Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: American Dream: The Dusty Rhodes Story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I watched this for the first time tonight and a certain part didn't sit all that well with me.

When Dusty left WCW and went to WWF... he did the "common man" gimmick and did the whole polka dots thing and danced around with his manager Sapphire.

A handful of WWE employees said on the documentary that they thought that gimmick cheapened Dusty and it just wasn't the same as the old Dusty Rhodes.

What do you guys think?

That was when I was younger so that's how I first remember Rhodes. I still look back at that stuff and think it's great.

What do you guys think?
I first remember Dusty from his NWA days before the WWF. I always rooted against Dusty unless he was fighting one of the Russians yet I liked watching his matches. Looking back this tells me he was a great entertainer. I do like him now.

As far as his WWF days are concerned, yes I do think it cheapened him. Unfortunately, I felt Vince McMahon did this with a lot of my favorite wrestlers who went to his organization. In his efforts to put his stamp on them and up the entertainment value, he gave almost everyone a gimmick. Dusty didn't need a gimmick. He was great on the mic and in the ring. He could stand on his own.
I see a big difference in between the original Dusty Rhodes and the polka-dotted Dusty Rhodes, but I just think it showed a different side of the man.

Rhodes countered the arguments with... "That year-and-a-half was the biggest for my bank account".