Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best Refs In 14th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who are the best referee's in the 14th Region? You always see some of them in KHSAA Sweet 16. Here is my top 10

1.Dexter Campbell.. Calls All Big Games
2. Tommy Hutton.....Is Dexter's Partner in Big Games
3. Brian Cook... 2 Girls Sweet 16's in 4 Years. 2006 All A St
4. Mike Melton.... Way Underrated, Just Doesn't Politic
5. Glenn Napier.. Last Year Called Sweet 16 Boys
6. Chad Allen.. Went Though Ranks A Little Quick
7. Jeff Ritchie.. A Little Cocky
8. Larry Thacker.. 2006 Girls Sweet 16
9. Steve Thomas..Well Respected Guy, 2nd Year Back
10. Tim Cornett.. Old Cordia Boy, Works Hard
Official Legend14th Wrote:Who are the best referee's in the 14th Region? You always see some of them in KHSAA Sweet 16. Here is my top 10

A little cocky...seems to be very cocky in my eyes...
baller25 Wrote:A little cocky...seems to be very cocky in my eyes...

I can understand that. I didn't want to write a long meassage on each, what I think is Ritchie knows the game, runs the floor well, and does a good job, but needs to understand people don't come to watch him
Official Legend14th Wrote:I can understand that. I didn't want to write a long meassage on each, what I think is Ritchie knows the game, runs the floor well, and does a good job, but needs to understand people don't come to watch him

You stole the wods right out of my mouth...But the best ref by far in the region is Dexter.
They're all horrible.
Yeah I hear that alot about the one guy. Thinks he is the best looking thing that God has ever put on the Earth, lol....I am going with Huttin(Hut)....I also like Glenn Napier! Thacker is funny to watch call, good guy!
Hutt, no doubt the best ref...a great guy too!
Official Legend14th Wrote:Who are the best referee's in the 14th Region? You always see some of them in KHSAA Sweet 16. Here is my top 10

1.Brian Cook- Always professional, works well with players and coaches.
2.Glenn Napier- Always does a good job.
3.Steve Thomas- Always does a good job.
4. Mike Melton-Always does a good job.

Falls off from there.
Jeff Ritchie - people don't come to see him.
Chad Allen - blows the whistle too much, and sees things that are not there.
Thacker and Cornett- Overall not bad.
Hutton and Campbell- overrated.
Brian Cook does work well with players. Don't see that alot. And he will also tell players to watch things and kind of give them a warning about watching something such a handchecks and aspects like that. Great guy indeed!
well IMO i would have the say the best ref is Bradley Head ....He is a great guy
i would have to agree that bradley head is one of the best refs that i have ever seen call a game. Go HEAD!
Never heard of him..
Bradley Head?? Is that some kind of a joke, never heard of him...
heck no it aint some kind of joke, i mean come on everyone knows who Bradley Head is and if you dont then theres something majorly wrong with you..
LuckyCharms Wrote:heck no it aint some kind of joke, i mean come on everyone knows who Bradley Head is and if you dont then theres something majorly wrong with you..
I don't think Bradley Head even calls varsity. I think he is a JV referee. But he's got a long way to go before he is in the 'top ref' category. Same for Tim Cornett.

The 14th has numerous good officials. In no particular order here are some good ones: Dexter Campbell, Jeff Ritchie, Glenn Napier,Tommy Hutton, Chad Allen (although a little quick on the T and throwing fans out of the gym), Mike Mays, Brian Cook, Steve Thomas, Tony Burch, and Larry Thacker.

A few of the above can sometimes be 'homers' if you happen get them in certain gyms, but overall they're a good group of refs.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I don't think Bradley Head even calls varsity. I think he is a JV referee. But he's got a long way to go before he is in the 'top ref' category. Same for Tim Cornett.

The 14th has numerous good officials. In no particular order here are some good ones: Dexter Campbell, Jeff Ritchie, Glenn Napier,Tommy Hutton, Chad Allen (although a little quick on the T and throwing fans out of the gym), Mike Mays, Brian Cook, Steve Thomas, Tony Burch, and Larry Thacker.

A few of the above can sometimes be 'homers' if you happen get them in certain gyms, but overall they're a good group of refs.

