Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Offseason Topics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the 2014 season being one of best in recent years for many teams and imo, across the state, this isnt a team thread, nor is it a class or district thread. Something popped in my head a bit ago so I thought I would see what everyone else thought about it.

With the 190 or so teams in the state and all of the talk about where the championship games should or shouldnt be played, would it be a possibility that the KHSAA develop some sort of plan to build a, truly and 100% Centralized Atheletic complex somewhere in the state? What would be the center most point (that allowed for hotels, places to eat, shopping, etc...thigs that draw people to come to events OUTSIDE of the original reason, being a game itself )?

I thought about this, and I know it may sound insane or out of the rhelm of reason. What if each school donated a percentage of their proceeds in each seasons events over the course of say, 5-10 years?

For example (and this is all fictional estimations of course, but i feel are probably relative atleast for the sake of this thread):
Say the average attendance in 96 games (192 total teams) HS football is 300 tickets/game. At $5.00/ticket in one week alone, is 144,000 dollars made in one week of HS football. If each school donate only 5% of that over the course of 10 regular season games, would it be enough to break ground on a facility? If the funds were raised for 5 or so years?

Add in other events, baseball, basketball, wrestling, swimming , track and field, all of it. Surely there would be away for the entire state to lend a hand and develop the RIHERDS Atheletic complex or something that would house eah and every atheletic state championship event? I know that its a long shot, but I figure we are closer to that happening than any of the major professional sports markets developing a team in our state.

Whats everyone's thoughts?
I would say the most centralized place in the state with the best shopping and hotels would be Lexington. As far as the idea I'm not sure how realistic it is. What you are describing is a multi, multi million dollar facility. Build a facility that expensive for each sport in the state to use once a year? I don't see it happening. Cool thread topic though.
I think its atleast in the rhelm of possiblity. A facility built, for high schools, by high schools. House every state championship game. All "A" tournaments, heck they can rent it out for other reasons. Its all just talk though. Feel free to post whatever about whatever. Just thought id open a forum for general discussions. Seems like all other threads get hijacked at one point or another and stray incredibly far from topic lol.
I always thought it was cooler playing in Papa Johns. That college atmosphere just made the state championship something else.
I agree with the Poppa Johns statement. I just think it would be cool to have a facility that would allow us to create that same type of atmosphere. Enough seating to hold the average attendance from year to year plus 100 seats or so. Create the opportunity for a packed house. I know a bg gripe w louisville or commonwealth was it seeming so empty. Even with 7000 ppl there.
I watch the Ohio championship games on tv almost every year. Prior to this year, Canton and Massillon had been the hosts for those games for about 25 years. Those two venues were awesome for high school football. You could feel the electricity in the stadiums from your own couch. This year they moved to the horseshoe in Columbus and it didn't quite feel the same to me. Noticeable difference between 100,000+ capacity and 10-15,000 capacity, even on television.

I rarely hear anyone fondly reference the old Cardinal Stadium, despite decades of memorable games and performances on that glorious hunk of concrete..... uh.... I mean turf.

Scotty, I love your idea and I've fantasized about it myself. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it would be a hard sell to the people you'd have to sell it to.
I think that is a terrific idea, but not realistic. Many of the high schools fund their "non-revenue" sports with the proceeds from football and basketball. Plus a lot of schools spend pretty much all their money from year to year and with the decrease in state funding there is just not that much loose change floating around.
Imo, the hardest part would be getting everyone in the state to agree to doing it. Especially schools like the Fultons, Phelps, and other small schools who do well enough to fund the program. 300 bux/season really wouldnt be to big of a hit to some of the more historic or "known" programs. Ie: Super District, BG, FTH, Central, Belfrey...Mfield, BW, Raceland etc. Schools that traditionally, good or bad, always have a great following. Its fun to think about though.

Since its a general forum and i have stated it a million times and not once have i got a response, so here it is.

How can the KHSAA set up each class, so that everyone makes the playoffs, except any team that finishes last in a 5, 6, or 7 team district? Ie: District 6 has 3 teams, district 8 has 5 teams, so the 5th place team from District 8 plays as the 4th seed from district 6. BUT HOLD THE PHONE, the 5th place team from district 2 does not make the playoffs.

And dont get me started on 6A's fiasco of jumbled up playoff scenarios.

Isnt all this merit for saying Win your district and your in or atleast say only the top 2 make it? idc how many teams are in the playoffs. I just dont get why its different for that one lonely team in 1A district 2 and why the 6A playoffs are so freaking messed up.
Good post SB. I have wondered for years why the KHSAA has not made this type of commitment. I believe we absolutely need a sports complex located in Lexington. Why cant we have a football/soccer/baseball stadium that seated 15,000 fans? Why cant we have an indoor basketball arena suited for holding the All "A", and Sweet Sixteen? Can you imagine the invitations that could be handed out if the KHSAA hosted a East vs West or North vs South Turf battle? Highlands vs Bowling Green or NCC vs Mayfiled, or how about Belfry vs Beechwood...the possibilities are endless! I mean think about the marquee matchups football fans across the state could enjoy? What a great Fall weekend that could be held in one location. Id love to see the lousiville schools vs the greater Cincy schools every year and some play anyway, why not bring it to the KHSAA Sports Complex? I love the idea and would certainly support any such proposal. There is money out there somewhere for such a venture. It would be great for high school sports.
A friend of mine and I have always joked around at work that if we hit the lottery we would create something like this.
Sounds like something me and my buddies would discuss. I have zero clue how much money it would cost so i would never even speculate, but you would think that the city of Lexington would be willing to partner-up with the KHSAA in a project such as this. Can you imagine the dollars it would bring to the city and area businesses? I dont know if any other athletic organizations nation-wide have anything like this, but it would be a feather in our cap for sure. With sporting events being held all year long, such a facility would never be empty. Probably could even make a bid for the NAIA National Tournament site someday? Well the probabilty of this is likely zilch, but it is something to dream about for the future.
I agree. I think its completely possible and could be use for alot more than HS sports. Id love to see somethin like this happen.
very interesting.