Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2015-2016 Mountain Top Ten
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Who do you predict?
With almost every weapon back on defense Belfry has to be at the top. 2 straight years without being scored on in the championship game, defense wins championships.
Belfry/Pulaski at the top... Johnson Central at #3.

Southwestern, Corbin, and Bell in the midst.

Those are the 6 teams I think are definite... Shelby Valley, Pburg, Pikeville, Middlesboro, Williamsburg, Letcher Central, Lawrence County, Hazard, Knox Central, and North Laurel as the pool to fill the rest.
Johnson Central
Pulaski
Belfry
Corbin
SW
Knox
Bell
Williamsburg
Middleboro
Hazard

Outside; Pikeville lawrence letcher central north Laurel Pburg shelby valley PAINTSVILLE PCC magoffin
Eagleland Wrote:Johnson Central
Pulaski
Belfry
Corbin
SW
Knox
Bell
Williamsburg
Middleboro
Hazard

Outside; Pikeville lawrence letcher central north Laurel Pburg shelby valley PAINTSVILLE PCC magoffin
I'm trying to understand what, exactly, makes you pick Middlesboro over Pikeville? Hazard, I can maybe see due to sustained success over the years. Middlesboro has done nothing of note and definitely doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as a mountain top 10 at this point.
Pulaski
Belfry
Southwestern
Johnson Central
North Laurel
Bell
Knox
Leslie Co.
Shelby Valley
Paintsville

Hazard, Williamsburg, Corbin lost a ton last year... P-Burg looking to replace Jarrell and some othe Seniors... Letcher Could be very good if they can find a QB..
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry/Pulaski at the top... Johnson Central at #3.

Those are the 6 teams I think are definite... Shelby Valley, Pburg, Pikeville, Middlesboro, Williamsburg, Letcher Central, Lawrence County, Hazard, Knox Central, and North Laurel as the pool to fill the rest.

:thatsfunn
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry/Pulaski at the top... Johnson Central at #3.

Middlesboro will be lucky to field a team, 1-9 at best. Williamsburg lost way way to many to be in the top 10. P'Burg not in there either. Pikeville lost to much. Not sure about Hazard and Lawrence Co.

1. Belfry
2. Pulaski
3. Johnson Central
4. Southwestern
5. Bell County
6. North Laurel
7. Knox Central
8.Corbin
9. Letcher Central
10. Shelby Valley / Larence County / Hazard

Maybe someone I missed, if so I can adjust. Some looking to get in.......and may soon into season....

Whitley County
Leslie County
1. Pulaski County
2. Johnson Central
3. Belfry
4. Southwestern
5. Corbin
6. Bell County
7. North Laurel
8. Shelby Valley
9. Letcher County Central
10. Lawrence County

7-9 can easily be replaced by Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, Knox County, Williamsburg, or Hazard
Add Paintsville to the list of looking to get in soon.
Williamsburg lost almost an entire team. Corbin graduated like 50 seniors. Theres not doubt they could be ranked that high before the season is over, but I don't think some of you know exactly what there bringing back because even there fans aren't sure. I definitely wouldnt have Corbin in the top 3 right now. Very well could end up there, but they lost a lot.

1. Pulaski
2. Belfry
3. Southwestern
4. North Laurel
5. Johnson Central
6. Corbin
7. Bell County
8. Letcher Central
9. Knox Central
10. Whitley County

Im happy to see the quality of 5A football in this region finally start resembling somewhat of big school football. With the amount of kids those schools have to choose from, they should always be the better school, although it rarely works out that way, but next year, I think the 5A schools could end up being the top 5 or 6 teams with Belfry right there.
After seeing what happened to JC against Cov Cath, im just not satisfied ranking them higher until they actually play someone in the country that's good.
Real Badman Wrote:1. Pulaski County
2. Johnson Central
3. Belfry
4. Southwestern
5. Corbin
6. Bell County
7. North Laurel
8. Shelby Valley
9. Letcher County Central
10. Lawrence County

7-9 can easily be replaced by Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, Knox County, Williamsburg, or Hazard

Forgot to mention Russell. They should reach the regional final again. Always a good team.
Corbin has no business number 5. They lost a lot , they hanging on at 8,9,10.
Rockcastle will shock some people next year. Had a really young team that was never healthy last season. If they stay healthy next year watch out.
Corbin #4........ Behind Belfry, Pulaski, JC... Lost a ton!? How u figure? They will be better this year! Wait and see..... Tanks coming #platoon
Lost Qb and 1 WR, 1 RB, 2 OL. The whole d returns.... Pretty much..
Corbin lost 3 lb and 3 db. Will be more athletic in the secondary!
Offense will be fine!
bcpc Wrote:Corbin #4........ Behind Belfry, Pulaski, JC... Lost a ton!? How u figure? They will be better this year! Wait and see..... Tanks coming #platoon

