Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is Mark Stoops a good Football Coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Things have got ugly for Kentucky and coach Stoops! Stoops came to Kentucky with Defensive background but the defensive unit he is putting on the field the last month of the season has been terrible. I am not sure Stoops is a good coach. His team makes too many stupid mistakes and has failed to improve. I want to hear what you guys think of Stoops. IMO Stoops is a long way from being a good football coach! Did Kentucky make the same mistake twice by hiring another coach that lacked head coaching experience?
I think the verdict is still out on the coaching.

One things for sure, he sure as hell didn't deserve a raise.

His one hope is landing great recruiting classes. If he continues to have kids decommit and head to Ohio State and other places, and then cant even keep the home state kid home in Harris then I say hes done. If he doesn't have the best UK recruiting class of all time next year, we might as well write him off as another Joker and start looking for another coach.
I think he is a good coach and just needs a bit of time to get it all together. Remember, he is not following up a good coach like Joker did, he is pretty much trying to clean up the mess Joker left and build a good program too. With the recruiting classes he has put together and the ones he has coming in, I believe that he will get the job done and by next season he will start a trend of being in a bowl game year in and year out. It takes much longer to build a football team than a basketball team, takes a lot more players to do that and it is especially hard in the best conference in America. I really think that by year four we will be seeing 7 and 8 win seasons every year and the occasional 9 win season. It is just year two and some fans are just being way too critical of a guy who has got this program in the right direction and didn't have a lot to work with when he came to UK.
Yesterday their D quit on the team. That was some of the worst tackling I have ever seen. UK can't stop the run or the pass and showed no heart or passion. Next year 8 home games 3rd season under Stoops he has got to show a BIG improvement. Offense is young but needs an identity not the wildcat. If I was Stoops the 2 programs I would study and try and emulate are Puke and Kansas St. Those 2 teams and coaches play way above their talent level.
Kick a dog while he is down. This is the kind of crap that we don't need.
Jury is still out. Has only been a head coach 2 seasons. Next year will determine if he is good head coach or not.
He definitely did not deserve an extension after 1 season
UKisN1 Wrote:Kick a dog while he is down. This is the kind of crap that we don't need.

Stoops is getting paid Millions of dollars to do a JOB and he is not getting it done! My nephew is in the Middle East making $750 every 2 weeks risking his life for his COUNTRY and he is not getting any raises! I can give the defensive performance against UGA a pass because they are good, but when a BAD UT team hangs 50 on them I have got to wonder WTF is happening! The Stoops D couldn't tackle my sister!
I think kentucky is on the right track in my opinion. 13 interceptions on the year with 24 sacks to go along with those. Kentucky's problem is inconsistency, which comes with inexperienced players. Towles in my mind will be a great qb for us in the next few years. I've yet to see any of the new recruits, however with another great recruiting class and we will again improve. Lets not forget we play in the toughest football conference in college football. We play teams loaded with the best talent around. Not saying thats any excuse. But you can't build an sec contender in 2 years. Again this isnt the acc,big east, pac 10, etc. This is the sec. So that being said I've seen a kentucky team that people are hesistant to play. This year despite the blowout losses, we were taken forreal. and we can only improve next year.
Guys, come on! I'm not a UK fan, but please, this program is two years away from having a MAC roster! Lack of depth against an SEC schedule is killing them. Wait for at least two more recruiting classes before passing judgement.
Yes he is.

Coming into the season a lot of people said that Kentucky wouldn't win but 2-3 games and they were 5-1 before a 4 game skid. He defeated a South Carolina team that no one said would happen. He also took Florida to 3 OT's before losing. When was the last time Kentucky beat Florida or even came close to beating the Gators? Especially on their own home field
Strikeout King Wrote:Yes he is.

Coming into the season a lot of people said that Kentucky wouldn't win but 2-3 games and they were 5-1 before a 4 game skid. He defeated a South Carolina team that no one said would happen. He also took Florida to 3 OT's before losing. When was the last time Kentucky beat Florida or even came close to beating the Gators? Especially on their own home field

Against a cupcake schedule.
Jarons Wrote:Against a cupcake schedule.

You do realize that this schedule was set before he got here right?
Strikeout King Wrote:You do realize that this schedule was set before he got here right?

