Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic @ Johnson Central 4A Playoffs 2nd round
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Covington Catholic makes their 6th trip to Johnsonville for the 2nd round of the class 4A playoffs.

And for those of you who wonder why Johnson Central is referred to as "Johnsonville"... one of the Cov. Cath. radio announcers coined the phrase in the 2006 season when JC and Cov. Cath played in the 3A State Semi-Finals. He said something to the effect of.... "We are going to Johnsonville next Friday night."

The series is tied 3-3. All six games have been played at JC and all six games have been contested in the playoffs.

2006: Covington Catholic 38-14 (3A State Semi-Finals)
2008: Johnson Central 49-14 (5A 2nd Round)
2009: Johnson Central 51-32 (5A 2nd Round)
2010: Johnson Central 41-28 (5A 2nd Round)
2012: Covington Catholic 45-15 (4A 2nd Round)
2013: Covington Catholic 42-14 (4A 2nd Round)

I would like to see this series continue in the regular season with a Home/Home series. With the new alignment, we may not get to see the Colonels for a long time.
Should be a good game.
This is a hard game to know what is going to happen. JC, how good are they? Cupcake schedule so nobody is sure. Last year same thing and Cov Cath beat them like a drum. Cov Cath has looked really bad and looks like they might have some injury problems. I find it hard to believe a 11-0 team can not beat this Cov Cath team but maybe the schedule is only reason they are 11-0. Even if JC wins, if they do not win big, then I think they will have no shot at Highlands. It is going to be a very fun game to watch.
I got Johnson Central by two touchdowns. I believe they are a legit title contender. Good luck to both teams.
BoyleCounty Wrote:I got Johnson Central by two touchdowns. I believe they are a legit title contender. Good luck to both teams.

I have not seen nor heard anything from Johnson Central this season to suggest that type of outcome. What I have heard is that they are very youthful at numerous positions to even be in the discussion.
Peaches Wrote:I have not seen nor heard anything from Johnson Central this season to suggest that type of outcome. What I have heard is that they are very youthful at numerous positions to even be in the discussion.

You talked me into it. I'll take Johnson Central by 14.
sstack Wrote:This is a hard game to know what is going to happen. JC, how good are they? Cupcake schedule so nobody is sure. Last year same thing and Cov Cath beat them like a drum. Cov Cath has looked really bad and looks like they might have some injury problems. I find it hard to believe a 11-0 team can not beat this Cov Cath team but maybe the schedule is only reason they are 11-0. Even if JC wins, if they do not win big, then I think they will have no shot at Highlands. It is going to be a very fun game to watch.

I am not sure myself how good JC is. I think they are better on the offensive side of the Football this season. The JC QB is a playmaker who throws the football with a nice touch. IMO the JC Halfbacks are much quicker this season too. Last season JC had trouble catching the football against Cov Cath. The JC WRs had no problem beating the Cov Cath DBs deep but dropped 2 for sure TDs and maybe a 3rd drop was a td. Last season JC couldn't stop Cov Cath's shot gun read option and that will tell the Tale this year too. I think last years JC defense was bigger and stronger but that doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. IMO if the JC defense is more discipline and smarter this year they will beat Cov Cath. The Key to this game is JC's defense. I think JC has a big advantage in the kicking game also.
Last year CC flat out kicked our butt on the LOS and beat us at our own game on the ground. I think JC comes out victorious this year. And yes it would be great if we could continue to play CC and FTH every year in the regular season. These games are just to much fun.
Like many others have said, JC's schedule makes it impossible for most of us to know how good this team is. Covington Catholic has easily won the last two games in this series, so I am inclined to pick them to win a third - but I have a feeling about this team. Because they have not been challenged this season, I suspect that Matney probably has some surprises in his playbook that the Colonels will not see in their scouting report. Also, the following factors seem to point to a win by the Golden Eagles:

1. Injuries - JC will have an edge in the kicking game. If the Colonels' starting kicker is out again, the edge will be a big one. If Wagner is unable to bounce back from an ankle injury or is at less than 100 percent, JC will have a big edge at the QB position.

