Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Greenup Co. 72 Russell 49
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greenup Co. 72 Russell 49 Final
Good win for Greenup
Matthew Sparks / For The Independent The Independent Online LLOYD With star forward Jair Jackson on the bench in the second quarter with two fouls, Greenup County put their depth on display during a 30-point period.
The Musketeers placed five players in double figures in their 72-49 victory over Russell on Friday in a 63rd District game at the Greenhouse.

Gage Hughes had 16 points to lead the Musketeers. He also tallied six rebounds and was active on the defensive end with six steals.
Austin Grooms added 11 points and seven boards, and Shauntavin Martin played big minutes with Jackson in foul trouble. He finished with 10 points and pulled down four off the glass.
"That is one thing we have really been building on, is our depth on the bench," Greenup County coach Harold Tackett said. "I have no issues whatsoever pulling someone off the bench."
Christian Wireman and Nick Lester provided a spark off the bench. Wireman, who didn't have a field goal in Greenup County's season opener Tuesday night, came out firing with four 3-pointers.
“He always has the green light," Tackett said. "I tell him the first time he passes one up he is coming out."
Lester also had the shooting touch, hitting five buckets on seven attempts for 11 points. He even banked in a long ball near the corner in the second period.
"Nick is one of those players that can do that," Tackett said. "He understands his role on this team. He comes off the bench and brings a really good spark for us. He is real athletic and plays hard."
Greenup County (1-1) opened up a close game with a 20-4 run that started near the end of the first period and spilled over into the second.

Jackson picked up his second foul with 6:30 left in the second stanza, but, with a balanced effort, the Musketeers outscored the Red Devils 28-10 to take a commanding 44-19 lead into halftime.

Jackson finished with eight points and seven rebounds.

"Their role players played really well," Russell coach Merle Kidwell said. "If you told me that Jair had eight and Martin had 10, I would have thought we would be in the game. Lester, Grooms, and we knew Wireman could shoot. They really hurt us and that was our game plan.

"Their physical strength showed against our guards. At the end of the first quarter, I thought we were in pretty good shape, but the second quarter was just a disaster. I thought coach Tackett made a really good move. He saw that we weren't guarding Jherrell and he put another shooter in."

Russell (0-2) played a much better second half, only committing two turnovers after giving it up 12 times in the first. Tanner Miller had 14 points and Ryan Stump had 10 points and seven rebounds.

Ethan Raby added eight points with a couple of 3-pointers after not playing in the Red Devils' season opener Monday with a wrist injury.

"He's OK, but we just have to find ways to get Ethan shots," Kidwell said. "We turned it over so much but I thought in the second half Tanner started making some shots. Bobby Hale and Ryan Stump are true freshmen. ... I thought Daulton Duvall gave us some good minutes late in the game."
As opposed to what other kind of freshmen in highschool?