I am sure it was. The cupcake nonconference schedule is why UK will never be a contender in the SEC. They schedule a bunch of nobodies and get nothing but hollow victories that does not prepare them for anything that will prepare them for conference play and gives the players and fans a bunch of false hopes that they will be good enough to earn a berth in a toilet bowl against another team with six wins that does not need to be in a bowl game.
If Stoops is the great, bold coach that everyone says and hopes he is, why not upgrade the nonconference schedule even have a nonconference road game the seasons they play UofL at home. Playing Direction University is not getting it done.
Jarons Wrote:I am sure it was. The cupcake nonconference schedule is why UK will never be a contender in the SEC. They schedule a bunch of nobodies and get nothing but hollow victories that does not prepare them for anything that will prepare them for conference play and gives the players and fans a bunch of false hopes that they will be good enough to earn a berth in a toilet bowl against another team with six wins that does not need to be in a bowl game.
If Stoops is the great, bold coach that everyone says and hopes he is, why not upgrade the nonconference schedule even have a nonconference road game the seasons they play UofL at home. Playing Direction University is not getting it done.

I agree that they should be playing a better schedule. Hopefully 2015 is a better one and an even better one in 2016.
Jarons Wrote:I am sure it was. The cupcake nonconference schedule is why UK will never be a contender in the SEC. They schedule a bunch of nobodies and get nothing but hollow victories that does not prepare them for anything that will prepare them for conference play and gives the players and fans a bunch of false hopes that they will be good enough to earn a berth in a toilet bowl against another team with six wins that does not need to be in a bowl game.

UAB, Southern Miss, South Alabama, and UT Martin. That's Mississipi State's non conference schedule this year. Could certainly be argued that Cats out of conference schedule is tougher because of a solid Ohio program and the UofL game.
Strikeout King Wrote:I agree that they should be playing a better schedule. Hopefully 2015 is a better one and an even better one in 2016.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/sec/2...hedule.php

That's the 2015 schedule.
probably a descent coach,but you have to get the thoroughbred players.these players goes to other schools.ky gets the basketball thoroughbeds.
Greatness Wrote:I think kentucky is on the right track in my opinion. 13 interceptions on the year with 24 sacks to go along with those. Kentucky's problem is inconsistency, which comes with inexperienced players. Towles in my mind will be a great qb for us in the next few years. I've yet to see any of the new recruits, however with another great recruiting class and we will again improve. Lets not forget we play in the toughest football conference in college football. We play teams loaded with the best talent around. Not saying thats any excuse. But you can't build an sec contender in 2 years. Again this isnt the acc,big east, pac 10, etc. This is the sec. So that being said I've seen a kentucky team that people are hesistant to play. This year despite the blowout losses, we were taken forreal. and we can only improve next year.

How many of those INT's and Sacks came against SEC teams?

And I don't understand this talk of you cant win in the SEC in two year.
THE SEC EAST IS HORRIBLE.

Kentucky actually has better players than UT, Mizzou, and Florida right now minus our cream puff offensive line. Those losses were ALL coaching, nothing else.
Soft SOS? My goodness, you are playing an 8 game SEC schedule, if anything, if you are a team that lacks depth, like UK, you SHOULD schedule some cupcakes. Especially in the middle of the SEC schedule. Bodies can't take that kind of pounding week in and week out.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:How many of those INT's and Sacks came against SEC teams?

And I don't understand this talk of you cant win in the SEC in two year.
THE SEC EAST IS HORRIBLE.

Kentucky actually has better players than UT, Mizzou, and Florida right now minus our cream puff offensive line. Those losses were ALL coaching, nothing else.

Really? Kentucky doesn't have better players than any of those teams you mentioned right now. Florida has had 4 straight top 12 recruiting classes. Tennessee just had the 5th ranked recruiting class last season and top 20 consistently. And other than the last year or 2 Mizzou has had better recruiting classes meaning their junior/senior classes are much more developed/better.

Ridiculous to put it all on coaching when UK's only 2 decent recruiting classes are still freshmen/sophomores.
Pick6 Wrote:Soft SOS? My goodness, you are playing an 8 game SEC schedule, if anything, if you are a team that lacks depth, like UK, you SHOULD schedule some cupcakes. Especially in the middle of the SEC schedule. Bodies can't take that kind of pounding week in and week out.

Agreed. The majority of SEC teams don't have difficult OOC schedules. There's a reason for that.
BARNHEAD will give him another raise.
alfus21 Wrote:Really? Kentucky doesn't have better players than any of those teams you mentioned right now. Florida has had 4 straight top 12 recruiting classes. Tennessee just had the 5th ranked recruiting class last season and top 20 consistently. And other than the last year or 2 Mizzou has had better recruiting classes meaning their junior/senior classes are much more developed/better.

Ridiculous to put it all on coaching when UK's only 2 decent recruiting classes are still freshmen/sophomores.

Are you kidding?

Those top 10 recruiting classes aren't playing yet. Most of them are redshirting.