Who the heck is Tony Burch? and what is wrong with Tim Cornett? Sure he wears glasses, but he doesn't try and be the center of attention. He works his butt off everytime I've seen him call, works well with the players, but won't take no crap either, and he is the only ref in the 14th from Lotts Creek
Official Legend14th Wrote:Who the heck is Tony Burch? and what is wrong with Tim Cornett? Sure he wears glasses, but he doesn't try and be the center of attention. He works his butt off everytime I've seen him call, works well with the players, but won't take no crap either, and he is the only ref in the 14th from Lotts Creek
Tony Burch has been calling big games in the 14th region for probably 15 years. He couldn't call games last year because of surgery he had, but he is a very good ref. Ask any of the other top level refs in the 14th and they'' tell you the same thing, I guarantee it.
As far as Tim Cornett is concerned, he may be ready to call SEC games as far as I know at this moment (I haven't seen him call in a couple of years), but he had sure better have improved by leaps and bounds from the last few time I saw him.....just wasn't impressed...at all.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Tony Burch has been calling big games in the 14th region for probably 15 years. He couldn't call games last year because of surgery he had, but he is a very good ref. Ask any of the other top level refs in the 14th and they'' tell you the same thing, I guarantee it.
As far as Tim Cornett is concerned, he may be ready to call SEC games as far as I know at this moment (I haven't seen him call in a couple of years), but he had sure better have improved by leaps and bounds from the last few time I saw him.....just wasn't impressed...at all.

I remember him now, he's from Owsley Co. right? Good referee I aplologize about that. as far as Tim Cornett I think he has got better. Seem like he told me he went to a referee camp a couple years ago in Lexington. said he learned a lot of game management and floor coverage.I think that is something that we need in the 14th and the Mountains as a whole is try to get everyone on the same page. Seems like the refs in other regions let you bang more and are more physical and our teams are not use to that when they play there especially at Sweet 16.I'm not going to reply to this post until after January so maybe you'll get a chance to see Cornett work and can evaluate his progress
Official Legend14th Wrote:I remember him now, he's from Owsley Co. right? Good referee I aplologize about that. as far as Tim Cornett I think he has got better. Seem like he told me he went to a referee camp a couple years ago in Lexington. said he learned a lot of game management and floor coverage.I think that is something that we need in the 14th and the Mountains as a whole is try to get everyone on the same page. Seems like the refs in other regions let you bang more and are more physical and our teams are not use to that when they play there especially at Sweet 16.I'm not going to reply to this post until after January so maybe you'll get a chance to see Cornett work and can evaluate his progress
Burch is from either Owsley or Breathitt, not really sure.
I was probably a little too critical of Cornett. I haven't seen him in a couple of years, and the few times I have seen him in the past is not enough to make a judgement on. He may have just had a bad night when I saw him. I mean, referrees have bad nights, just like b-ball players do. I've been told that by many of them, even the ones rated at the top.

Does anyone have an opinion on AJ Davis from Estill County? He was a new referee in the 14th last year, but had called varsity in the 10th for many years. But I've never seen him call a game. I heard from a few coaches that they liked the way he called games.
I like Glenn Napier. I feel that he calls all the games fair.
Im not a fan of the 14th region at all.

What is the name of one they call snake?
There Is A Reason They Call Him Snake. Enough Said.
i wasnt aware they were any good refs in the 14th........lol
LUMBERJACK'06 Wrote:i wasnt aware they were any good refs in the 14th........lol
Yeah, there are plenty of themBig Grinrums02: . The 13th and 15th region refs attend summer officiating clinics on how to be good refs, put on by the 14th region referee association, or that's what I've been told.
the best in the 14th are Glenn Napier, Tommy Hutton and
Brian Cook.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Yeah, there are plenty of themBig Grinrums02: . The 13th and 15th region refs attend summer officiating clinics on how to be good refs, put on by the 14th region referee association, or that's what I've been told.

Are you trying to say that the 13/15 officials are learning from the guys in the 14th?
thepharmacist Wrote:Are you trying to say that the 13/15 officials are learning from the guys in the 14th?
Just joking around. I should have put a laughy face smiles after the post. The other guy was kidding about 14th region refs (I think) and I was kidding back with him.