Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What AA player can make it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What AA player can make it to the next level,being A ball or other...who is going where.
I am willing to bet that the Collins kid from Western will go somewhere, of Belfry's seniors this season I don't think you will see any big offers.
Russell has a few too choose from Clark being top dog. Belfry has a few as well as Western...Mercer's tough as a team but what do they have individual.
Collins
Clark From Russell...
CLARK to a big school- WVU,Cincy, Illinois and even Arkansas has recruited him. Sizemore to small school because he has the height, alot of other kids can go to other schools but need to promotion to do it, small schools like Pikeville, KCU and such.. Alot of talent on this team but of course all you hear about is Clark
Josh Wills will likely go to a small school somewhere.
True. Josh Plays Bigger Than He Actually Is And Has A Good Chance..
Wes Woods from Prestonsburg.
Devilologist Wrote:CLARK to a big school- WVU,Cincy, Illinois and even Arkansas has recruited him. Sizemore to small school because he has the height, alot of other kids can go to other schools but need to promotion to do it, small schools like Pikeville, KCU and such.. Alot of talent on this team but of course all you hear about is Clark

Just wondering if they want Clark for offense or defense?..And where do you think he may be going?
For Mercer Co.Cory Jackson, Brandon Ford and Donald Walker on Offense and on Defense Chris Lewis, Freeman Edwards,Nick Reed and DeMarkus Masterson have a real shot at playing at the next level.
:Thumbs:
I don't see any from Belfry going anywhere... Chapman maybe to PC?..
I think Chad Steele could be a blocking TE at a NAIA school. Chapman could probably play CB at the NAIA level.

Next season, I think Dustin May will at least get some looks from EKU and other D 1AA schools. Perhaps better if he really works on himself, has a great year, and markets himself well.
LovetheBucs Wrote:I think Chad Steele could be a blocking TE at a NAIA school. Chapman could probably play CB at the NAIA level.

Next season, I think Dustin May will at least get some looks from EKU and other D 1AA schools. Perhaps better if he really works on himself, has a great year, and markets himself well.
Agree.. Dustin has unbelievable size and decent speed. He will be recruited for defense I have a feeling.

Out of the Sophomore class... Ivan Lee definately could have the potential with his size and speed to get looks eventually... if that boy focuses himself in the weight room he will be a monster!

If Elkins can grow a couple inches and put on some muscle..the skies the limit for him as well. He has the potential to be one of the best option QB's to come out of Belfry if he really pushes himself.
I don't think Chad has the talent to make it to the next level.. Don't get me wrong, I like Chad, hes a good kid.. Hes got decent size, but I don't think he has the athletism, nor the quickness... Hes a decent high school level TE..

May as of right now could make a run at a small college... He still need to bulk up some more, and work on footwork.. If only he were a soph.. I think if he had two more years, he could turn alot of heads... But I don't see him getting looks from any NCAA schools right now... granted he can develope some more this post season, and all of next.. who knows what can happen..

I think the kid to watch out for, IF, and I stress IF, he hits the weights hard, and puts everything into being all he can be... He has great size.. If he developes his game, and becomes a leader, then he could be a hoss

The thing about this Belfry team is, its a team of good players... theres no stand outs like some of Belfry teams of the past.. But as an overall team, they are good, these players play hard and play well together..
I was told that Dustin May was at the UK/Georgia game on "kinda" a recruiting visit.

This is VERY suspect info, but I did hear it. I agree that May will have to work like an animal to get to that level, but he went from 202 lbs as a Soph to 220 lbs as a JR and appeared to improve. May is 6'2" and still growing. Although I agree that he has a lot of work to do, if he comes in next season at 230 or so, grows another inch, improves his speed/agility, I think he would be a nice kid for a program like UK to take a chance on.

Brooks could take comfort in knowing that Belfry players are well coached and will listen and work hard. If May REALLY gets after it and improves, I could see the kid being a nice player (after a reshirt year) at UK at the linebacker position.

There is more to football than numbers. May has pretty good speed numbers now. If he works hard this offseason, improves his speed, strength, and grows a bit, I think he could be a good college player. Ultimately, his fate rests on his "campaigners!" May's father, Coach Haywood and others need to be actively pushing the young man to D1 coaches.

He has the intangibles. Its up to him and a coach who is willing to buy into a kid to determine his ultimate fate. IF he works hard and continues to improve his ability, I think May could at least play in the MAC or C-USA.

I realize I just brought up a lot of "ifs" Ultimately, it will hinge on Dustin and those who are pushing him.
I understand what you are saying.. and that very well is a possibilty..

But IMHO, I don't think hes the player Doug Howard was, and I'm not sure he will develope to be... Not saying that it won't, or couldn't.. just that at this point, and the rate hes going..

I don't understand how Doug never got the chance to play at D1 school... I thought for sure he would get some offers... And thats what makes me think about this situation... If Howard didn't get the offers, I don't see May getting them either.. Rolleyes
Look. I agree about Howard.

BUT

May has height and good size. It will take a lot of work on his part, but at least he has the size colleges are looking for.

We will see.. I think its a longshot for D-1A, but I think EKU, Murray State, etc are realistic assuming those who care about the young man do their job and market him correctly.