Corbin graduated 7 starters on offense and 6 on defense. 1 of those defensive guys played a role in the offense so that could be considered 8 guys from the offense. They will be replacing over 80% of the offensive production, and 3 linebackers and their entire secondary. So yeah it could be considered a ton. Most of those seniors started for 3 years and a few started all 4 years. Do we have the numbers to just Reload, yes but some of the kids are still unproven at the varsity level. Look for kids like Brock, carter, Moore, Mitchell, Sizemore, Sevier, miller, love, sams, French, Murphy, and Ellison to play larger roles this season. But there will still be positions with questions. Will there be a back that gets the tough yardage that Coppock and Nantz could get, who fills in the 3 spots on the OL, and who will replace the LBs to anchor the defense? Corbin is on the rise under Haddix. But, to say we will be better is just as ludicrous as others saying we will be down.
Belfry and Pulaski at 1 and 2. Either way you want to put them. The rest can fight it out.
Im glad Belfry finally has some competition this year.
I'm guessing that Jewell will play a lil RB.... Wasn't he a previous starter, did he run hard? C'mon man, Corbin has 80 players in the weight room now not including BBall players, and another year experience in the O and D systems.... They will be better, hide and watch if ya wanna.. No hiding for me.... I wasn't all that impressed with RB play this year from the 2 seniors... The Qb did well, but I seen Haddix warming up the freshman last year on the sideline in close games for some reason....... Anyways, I'm done with this till next November-December. #platoon #tanks #haddixhounds
How can you put belfry over johnson central. Last 2 years no game to it. Central returns 9 starters on D. Return QB, both small RBs plus FB. Lost half the line but have bench lineman that will play next season
I think a lot have hit the nail of the head as far as the teams near the top, as for those competing for the rest of the spots I think a lot will be told early in 2015. I understand the loss to Paintsville put a black eye on the Panthers' 2014 campaign, but very few schools could even match up with the record and accomplishments of Pikeville and I don't think they will step back as far as some of you are thinking. 2015 was supposed to be "the year" and 2014 a little bit of a bridge year. Things fell into place and 2014 was a lot more than that for PHS. I expect a similar team to take the field in 2015. Maybe a little less depth, but you have some kids coming out that could really help the Panthers and some very talented to-be juniors stepping into roles they have been preparing for now for a few years.

PHS lost 5-6 very good players, but name a school that didn't. The things Cody Estep did on the field won't just simply be "replaced" so there is no point in focusing in on that area only. The group of seniors and juniors that PHS will field next season will be prepared to take the field. The seniors have had a ton of experience because they were thrown into the fire as freshmen. The juniors have had the luxury of waiting their turn and developing behind the scenes, which is why so many are not household names. This is the same group that had a stellar run in Jr. High/JV. Beating Hazard multiple times, Raceland, Paintsville (the year Paintsville went to the state finals), Shelby Valley twice, and they beat Belfry all three times, never even allowing the Pirates into the end zone in any of those games.

Now, granted this is not Jr. High and things do change, but the 2015 edition of the Panthers will not be a bunch of freshmen with no experience or accomplishments behind them. This is a group that has been well coached and knows what it takes to compete at a high level. That doesn't mean the Panthers will be the absolute number 2, 3, 4, etc... But I would caution those who would dismiss this team because of one loss that came at a disastrous time to a team that at that point in the season was as good as any Class A-AAA team in EKY outside of Belfry. People saw the original Pikeville/Paintsville score and dismissed the Tigers when in reality the team in November was lightyears ahead of the one in September.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter, and talking about it has me dying for July 15th to see football in Kentucky start up again. Should be a great year of debating football in EKY.
^ Pikeville will always lose talent year in and year out. I myself think they lost a lot from last year and I expect Pikeville to be down from last years standards. But with Pugh coming back they will be successful. But can Pugh stay healthy? He was a beast last season but it seems like he just has no luck and injuries happen. Who is going to play QB and Who are WRs?
NL with what they lost last year (not a lot) will be filling in with undefeated JV & Freshman teams. Next few years with their roster they should fair really well. I would have them at least #4.
1. Pulaski county
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Southwestern
5. Corbin
6. North Laurel
7. Shelby Valley
8. Knox Central
9. Painstville
10. Letcher County Central
11. Pikeville ( bonus )

:poker face:
64SUR Wrote:1. Pulaski county
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Southwestern
5. Corbin
6. North Laurel
7. Shelby Valley
8. Knox Central
9. Painstville
10. Letcher County Central
11. Pikeville ( bonus )

:poker face:

what no Williamsburg ! come on 64 don't be a fair weathered fan:igiveup:
Eagleland Wrote:How can you put belfry over johnson central. Last 2 years no game to it. Central returns 9 starters on D. Return QB, both small RBs plus FB. Lost half the line but have bench lineman that will play next season
Everyone except JC fans understands why JC beats Belfry occasionally. Let me explain it to you 1 more time, Belfry worries about state championships. This game is always the last game of the season, Belfry rests starters in order to be healthy for a playoff run. If you want to be thought of as in the same class as Belfry here are some tips, play a tough schedule, win some meaningful games, realize that some teams do throw the ball so you have to defend it also, and most importantly win a state championship.
Eagleland Wrote:How can you put belfry over johnson central. Last 2 years no game to it. Central returns 9 starters on D. Return QB, both small RBs plus FB. Lost half the line but have bench lineman that will play next season
Where was Johnson central during December???
skully03 Wrote:Where was Johnson central during December???

At the house watching the Belfry game where they shut them out for the first time in the regular season since 2003 and held their rushing attack to 100 yards. I do find it funny that people give JC a hard time considering they have played in the same region that produced 7 of the last 8 state champions in 4A and 5A, that includes one team that won almost 100 games in a row against instate teams and has been ranked nationally in the top 25 several of those years. I thought this thread was about the top 10 teams in the mountains not the top 10 teams based off of playoff performance? When you line them up in the regular season that speaks volumes, not when it is divided up by classifications. 3A mountain teams had the easier road the past several years but they play who they are required to play so people can't groan about it. This year 3A does gain Boyle and Lexington Catholic but they will be out west. Belfry will have two newcomers though, Corbin and Bell to add a little more competition. Personally I could care less where JC is in a fan poll. Hell I wish people wouldn't even rank them. I think everyone would trade in a top mountain ranking by fans for a state title any day of the week.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5