Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mr. Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mr. Basketball has historically went to seniors only.

This year, a junior was a finalist for Mr. Football (Riley Hall from Pulaski County).

Is Mr. Basketball going to change as well?
Not yet, but I feel the winds of change beginning to blow on this subject.
This will be hard, I think it will be chosen and the Mt. fans will be disappointed.
Justice
I don't think a Junior should be eligible for Mr. Basketball, I think this year it will come down to Justice and Spalding.
I can safely say that the only change the committee for Mr. Basketball is entertaining is whether they begin voting after the State Champion is crowned.

For now, the answer to that is still no.
Will be the big kid from Trinity probably since he is signing with Louisville. But the guy that deserves it more than anyone is Cam Justice. Hope he wins it.
No juniors should be allowed. Justice will be Mr. Basketball.
I see nothing wrong with the way it is now.. Factoring in the state tournament is as bad as entertaining the idea of underclassmen in the discussion..
Tbh I think not factoring in the sweet 16 is a bad idea. Problem is people weighed it too much.
That's why the idea was parked for yet another season. People would romanticize the most recent performance in the tournament.

If it had played out that way -- Nick Ruthstatz might have been in the running. No offense to him, he's an amazing player. I'm just saying that one good Sweet 16 does not a Mr. Basketball make.
kaylamoore Wrote:That's why the idea was parked for yet another season. People would romanticize the most recent performance in the tournament.

If it had played out that way -- Nick Ruthstatz might have been in the running. No offense to him, he's an amazing player. I'm just saying that one good Sweet 16 does not a Mr. Basketball make.

Wow. I agree with you.
Should be delegated to seniors only.No reason to change it now.It will be Spaulding from Trinity more than likely.I think others like Justice deserve it but when was the last time a mountain kid got it?
Elisha Justice in 2010..
Heisenberg Effect Wrote:Should be delegated to seniors only.No reason to change it now.It will be Spaulding from Trinity more than likely.I think others like Justice deserve it but when was the last time a mountain kid got it?

Not that long ago. 2010. Elisha Justice.
How did I forget that? The Bullet was fun to watch for sure.....
No juniors ever considered
THOMCAT Wrote:Wow. I agree with you.

Now that's a first!
I like Cam Justice, but not sure where all of this "he deserves it" or "he will win it" is coming from. There are a lot of good players in this state who should be considered from Justice, Spaulding, Bolden, Matlock, etc. Could be a toss up really.
Motley Wrote:I like Cam Justice, but not sure where all of this "he deserves it" or "he will win it" is coming from. There are a lot of good players in this state who should be considered from Justice, Spaulding, Bolden, Matlock, etc. Could be a toss up really.

He will more than likely be the third all time leading scorer in the state of Kentucky! While playing on a team that could possibly go to its fourth straight state tournament. In my books "he deserves it"!
Justice numbers are to good not to be Mr. Basketball. He will be a good college player as well. Raymond Spalding will get lost on the bench at Louisville!!!!
He's in the top 20 on the all time scoring list.. Will be top 3 by the time they vote if he keeps his average up. That will play a factor in Mr basketball as well..
So is it all about career numbers now? What if a kid played on a team where his team didn't need him to score 20 a game as a freshman? That would put all the city players out immediately since they face more competition for playing time. I love Justice, but I'm just saying he doesn't deserve anything compared to the other players around the state. Just thinking of players like Rose at LCA, Jalen Perry, Drew Mcdonald, Dwayne Sutton. You guys need to watch some bball outside of the 14th.
I think it helps if you have good numbers and your team does well over the course of your career. When I was in 6th or 7th grade Mike Fields wrote a list of "Mr. Basketball Factors" for the Lexington Herald-Leader. I cut it out and put in up in my room back then. Here were the factors:

1. Statistics
2. Team Success
3. Exposure ("Sweet 16" and games across the state so others can watch you)
4. Health
5. College Choice
6. Where The Player Is From (he mentions Louisville, Lexington and Eastern Kentucky - where loyalty from coaches tend to make them vote for one of their own)
7. Coach

Do keep this in mind, out of Kentucky's top 30 all-time scorers (those over 3,000 points) only the following have been named Mr. Basketball:

"King" Kelly Coleman
Harry Todd
Charles Thomas
Ervin Stepp
J. R. VanHoose
Motley Wrote:So is it all about career numbers now? What if a kid played on a team where his team didn't need him to score 20 a game as a freshman? That would put all the city players out immediately since they face more competition for playing time. I love Justice, but I'm just saying he doesn't deserve anything compared to the other players around the state. Just thinking of players like Rose at LCA, Jalen Perry, Drew Mcdonald, Dwayne Sutton. You guys need to watch some bball outside of the 14th.

Have no desire to watch other teams.. Like UK,, them and only them.. It'll be between Cam and Spalding...
Motley Wrote:So is it all about career numbers now? What if a kid played on a team where his team didn't need him to score 20 a game as a freshman? That would put all the city players out immediately since they face more competition for playing time. I love Justice, but I'm just saying he doesn't deserve anything compared to the other players around the state. Just thinking of players like Rose at LCA, Jalen Perry, Drew Mcdonald, Dwayne Sutton. You guys need to watch some bball outside of the 14th.

To me career numbers and being on State Tournament teams is the only way to choose a Mr. Basketball. Any other way would just be subjective! In other words your saying " I watched ________ at _________ high school and he is the best player in the state, and he should be Mr. Basketball". If Ben Simmons transferd tomorrow to a school in Kentucky should he be Kentucky Mr. Basketball? He would be the best player in the state!
"I love Justice, but I'm just saying he doesn't deserve anything compared to the other players around the state. "Motley

Really? To ever use his name and doesn't deserve in the same sentence shows your basketball IQ.Mr. Justice deserves EVERY thing he receives! He will have scored over 3,500+ points putting him around 2nd or 3rd on the ALL TIME SCORING LIST(that in its self should make him Mr. Basketball) meaning that throughout the history of Kentucky HS basketball only 1 maybe 2 have scored more points in their career , 3 possibly 4 state tournament trips, 2 elite 8 trips, who knows how far this year, is a proven winner, a major D-1 scholarship, above all his Character, work ethic, and academics are impeccable, and last but not least he is an outstanding young man.
The players you mentioned above/and their accomplishments pale in comparison to those of Justice. If he doesn't receive Mr. Basketball it would be a tragedy.
Anyone who has ever spent time around this young man(a little or a lot) knows that he is a class act, works harder than any athlete I have ever saw and that is quite a few. Mr. Justice is plain and simple a WINNER!

Maybe you just need a little more 14th region basketball. Wink
Mr. & Ms. Basketball will both come from the mountains!!!
^That would be great for the area basketball teams and fans! Morris and Justice,I hope it is Justice and Maci Morris.Both are well deserving.
Pages: 1 2