Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dream Team: 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This thread is pretty simple: Pick the ideal team to lead this country. Vet your candidates well, and defend your picks. Make sure they stand up to scrutiny. After a period of a week or two, we'll do a straw poll vote to see what the ideal team would look like. Be open minded, and pay attention to detail. Some things you want to look for are fiscal conservatism, minority appeal, social ideology, religion, fundraising ability, experience, baggage, and physical appearance (yes, studies show that the better looking candidate has an advantage. I'd run, but that'd eliminate all my challengers. Smile

President: Rand Paul (Controversial political incorrectness, but huge energy and fundraising, and I agree with his policies for the most part. His willingness to engage minority groups in a very frank manner is also appealing.)

Vice-Pres: Rubio (I believe that the president of the Senate should have experience as a Senator. Rubio brings minority appeal and plenty of name recognition along with funds, and fiscal conservatism.)

SecState: John Bolton. Period. (Controversial and difficult to confirm with a democratic senate. however, under new filibuster rules and 51 vote threshold, as well as a GOP senate -- should easily be confirmed)

DefSec: Lindsay Graham (Current Colonel in the army, extensive government experience, a fiscal conservative, has a large amount of respect for military ideas)

Treasury: Rob Portman (Extensive budget experience, and knowledge of austrian economics, along with a minor boost to ohio voters in a key swing state)

Health, Human Services: I'd have to do much more digging on this. Its a tough post to fill. On one hand, you need someone who will govern it with fiscal conservativism, but because of Obamacare --- and the rule of law, it'll have to be someone who isn't entirely opposed to it. Many republicans would consider Ben Carson, but I can't imagine putting a trillion dollar budget into hands of a man who has never managed more than a few million.

Homeland Sec: Jim Webb would likely make a good pick. It'd help build a bipartisan cabinet. He was sec of the navy and the author of the 9/11 g.i. bill. Having served on the intelligence comittee and defense appropriations, and his love for this country ---

UN Ambassador: I'd love to see Condi return to government, and this role would suit her well.

CIA: NO MILITARY. Its a civilian post. I will have to research this and the fbi further to make a determination.

FBI: see above.

AttGen: Ted Olson comes to mind. He's respected on both sides of the isle, and has argued tons of cases before the supreme court as solicitor general and private practice. He is a huge supporter of equality in regards to gay marriage. Seeing how the landscape is changing rapidly in this realm, it'd be tough to defend a jerry falwell style moral police officer as the top law enforcement official.

Economic Adviser:An accomplished business man with vast understanding of austrian school economics. Jack Welch comes to mind.
Chief of Staff: Arguably the most powerful man in the entire world. Reagan once said when asked "hows it feel to be the most powerful man in the world?" his reply, "Everyday a man comes in my office and lays a sheet of paper on my desk that tells me where i'm going, what i'm saying, who i'm seeing, and what i'm doing. THAT is the most powerful man on earth. He's my boss." The cheif of staff should be a very political position with an arm twister serving. I'd like to see a former military NCO, with vast political experience, firebrand conservatism, and connections in every town across the country.

I've left out minor cabinet positions: Interior, Agriculture, etc. You may include them if you care to do so.
President: Senator Ted Cruz. The smartest man in the U.S. Senate and a world class debater. Cruz understands what few Republican politicians do - how to negotiate a deal from a position of strength. Cruz is not a part of the Republican establishment and he has shown no signs of waffling on his core conservative values. Senators normally do not make good presidential candidates but Cruz will be an exception to the rule.

Vice President: Gov. John Kasich, a fiscal conservative who just won reelection in Ohio by a 2-1 margin. Republicans need to carry Ohio in 2016 and Kasich could help deliver it.

Secretary of State: Condoleeza Rice

Secretary of Defense: General David Petraeus

Secretary of Treasury: Rob Portman

Secretary of Health, Human Services: Ben Carson. I would not hesitate to put Carson in charge of a large budget. This position needs to be filled by somebody who will be seen as trustworthy and I trust Dr. Carson.

Secretary of Homeland Seurity: Col. Allen West. A very articulate veteran with great leadership skills.

Secretary of the Interior: Sarah Palin. Palin is an ideal fit for this position, IMO. It is time for somebody who understands the cost of the relentless federal land grab in western states on our economy and on the local citizens of the states that are effected.

Attorney General: Ted Olson

Chief of Staff: Mitch Daniels, former governor of Indiana, former OMB Director, and former executive at Eli Lilly and Company.

Economic Advisor: A stack of books and videos featuring Milton Friedman, Friedrich Hayek, Thomas Sowell, and others of like mind and a young, conservative economist who at least knows who these people are. The flow of advisers from Goldman Sachs and other large Wall Street investment firms needs to be cut back a few notches. What's good for Goldman Sachs and the careers of its executives is not necessarily what is good for the U.S.

Speaker of the House: Any Republican not named John Boehner.

Senate Majority Leader: Marco Rubio
I like your team, and would support it for sure. It just goes to show that there's PLENTY of talent in the Republican party. The future candidate should bolster his chances of winning the presidency by filling key slots BEFORE the general election. Saying: Elect me and your sec of state will be jane doe. Vote for me and general john doe will be sec of def.

Reagan toyed with this idea in the 80's. Seemed to have worked well for him.
ronald reagan Wrote:I like your team, and would support it for sure. It just goes to show that there's PLENTY of talent in the Republican party. The future candidate should bolster his chances of winning the presidency by filling key slots BEFORE the general election. Saying: Elect me and your sec of state will be jane doe. Vote for me and general john doe will be sec of def.

Reagan toyed with this idea in the 80's. Seemed to have worked well for him.

Isn't that illegal? I'm sure it goes on nonetheless but was curious as to the legality of it. It seems as if that caused quite a stir in the white house years and years ago.