Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who deserves a Bronze Statue at your school?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
IMO at Belfry High School, if a Bronze statue was to be erected in honor of any certain individual. It would have to be of Dr. Chuck Johnson. He has served the community for well over 25 years as the leading Pediatric Physician in the area. Taking over his mothers practice. Serving on the school board for several terms and being team Physician at almost all sports events. As a graduate of Belfry High School and for the time and heart he has put into the community he would be my number 1 pick above any and all. Sports figures included, even Coach Haywood, Dr. Johnson is far and away the only one worthy of the honor.
In Rockcastle I would say David Brock. He is Rockcastle super fan who has helped out in the community announcing little league football and baseball games and keeps up with there sports carriers all the way up through high school. I think he may have even coached back before my time. He hardly ever missed any varsity football, basketball, and baseball games, up until a couple years ago. David has been sick and hasn't been able to get out much lately. I also could see rock having a statue of Tom Larkey and Tony Saylor. those two men mean a lot to the football program at Rockcastle
If you are talking just about sports in general at Fairview it could be Jeff Hall who was a starter on Louisville Cardinals 1986 NCAA Championship basketball team , & his high school stats were unreal . It could also be Jim Day a basketbsll player , & coach at Fairview who also played in the NBA for i believe the Lakers .George Cook who if im not mistaken is the all time winningest basketball coach at Fairview , & he played at UK for Adolph Rupp . If just talking football i would probably say Paul Reliford who was Fairview's 1st coach , & has the highest winning percentage . As far as a player goes probably Chris Jennings who was an all state RB , & LB who went on to play in the NFL as a RB .
Harlan County.... there is no question.

Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones

Granny Bear comes in a very close number two.
Leslie County....

Tim Couch
Crossbones I have to agree with you. Dr. Johnson is one of the best people you can meet. It is unreal the time and commitment he puts into the programs at Belfry High School and is always ready to help you in any way he can.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Harlan County.... there is no question.

Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones

Granny Bear comes in a very close number two.

Didn't Wah Wah play for the Green Dragons?
Perry County - Heston Beverly
East Ridge - Eric Ratliff

The man was a coach for multiple sports from 2002, 2005-8, 2013-2014

Was fired as the Head Football coach during 2002, and since then it has been a building program year after year.

Why he deserves it? He clearly can coach. Many people look at his records at Jenkins, Magoffin County, and East Ridge and don't see much. They overlook his stints with Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and his time helping Jim Matney build Sheldon Clark.
No one.
sstack Wrote:No one.

Not even J Lo?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Not even J Lo?

No, I like how at HHS it is all about the team and not individual.
sstack Wrote:No, I like how at HHS it is all about the team and not individual.

Fair enough....
Ashland put one in their refurbished Putnam Stadium this year of Herb Conley.
Nobody at LCC...School hasn't been opened long enough to establish a bronze statue of anyone. Trying to think of people from the old schools of Whitesburg, Letcher and Neon.
Since this is the football forum, for Perry Central and MC Napier, i'd go with Bob Sexton. He was an assistant football coach for Napier through most of it's existence and was a constant presence at the field after he retired, always hanging out, watching practices, he was at every game, he talked to every kid on the team and was always helping coach them up. Everyone loved to be around him, he was a great person, and anyone that played football for MC Napier or Perry Central can attest to that fact, the man loved football and was the biggest supporter there was of Navajo/Commodore football. He passed in August 2012 but many of us remember him fondly.
My comments are based on who I played with at Betsy Layne which was 1987-1990. David Recznik was a beast. He started 4 years on the offensive line. Also Brandon Bubba Combs. He was only an 8th grader when I was a senior but he start on our offensive line and deserved to. He went on to get All American at Morehead State.
Deebo Wrote:East Ridge - Eric Ratliff

The man was a coach for multiple sports from 2002, 2005-8, 2013-2014

Was fired as the Head Football coach during 2002, and since then it has been a building program year after year.

Why he deserves it? He clearly can coach. Many people look at his records at Jenkins, Magoffin County, and East Ridge and don't see much. They overlook his stints with Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Pike Central, and his time helping Jim Matney build Sheldon Clark.

He doesn't need a statue, he needs a moving truck!
Lawrence County- Dougie "Bulldog" Vanhoose
At Highlands? We don't have that kind of space.:1:
For Somerset, James "Red" Roberts, Class of 1918, no question.

Three-time Walter Camp All-American, Centre College (1919-21)

No other Somerset athlete has even come close to attracting the national accolades, attention and fame that Red did, way back in the day.

As great as he was, Ray Correll (Class of 1950 and UK All-American, 1953) is a distant second.
For Johnson Central, my choice would be former principal, Paul Setser. Mr. Setser worked tirelessly to see that the school, athletic facilities, and grounds were among the best maintained in the state. You could tell the difference that he made by walking through the halls of Johnson Central and then walking through any other eastern Kentucky high school that were built in the 60s and 70s. Johnson Central's facilities looked almost new the entire time that Paul Setser roamed its halls.

The other thing that set Paul Setser apart from other principals was his sense of fair play. I will never forget the day that he asked me to ride in to town with a poor student who could not afford a car so that he could take his driver's test in Setser's personal car. The student had been in some trouble and had even taken a swing at Setser (a mountain of a man) at one point, but had become a valued member of the school's first wrestling team.

Setser was a strict disciplinarian, but it was his generosity and work ethic that made a lasting impression on me.
sstack Wrote:No, I like how at HHS it is all about the team and not individual.

He's still eligible for the "Jack Daniels Hall of Fame " though, right?:popcorn:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:For Johnson Central, my choice would be former principal, Paul Setser. Mr. Setser worked tirelessly to see that the school, athletic facilities, and grounds were among the best maintained in the state. You could tell the difference that he made by walking through the halls of Johnson Central and then walking through any other eastern Kentucky high school that were built in the 60s and 70s. Johnson Central's facilities looked almost new the entire time that Paul Setser roamed its halls.

The other thing that set Paul Setser apart from other principals was his sense of fair play. I will never forget the day that he asked me to ride in to town with a poor student who could not afford a car so that he could take his driver's test in Setser's personal car. The student had been in some trouble and had even taken a swing at Setser (a mountain of a man) at one point, but had become a valued member of the school's first wrestling team.

Setser was a strict disciplinarian, but it was his generosity and work ethic that made a lasting impression on me.

I have heard that story so many time Hoot.....
Sometimes, I even saw a re-enactment.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Not even J Lo?

There isn't enough bronze in the world!
Harlan County=Tom Larkey

Although he came from Rockcastle and we've only had him 8 years (so far) he took a very touchy situation of not only consolidating three high school teams into one but consolidating three football rich communities. This was his first losing season, but he immediately brought a winning attitude to Black Bear Nation. Plus he fits in so well some consider him family!
At Betsy Layne Layne its to early but I would say Dylan Hamilton, Dylan Maldonado, Casey Adkins, Kory Jarrell. Last few years dominates the first 32 years at betsy Layne.
T-CATS Wrote:Ashland put one in their refurbished Putnam Stadium this year of Herb Conley.

Right beside the one of NotsoBADCAT?
At Paintsville there are three: Adkins, Brugh, and Runyon. Place one at the entrance of each corresponding and appropriately named facility.
Pages: 1 2