He should be in EVERY camp going this offseason, even if it means forgoing basketball and baseball.
I see May's best potential as an Outside Linebacker in college. I would venture to say he is in the 4.7-4.8 range right now on his 40... to get decent looks he needs to be between 4.5-4.7

He does a decent job of tackling but he will have to improve two qualities... 1) Lower Pad Level 2) Pass Coverage

By lowering his pad level it will allow him to shed blocks better as well as tackle the larger/stronger RB's.

Pass Coverage will need alot of work as it is one of the biggest responsibilities for an outside linebacker.
mrfootball03 Wrote:I understand what you are saying.. and that very well is a possibilty..

But IMHO, I don't think hes the player Doug Howard was, and I'm not sure he will develope to be... Not saying that it won't, or couldn't.. just that at this point, and the rate hes going..

I don't understand how Doug never got the chance to play at D1 school... I thought for sure he would get some offers... And thats what makes me think about this situation... If Howard didn't get the offers, I don't see May getting them either.. Rolleyes
I hope noone takes this wrong way but,

Doug had three things against him..
1) Most Importantly His Height and Weight
2) His Position
3) His Race

Doug got some looks as a safety, but ultimately his position was going to have to be running back. Unless the kid is a genetic freak or just an absolute monster (IE Fullback or a back similar to Leonard from Rutgers) Caucasion halfbacks are rarely recruited.
For my mone Doug is the best football player to ever come from Belfry and was considerably a better RB than Jones... but he didn't have the size and speed to pass the D-1 screening process. (Which is a shame because if that kid had the opportunity somehwere he would still be playing football and would be contributing somewhere)
Agree again.

If I am not mistaken, Dustin is a relatively young JR. We are dealing with a kid who was NOT held back here. He went from 185, to 202, to 220. Assuming an excellent offseason, I think he will have to get some looks.

As I said before, it all depends on many factors. He is not a blinding talent that will just garner attention, but he has played very well for two years now. It will take a supreme effort from both HIM and his supporters. If he works his tail off, gets in EVERY camp/showcase between now and next year, and has a great season next year, I think he has a shot.

It will ultimately take a good recruiter to take a chance on him. I don't personally know the kid. He might not "have what it takes", but I assuming he does, he has one thing going for him that Howard did not. He isn't 5'8"!

I want nothing more to see the kid succeed. I also think there is something to be said about the power of "getting a name out there"

We will see. I have enjoyed watching him regardless.
I have a feeling he will be moved to HB next season and that will help benefit him as well..
Perhaps.. I think his "potential" future is a LB or FB.

BTW, I think Doug Howard is the best football player to ever wear a Pirate uniform.
I agree about Dustin, Doug and most everybody you guys have brought up with the exception of one area. That being the position Dustin has the best chance of playing at a high level.

To me, he has prototypical size and average speed to play the DE position on Saturday. As most of you have said, he is still growing, and at college he will get bigger, stronger, and probably a little faster. That just screams pass rusher, in my honest opinion.
LovetheBucs Wrote:Perhaps.. I think his "potential" future is a LB or FB.

BTW, I think Doug Howard is the best football player to ever wear a Pirate uniform.
I'll take it a step further and say that Dustin's ONLY major college potential is either LB or S... it's just a year at HB will allow him to make more highlight real plays and give him more opportunities for huge games. This will equate to added exposure. By the time he leaves Belfry, Dustin will have had 3 consecutive 1000 yard seasons... not too shabby. He also could use a couple state titles to gather some attention!
BoondockSaint Wrote:I agree about Dustin, Doug and most everybody you guys have brought up with the exception of one area. That being the position Dustin has the best chance of playing at a high level.

To me, he has prototypical size and average speed to play the DE position on Saturday. As most of you have said, he is still growing, and at college he will get bigger, stronger, and probably a little faster. That just screams pass rusher, in my honest opinion.
Depends which level? For him to play D-1 he needs to bulk up to around 240+ to get any looks...at that... it will be for a position he has never played. There is a HUGE difference between playing out of stance and playing with your fingers down.
Of course..

What he needs most is exposure. It will be up to him. EVERY camp that accepts players and at which scouts will be present should have Mr. May on the roster.

After that, we will see what happens.

I just know how excited I get everytime David Jones gets in the game or makes a play for UK, and I think every Belfry fan wants to be able to cheer on another of their boys at the next level.
Unfortunately, seeing that it is 2006, I have to agree with Orisonspi's comment about the "race factor"

It IS difficult for a caucasion player, especially from a rural school, to get the exposure from big time college football. I don't think its fundamentally unfair, but in limited circumstances it does unfortunately have a negative effect IMO.
LovetheBucs Wrote:Of course..

What he needs most is exposure. It will be up to him. EVERY camp that accepts players and at which scouts will be present should have Mr. May on the roster.

After that, we will see what happens.

I just know how excited I get everytime David Jones gets in the game or makes a play for UK, and I think every Belfry fan wants to be able to cheer on another of their boys at the next level.
:Thumbs:
Sadly, over the years we have had a considerable ammount of kids who we SHOULD have had the opportunity to cheer on and never got it...
True...

And others who have had a chance to play (albeit not at TV level) haven't lived up to their end of the bargain.

I just hope all of my praise of Mr. May is not in vain.

In the end, the young man has to WANT it.
Pages: 1 2