2. Preparation - JC has passed very effectively this season, so Covington Catholic will have to respect the passing game early. That should really help JC to establish its running game early. In the past couple of seasons, the Colonels were able to focus on shutting down the running game without worrying much about JC passing down field. If they do that this season, they will get burned.

3. Style - This JC team reminds me of the 2006 team that lost to Covington Catholic's state championship team after leading them at the half. JC has a big, physical fullback who may be able to wear down the Colonels interior defense the way that Blake Johnson did before he was lost to an injury in the second half of the 2006 game. Workman is a very athletic quarterback who ran the ball very well against the Colonels last season and he has passed the ball well this season after moving to quarterback. Dalton Adkins has one of the best yards/reception averages in the state this season and he is a big play threat that has to be respected. Bryce Skaggs is one of the speediest running backs to ever play for JC, and the Golden Eagles are deep at the skill positions.

4. Line - JC's line, especially the defensive line has been dominant throughout the season. If they can pressure Covington Catholic's QB, then the Colonels' offense will be much less effective than it has been the past two seasons.

5. Field Position & Big Plays - Covington Catholic will almost certainly find itself starting with bad field position much of the game because of Tyler Pack's leg. The Colonels will need to make some big plays and win the turnover battle if they expect to win. Otherwise, JC will march down a short field all night long and then pin the Colonels deep in their own territory.

I also think that Covington Catholic players and coaches may look at the scores for the past couple of games with JC and be caught looking ahead to a rematch with Highlands. Johnson Central has been preparing for this game for a full year and if Johnson Central gets off to a quick start and grabs the early momentum, the Colonels will be in trouble.

I would love to see Johnson Central put Highlands and Covington Catholic on the schedule. Regardless of how this young team performs this week, the future is very bright at Johnson Central and the Golden Eagles will win a state title or two - if not this season, then soon. They have too much young talent and Matney is too good a coach not to win a few titles before he retires.

I am going to go out on a limb and pick Johnson Central to win by 14.
I hate to pick against Covington Catholic, but I'll go with Johnsonville 28-21
Johnson Central by 10.
Johnson Central by 28. This will be the game to see how good they are!!
This post edited by RunItUpTheGut

Reason..... Cause Stone Cold Said So!!!!!!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Covington Catholic makes their 6th trip to Johnsonville for the 2nd round of the class 4A playoffs.

And for those of you who wonder why Johnson Central is referred to as "Johnsonville"... one of the Cov. Cath. radio announcers coined the phrase in the 2006 season when JC and Cov. Cath played in the 3A State Semi-Finals. He said something to the effect of.... "We are going to Johnsonville next Friday night."

The series is tied 3-3. All six games have been played at JC and all six games have been contested in the playoffs.

I would like to see this series continue in the regular season with a Home/Home series. With the new alignment, we may not get to see the Colonels for a long time.

Have all of these games been played at Johnson Central?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Covington Catholic makes their 6th trip to Johnsonville for the 2nd round of the class 4A playoffs.

Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Have all of these games been played at Johnson Central?
The answer has already been provided Mr. Vonner....
#ReadMyPost
Nice Season Johnson Central again Nice Season!!!!! Now you can concentrate on defending that 15th Region Basketball Championship Confusednicker:
Nice season JC! You was almost there!!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The answer has already been provided Mr. Vonner....
#ReadMyPost

Thank you, Mr. Fiction. I assumed that was the case. CovCath always has a hard road after the first round slaughter game since they always finish second to FTH and are forced to go on the road thereafter. I guess Ashland is in the same situation since they nearly always finish second to Johnson Central. Of course, Ashland is much less of a threat to win against a good team than is CovCath.
I drank the kool aid last year. All season I heard about how this was the team to finally beat Highlands and Cov Cathy beat them like a drum. I'm rooting for JC but am picking Cov Cath.
Before yesterday I was likely picking CovCath in this game. The injuries seemed to have abated and the season was coming together more like what was expected, but the injury bug bit hard again yesterday. I have no idea what to think at this point. I'm going with JC in a close game because of the home field advantage, but I think it could go either way.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I am not sure myself how good JC is. I think they are better on the offensive side of the Football this season. The JC QB is a playmaker who throws the football with a nice touch. IMO the JC Halfbacks are much quicker this season too. Last season JC had trouble catching the football against Cov Cath. The JC WRs had no problem beating the Cov Cath DBs deep but dropped 2 for sure TDs and maybe a 3rd drop was a td. Last season JC couldn't stop Cov Cath's shot gun read option and that will tell the Tale this year too. I think last years JC defense was bigger and stronger but that doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. IMO if the JC defense is more discipline and smarter this year they will beat Cov Cath. The Key to this game is JC's defense. I think JC has a big advantage in the kicking game also.

