basket with no whistle.
upintheair Wrote:if the the ball is shot then there is no team control and you have a double foul ,which is in the rule book, you must go to the alternating possession arrow. If no shot and there is still team control the team that has the ball gets it back. If officiating is so bad why don't you get you licenses and make a difference in the game of officiating. These gentlemen give up time with their family for these student athletes to have idiots like you bash them behind a fake name. Now if you want to get into a rules debate bring it on because i'm sure you don't know as many as you think.

you would be totally surprised the amount of knowledge i have on the rules of basketball. When a charge is called then there is player control. A double foul is when two fouls occur simultaneously. This wasn't the case.....so before you go off spouting rules make sure you understand what you're talking about. If they agree to wear the stripes then take the criticism.....it comes with the job. And for your information i do have a license to officiate basketball and know the rules. So be careful who you call idiot when obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.
Fred Massey 18pts
Skylaer Griffith 15pts
Andrew Griffith 14pts
Cory Shelton 13pts
Chase Lowrie 06pts
Eric Poore 02pts

:worthy:
I was there one official had a charge the other official had a block so they both report their fouls and since the shot was in the air they went to the arrow. so i think you have way to much orange in your eyes.
OLDBALLCOACH Wrote:Having said that massey was by far the difference tonight.....he played as well as i have seen him play this year. He was a force on both ends of the floor. Shelton got hot and started draining some 3's.......the dunk andrew griffith had in the first qtr on top of a corbin player was just awesome. W'burg was down all night and fought through some hard spots. This is a team that just fights till the very end and finds ways to win even when it looks like there is no chance to pull one out. With the win that really puts w'burg in drivers seat now to be #1 seed in district which means another rematch with corbin looks like. Its hard to beat a team 3 times let alone 4 times in a year. Still have 2 with south and home against whitley. We would have to lose all 3 district games left in order to lose #1 seed. It's possible......south is playing pretty well right now and whitley will always be a tough game just because of bragging rights. It's almost tournament time......

Actually, I think if you get swept by South, then you couldn't be the one seed. South is 2-2 in district right now, two wins would make them 4-2 and would win a tiebreaker with Williamsburg.
As a former official, I agree that high school officiating has really gone downhill in the last decade. To say these guys give up time with their families to benefit high school athletes is true, but I guarantee they wouldn't do it for free. It's a job like anything else. I've seen officials take games away from kids first hand. I won't name names, but I've seen officials this year in the 13th that were too heavy to run up and down the floor, and they have to make calls from 50 feet away. You can't be accurate like that. The supervisor I had(Von Hatcher) wouldn't tolerate that. I don't know how it is now, but I figure it's getting harder and harder to find people that will do it, and that probably results in poorer officiating. I don't care how they call the game, just be consistent. If you're gonna call touch fouls, call them consistent all night for both teams. If there's no blood, no foul, then let them play and be fair. It's not an easy job, but with 3 officials, it should be better than it is.
Read the post again......thats exacy what i said. I said w'burg is in drivers seat for being no1 seed. Didn't say they had it wrapped up......still have 2 games with south and i said south is playing well. I don't see w'burg losing 2 out of the next 3 but it is possible.
13th region hoops Wrote:as a former official, i agree that high school officiating has really gone downhill in the last decade. To say these guys give up time with their families to benefit high school athletes is true, but i guarantee they wouldn't do it for free. It's a job like anything else. I've seen officials take games away from kids first hand. I won't name names, but i've seen officials this year in the 13th that were too heavy to run up and down the floor, and they have to make calls from 50 feet away. You can't be accurate like that. The supervisor i had(von hatcher) wouldn't tolerate that. I don't know how it is now, but i figure it's getting harder and harder to find people that will do it, and that probably results in poorer officiating. I don't care how they call the game, just be consistent. If you're gonna call touch fouls, call them consistent all night for both teams. If there's no blood, no foul, then let them play and be fair. It's not an easy job, but with 3 officials, it should be better than it is.

amen and amen......consistency is the issue. I totally agree with everything you said.
Getting a win at Corbin is very difficult congrats to the Jackets....
upintheair Wrote:i was there one official had a charge the other official had a block so they both report their fouls and since the shot was in the air they went to the arrow. So i think you have way to much orange in your eyes.

the official underneath would take precedence again because of where the foul occured.......the other official that called the block even called the foul on the wrong guy. He signaled the wrong number to the scorer's table and actually gave the kid his third foul and coach decided to take him out. No orange colored glasses here. W'burg won this game......this is an issue across the board that no matter where you go the officiating is terrible. Consistency is what happened in the first game with w'burg and corbin.......they were calling everything both ways and it was all bad. Anytime you call almost 60 fouls in a game the players are no longer involved in the game. Its all officials and they have decided the outcome. The officials are to maintain control not take it over.
Cry cry, always when you lose... Blame the coach and players
00delk Wrote:i have no dog in this fight between burg and corbin, but i have to say when glen gray joined clay county`s coaching staff it hurt the level of officiating in the 13th. jmo..

Glen Gray was an excellent referee. Hated to see him go back into coaching.
OLDBALLCOACH Wrote:Read the post again......thats exacy what i said. I said w'burg is in drivers seat for being no1 seed. Didn't say they had it wrapped up......still have 2 games with south and i said south is playing well. I don't see w'burg losing 2 out of the next 3 but it is possible.
It is because you said Williamsburg would have to lose all 3. They actually would only have to lose 2 to lose the number 1 spot.
Pages: 1 2