Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Former Raceland Coach Bill Tom Ross Passes Away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://m.dailyindependent.com/news/mark-...l?mode=jqm
I have been working with kids in some capacity since graduating from college. I use his quotes every day. I never realized how much of an impact he had on me until many years after I left Raceland.
Bill Tom Ross was great coach.

As the article reads, when he was at JC... he did ride around at practice and games in the Gator.

Rest In Peace coach Ross. Prayers for his wife Brenda and the rest of his family.
Jarons Wrote:http://m.dailyindependent.com/news/mark-...l?mode=jqm
I have been working with kids in some capacity since graduating from college. I use his quotes every day. I never realized how much of an impact he had on me until many years after I left Raceland.

It happens like this a whole lot!!

Prayers for Coach Ross' family.
Rest Peacefully BTR. Never had him as a coach, but I onow he was a huge part of Raceland football and a big part of my former coaches lives. Great coach and a great man.
Prayers for the Ross family from Williamsburg nations.
RIP Coach Ross
Some of the stuff he pulled against Cooksey's Fairview squads in the late 80s was epic! Coaches wouldnt dream/dare doing some of it! Wasnt a shy coach by any means.
He was a really good coach and an even better person. I had the pleasure of getting to know him a bit through work and he would have some great stories to tell from his coaching days. Class act and he will be missed. God bless his family.
I played against his teams at Raceland back in the day. I heard him speak at a conference in Cincinnati and he was a delight. I bought his book and still have it. Very saddening to learn of his passing.
Played against his Raceland teams in the '80's. They were always a challenge to say the very least. Played fast and hard, would definitely put a hat on you, and always threw some formation or play at you that you had never seen. Much respect. R.I.P. Coach.
Many have said he punted when he should have went for it, went for it when he should have punted, half back passes, reverses out of special teams formations, very unconventional, but his gap cotrol defense was hard to run against. Would have loved to play for a coach like him. Cant immagine a HS coach today, doing some of the off the field (and on) anticks he pulled back in the day. The man lived and breathed football and loved to be around and teach the kids. Not just a great coach, but a great man.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Many have said he punted when he should have went for it, went for it when he should have punted, half back passes, reverses out of special teams formations, very unconventional, but his gap cotrol defense was hard to run against. Would have loved to play for a coach like him. Cant immagine a HS coach today, doing some of the off the field (and on) anticks he pulled back in the day. The man lived and breathed football and loved to be around and teach the kids. Not just a great coach, but a great man.

And you left out the quick kicks at anytime
I remember one time we went for it on a 4th and 40. I remember thinking about how crazy he was going for it, and we ended up getting the first down.
My favorite was the shifts. The defense would jump every time.
He was like a riverboat gambler during a game
Rip !!!!1
Jarons Wrote:And you left out the quick kicks at anytime
I remember one time we went for it on a 4th and 40. I remember thinking about how crazy he was going for it, and we ended up getting the first down.
My favorite was the shifts. The defense would jump every time.
He was like a riverboat gambler during a game

Lol those quick kicks were something else. He played "old school football" at a level that u may have thought his playbook came from the 1940s lol. Those shifts were fun. Never played under him but we used his defense up through my freshman year of HS.
Remember Coach Ross in the 1989 PCB when the Rams came to town. Was impressed with his coaching, and he had a good team that season. Prayers for his family.
Thise were some good Pikeville years as well Five.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Thise were some good Pikeville years as well Five.

Scotty, I remember a running back on that 89' team that was real good. Can't remember his first name, but his last name was Burnett? I do remember though, he was a down hill runner, and very hard to bring down.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Scotty, I remember a running back on that 89' team that was real good. Can't remember his first name, but his last name was Burnett? I do remember though, he was a down hill runner, and very hard to bring down.

If you're talking about Raceland, the half backs on the 89 team were Matt Bostick and Buck McCloud. The fullback was Shannon McCoy. The runner that you are describing sounds like Matt Bostick, who was a junior that season.
Yes Jarons , now that you mentioned those names, it's coming back. Bostic being in the backfield, and McCloud being a good sized lineman. Was there ever a Burnett, or Burdett kid on that team that season? Could be another team i'm thinking of
Big Five-0- Wrote:Yes Jarons , now that you mentioned those names, it's coming back. Bostic being in the backfield, and McCloud being a good sized lineman. Was there ever a Burnett, or Burdett kid on that team that season? Could be another team i'm thinking of

Disregard the previous post. I understand that Matt Bostic and Buck McCloud were the rbs, and McCoy the fb. There was however, a lineman probably the largest man on the line that was real good as well. Can't recall his name. He may have made all state that season, not sure.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Disregard the previous post. I understand that Matt Bostic and Buck McCloud were the rbs, and McCoy the fb. There was however, a lineman probably the largest man on the line that was real good as well. Can't recall his name. He may have made all state that season, not sure.

Sounds like that you are talking about Brian McCloud. He went on to play at Thomas Moore. Last I heard, he was a judge in Greenup Co.
Jarons Wrote:Sounds like that you are talking about Brian McCloud. He went on to play at Thomas Moore. Last I heard, he was a judge in Greenup Co.

That's it exactly. I thought his last name was McCloud. Good to see a young man like that better himself for the future. Thanks.
Brian is a judge in Greenup Co. He was a very good lineman for the rams and is just one of many success stories from guys who played for BTR. He was a very mobile, but BIG lineman. Especially for a small NEKY school in KY, let alone in the 80s. He still aint no little feller!lol
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Brian is a judge in Greenup Co. He was a very good lineman for the rams and is just one of many success stories from guys who played for BTR. He was a very mobile, but BIG lineman. Especially for a small NEKY school in KY, let alone in the 80s. He still aint no little feller!lol

Yeah, that's what I noticed back then Scottie. Very mobile for his size. Coaches look for qualities like this in potential players.
If im not mistaken he had offers from several bigger colleges, but chose the smaller Thomas Moore. Raceland HC Mike Salmons also had a good career there.