Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 30 Ashland 15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ashlands D played lights out.Baker showed he is D1 and they are junior heavy, They played a HELL of a game against FTH.:Thumbs:
Baker played like a big time back in this game. Where was this Ashland team all year, though?
Nice game TCats. You all fought hard.
This one surprised me, more so than the Cov Cath/JC game.
great effort by Ashland and Congratulations to Highlands!
T-CATS Wrote:Ashlands D played lights out.Baker showed he is D1 and they are junior heavy, They played a HELL of a game against FTH.:Thumbs:

Highlands played their worst game of the year, including, kicking game and coaching IMO. Props to Ashland for their D, they gave it their all. Ashlands O play callling is terrible! And Baker did not look D1, he had two break away long runs and nothing else, looked way to small for SEC (hope I am wrong). Ashland has some quality players.
Good Run Ashland!!!!!
Highlands played their "worst game of the year" because ashland made them look that way. Give credit where it's due. It doesn't hurt that bad I promise.
This score amazes me.
Elm street Wrote:Highlands played their "worst game of the year" because ashland made them look that way. Give credit where it's due. It doesn't hurt that bad I promise.

I did give credit where due, I said Ashland had some good looking players and their D played well. Everything that Ashland fans said needed to happen for them to win did and HHS still won. HHS had a terrible game. It easily could have been 30-0 at half if HHS played well. Yes I give Ashland D credit at the goal line, but HHS play calling in first goal line drive was terrible and on second time inside the 5 it was a bad snap that stopped them. Give Ashland credit for taking advantage of HHS miscues and making it a game. It was their "worst game of the year" except maybe for first game against Campbell Co. They did not look good tonight, sorry if you do not like that. Play calling for HHS on O was not the greatest. Passing at will to start the game and then went away from it, why not sure. Kicking game was bad tonight, I am sure cold might have been part of reason. HHS D shut Ashland down except for two big runs by Baker. As for Ashlands offense, the coaching/play calling sucked! All they did was run off guard the whole first half. They have some good looking players on offense and with better coaching/play calling, they could be dangerous. Sitting with Ashland fans and they all were complaining about it and stated it is been that way all year. Their fans got really happy when they tried throwing it a little second half. Problem is you do not average 8 passes a game and then go into a game against HHS and expect to beat them passing it. I will say it again, Ashland has a nice team, but yes Highlands played poorly tonight.
Ashland played about as good as they can. FTH had a off night and almost cost them. I was proud of the TOMCATS. Baker broke 2 big runs and guess what out ran everyone on Highlands D. Kid has speed and heart. Can't teach either.
The Ashland defense was very impressive last night. It completely neutralized Hoge and the offense. It seemed Highlands offense went to playing with its tail between its legs in the second half after the failed opening drive of the second half. 4th and 2 and you attempt a 40yd field goal.....Highlands only does this when their backs are against the wall and they most certainly were last night. This game was decided very late in the 4th and Ashland was a play away from tieing this thing up late in the 4th. Instead, Kendall stepped up. Hoge was uncertain in himself and appeared rattled when the pressure was put on him. Subsequently, the offense fell apart. It was the same exact game as week one in Campbell County. Highlands looked completely lost on offense and went into panic mode way too early. If a team can keep it close with Highlands in the playoffs and that team has a decent balanced offense, the Birds will likely fold. Tomcats almost shocked the world last night!
Alot closer than what I predicted
One more thing I noticed that I feel could have made a bigger difference was the fan base for Ashland.....or lack thereof. The dozen that showed roared like lions. The rest of the fans should be ashamed. Those kids were pumped up and kept looking toward the empty stands for support. It was kinda sad.
Baker 25 carries 285 yards 2 TDs. He not very good!!!!:biglmao:
I also liked the "lay it all out there approach" that Ashland took by going for it on 4th down inside their own 20 early in the game. They converted and it gave the squad a huge confidence boost while deflating the Birds. If teams like CCH adopt this approach and attack like Kamikaze's, the Birds buckle; they are that fragile.
FTH, at its worst, doubled up on Ashland, at its best. FTH moves on. Ashland turns in its uniforms. FTH played a very uninspired game. It is a good thing they weren't playing one of the better teams.
T-CATS Wrote:Baker 25 carries 285 yards 2 TDs. He not very good!!!!:biglmao:

T-CATS according to everyone else JC needs to play better teams with better players. Belfry defending 3 A State Champion / Ashland with 2 great high school backs.

Baker is a great kid and a great player. Nice job. Long is also a fine player.

I guess Haters will be haters. Just seams most on this sight are from LC and the other sight Northern KY.
Baker is top notch, can score at any given time. Good showing by Tomcats.
As expected, Highlands vs Cov Cath and Lex Cath vs Boyle Co. The 4 best team in region 3 and 4 battle it out for the right to the state semi-final. That's consistency, year in and year out. Good luck to all 4.
FBfan4life Wrote:As expected, Highlands vs Cov Cath and Lex Cath vs Boyle Co. The 4 best team in region 3 and 4 battle it out for the right to the state semi-final. That's consistency, year in and year out. Good luck to all 4.
Pig Pen logic...Very good cornhusker.
Ashland got the game into the 4th only down 1 score. All CAT fans should be proud of these young men. They left it all on the field and made Highlands play a full game. Good luck to all the teams left including the EVILS.
I am a little surprised that nobody has pointed out to our Yankee neighbors that Baker increased his rushing yardage by a factor of almost 10x versus Highlands compared to how he did against Johnson Central. Apparently, Johnson Central's schedule was not as weak as some Highlands fans thought.

With both Baker and Long returning next year for their senior seasons, it will take another great defensive effort for Johnson Central to win another district title. I am already looking forward to making the trip to Ashland to watch the Tomcats and Golden Eagles play next season for the district title.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:One more thing I noticed that I feel could have made a bigger difference was the fan base for Ashland.....or lack thereof. The dozen that showed roared like lions. The rest of the fans should be ashamed. Those kids were pumped up and kept looking toward the empty stands for support. It was kinda sad.

You should also get on the Highlands fan base, or lack of! They too had a pitiful crowd. It was smaller than the first round game. No more than three rows of student section and half of rest of crowd compared to Boyd game.
I would have liked to see how things played out if Ashland didnt have to call timeout to discuss going for two on the second touchdown. Not sure why you would even think about going for the kick there and not used their last timeout to attempt a 4th and 12 from their own 19 with 6 minutes left down one score. Highlands did hot have first down in the third quarter and the only real play of significance was an inside run that caught Ashland in a stunt. A couple of questionable decisions when the outcome was in question.
sstack Wrote:You should also get on the Highlands fan base, or lack of! They too had a pitiful crowd. It was smaller than the first round game. No more than three rows of student section and half of rest of crowd compared to Boyd game.

To be honest, the past history didn't point to a competitive game, and when you add in the lower temps, it meant that a lot of people stayed home. Pretty sure they make up for it this Friday.