I'm pretty sure Covington Catholic is not quaking in their boots about the JC passing game. The only reason JC has ANY success throwing the ball is every one sells out trying to stop their running game. Due to that, JC can sneek a pass in once in a while surpeising the other team.

Average game 4 attempts 2 completions 86 yards

CC is used to seeing more passing than that in the first two minutes of any regular season game they play. IF CC can slow down JC's running game and get up a couple of scores, it will be lights out. If JC gets up a couple of scores and can grind it out, it's a long trip home for the Colonels.

Workman, Bryce 5 - 5 - 119
Workman, Bryce 7 - 2 - 58
Workman, Bryce 4 - 2 - 61
Workman, Bryce 2 - 2 - 70
Workman, Bryce 7 - 4 - 148
Workman, Bryce 3 - 3 - 63
Workman, Bryce 3 - 2 - 56
Workman, Bryce 4 - 4 - 172
Workman, Bryce 1 - 1 - 36
Workman, Bryce 3 - 1 - 36
Workman, Bryce 7 - 5 - 123
Johnsonville, the bald eagles, Johnson Central, the golden eagles....whatever you want to call them, they are tough!!! But so is CC!! I think this will probably be the best contest in the mountains this week.

All that said, I'm going with the Johnson Central Golden Eagles by 8!!

Hoot Gibson, that signature is really YOU!!
probably going to the be a good game... Colonels by 3
I really hope JC gets by Cov Cath for the simple fact I want to see the JC/Highlands thread.

It will be the last game for eternal bragging rights with the reclassification and Highlands/CC running out of 4A (even though they should have to stay)

Sports anchors everywhere are hoping JC don't win the next two weeks.
JC by 2 scores.
Blau Vogel Wrote:I'm pretty sure Covington Catholic is not quaking in their boots about the JC passing game. The only reason JC has ANY success throwing the ball is every one sells out trying to stop their running game. Due to that, JC can sneek a pass in once in a while surpeising the other team.

CC is used to seeing more passing than that in the first two minutes of any regular season game they play. IF CC can slow down JC's running game and get up a couple of scores, it will be lights out. If JC gets up a couple of scores and can grind it out, it's a long trip home for the Colonels.

Nobody said CCH was quaking in their boots over anything. My point is the JC QB is a playmaker in both the passing and running games.
honestjchsfan Wrote:

Nobody said CCH was quaking in their boots over anything. My point is the JC QB is a playmaker in both the passing and running games.

My point is the only thing JC has going for it in the passing game is the element of surprise. We will see what a play maker he is passing when JC gets down a couple of scores and he HAS to pass. How many teams have the Eagles played that can defend the pass?
A healthy CCH team will give JC a beatdown. 3tds
Blau Vogel Wrote:I'm pretty sure Covington Catholic is not quaking in their boots about the JC passing game. The only reason JC has ANY success throwing the ball is every one sells out trying to stop their running game. Due to that, JC can sneek a pass in once in a while surpeising the other team.

honestjchsfan Wrote:

Blau Vogel Wrote:My point is the only thing JC has going for it in the passing game is the element of surprise. We will see what a play maker he is passing when JC gets down a couple of scores and he HAS to pass. How many teams have the Eagles played that can defend the pass?

As far as the "element of surprise" goes.... you are so right. Cov. Cath. needs to play all 11 guys between the tackles and as close to the LOS as possible Friday night. Maybe even try to sneak two or three extra players on the field when CCH is on defense. Your players are so much faster than ours, even if we did complete a pass. your players could catch ours probably before we got a 1st down. Even if JC has 5 WR's on a play, make sure CCH doesn't cover them.... cause everybody knows the play will probably be a QB keeper.
This game will be closer than the other semifinal game.
Pages: 1 2 3 4