Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Alex Poythress Tears ACL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LEXINGTON, Ky (WKYT) - WKYT sports has learned that University of Kentucky junior forward Alex Poythress has as a torn ACL.

Poythress, a from Clarksville, Tenn. native, injured his knee Thursday at practice. WKYT later confirmed the injury is a torn ACL.

Poythress has started eight games and is averaging 5.5 points, 3.8 rebounds in 20 minutes a contest for the top-ranked and undefeated Wildcats. He is leading UK at the free-throw line shooting at an 86 percent clip.

UK coach John Calipari will hold his regularly scheduled press conference Friday at 2 p.m. WKYT will have more information when it becomes available.

http://Www.wymt tv.com
Terrible... #PrayforPoythress http://wp.me/p4fBMK-1gD
I know a lot of people won't act like this is a big deal, but he brought a lot of energy and incredible defense to the team. Question now is, will Lyles step up and take his place or will Cal start Ullis with the 2 Harrisons? I'd assume that Willis will move into Lyles' current spot and Lyles will move up to Poythress' spot.
That sucks for him, hope for a speedy recovery!
Great kid and definitely a bad injury for him. He however could take a medical redshirt but don't know if he will or not. If I was Cal and I'm not I would put Willis in Alex's spot and leave Lyles on the white platoon.
Really hate it for him. He will be missed brings some much to the court when he has the right mind set. When he is on he is just unstoppable.
I agree we're going to miss his energy.
5.8 points and 3.0 rebounds this season.
Can't really look at that stat because his defense is great.
Terrible news!

But I think it ensures that he'll be returning next season.
I guess you have to look at the positive out this huge negative. This will give guys like Dominique Hawkins (A Kentucky kid) an opportunity to play more.

The presence that Poythress gives will be missed, I hope someone can step into his place.
Well hopefully he returns for another year. I have a feeling next year we will need all the help we can get.
Ballers Wrote:Well hopefully he returns for another year. I have a feeling next year we will need all the help we can get.

IMO that is likely given that he will have to miss a lot of the pre-draft workouts, and his stock will likely drop due to the injury. Have you (or anyone else) seen anything about Calipari using a medical redshirt on Poythress for this year? I would think that is possible given that the injury happened early in the season.