Mizzou, TN, and Florida is horrible. Say what you want to make yourself feel better, but those teams suck. UK has better skill guys than those schools.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Are you kidding?

Those top 10 recruiting classes aren't playing yet. Most of them are redshirting.

Mizzou, TN, and Florida is horrible. Say what you want to make yourself feel better, but those teams suck. UK has better skill guys than those schools.

So all of Florida's top 12 recruiting classes from the last 5 years are all currently redshirting? Interesting.

Also interesting is that Tennessee's RB (Hurd) was a 5 star recruit out of high school last year, and Dobbs (QB) was part of their 2013 class ranked 8 spots higher than Kentucky. Neither currently redshirting.

We have good skills players, but rankings argue otherwise against what you're saying. I'm not stating opinions here. Other SEC schools have better players right now, and for the most part older players.

Those teams may "suck" but they have good players across the board. Including skills players.
alfus21 Wrote:Really? Kentucky doesn't have better players than any of those teams you mentioned right now. Florida has had 4 straight top 12 recruiting classes. Tennessee just had the 5th ranked recruiting class last season and top 20 consistently. And other than the last year or 2 Mizzou has had better recruiting classes meaning their junior/senior classes are much more developed/better.

Dude have you been watching the games? Stoop's D looks like a lost ball is high weeds! Dude Joker won 5 games his 2nd year too but Joker never had a D give up 60 points!
Greatness Wrote:I think kentucky is on the right track in my opinion. 13 interceptions on the year with 24 sacks to go along with those. Kentucky's problem is inconsistency, which comes with inexperienced players. Towles in my mind will be a great qb for us in the next few years. I've yet to see any of the new recruits, however with another great recruiting class and we will again improve. Lets not forget we play in the toughest football conference in college football. We play teams loaded with the best talent around. Not saying thats any excuse. But you can't build an sec contender in 2 years. Again this isnt the acc,big east, pac 10, etc. This is the sec. So that being said I've seen a kentucky team that people are hesistant to play. This year despite the blowout losses, we were taken forreal. and we can only improve next year.

Joker won 5 games his 2nd year too but nobody hung 60 on one of his teams! UGA was lucky to get out with win VS Joker coached teams
alfus21 Wrote:So all of Florida's top 12 recruiting classes from the last 5 years are all currently redshirting? Interesting.

Also interesting is that Tennessee's RB (Hurd) was a 5 star recruit out of high school last year, and Dobbs (QB) was part of their 2013 class ranked 8 spots higher than Kentucky. Neither currently redshirting.

We have good skills players, but rankings argue otherwise against what you're saying. I'm not stating opinions here. Other SEC schools have better players right now, and for the most part older players.

Those teams may "suck" but they have good players across the board. Including skills players.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
You cant tell me that Tennessees Hurd is better than Boom Williams. Rankings or not, Boom, Braylon Heard, and maybe even Jo Jo are better talents. They just don't have the coaching.
Dobbs is a young kid who our "billboard allstars" should have dismantled.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree.
You cant tell me that Tennessees Hurd is better than Boom Williams. Rankings or not, Boom, Braylon Heard, and maybe even Jo Jo are better talents. They just don't have the coaching.
Dobbs is a young kid who our "billboard allstars" should have dismantled.

Guess we'll just ignore what you previously said about Florida not having better players. You've also completely ignored that Tennessee has had better classes than Kentucky for the last several years as well. Not excusing a blowout loss, but it not only takes players highly ranked, but generally mature players/talent which at this point Kentucky doesn't have.

I can tell you based on rankings and stats that Jalen Hurd is one of the best young RBs in the nation, and he has a highly ranked OL to run behind. I love Boom, Heard, and Kemp but they're not these incredible talents you're making them out to be. There's a reason Heard couldn't cut it at Nebraska.
I also want to say that at his point it's too difficult to determine if he is a good coach or not. I'm not pleased with these recent blowout losses anymore than you all, but I know it's way too soon to send him on his way. He will have to make some changes after the season with some staff, schemes, etc. but it takes time to turn things around. Next year will determine a lot for Stoops.
alfus21 Wrote:I also want to say that at his point it's too difficult to determine if he is a good coach or not. I'm not pleased with these recent blowout losses anymore than you all, but I know it's way too soon to send him on his way. He will have to make some changes after the season with some staff, schemes, etc. but it takes time to turn things around. Next year will determine a lot for Stoops.

I completely agree with this. This offseason Stoops is going have to make some big time changes. Starting with their wristband wearing and backward hat wearing special teams coach. Even with their so called "cupcake schedule" before the season started most everybody was saying 2-3 wins at the most. Their lack of depth is I believe what is hurting them right now.
Pages: 1 2