Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How would Russell be doing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
if McGlone was coaching them. Would they have their three loses by now that they've had for the last seven years and not much hope going into Pikeville?They may have even lost the Fleming and Greenup games. Moral was low,and the kids so unresponsive, I think they could have easily been 3-5 or 2-6. Im not looking for any bashing of previous coaches, just your thoughts. Ive been thinking about this as the season has progressed.
Good to see Russell with a good coaching staff, and on the upswing. Lots of tradition in that program, and lots of earned respect. Really looking forward to the game with the Pikeville Panthers.
Only other loss I would have seen was to Ashland. Still believe we would have beaten Greenup. New system and kids settling into their passing routes didn't favor us in that game. I must admit not many venture to stack the box with us anymore.
Regardless of the results, the administration went about it wrong and very disrespectful
Hard for me to say. Maynard definitely brought a new breath of life into the program, but I think you have a combination of that and the physical and mental development of a young team the last few few seasons are coming of age. So, while I cant say 100% that the season would be worse under McGlone, I cant really say that its ALL Maynard. I do however, have confidence that Russell is flying under the radar to make a good run in the playoffs.
This years team had been the team fans saw years ago to get us back on the carpet. Messer and Dixon to Raceland....Sherman to Ironton....injury to Sammy. Team has filled in those spots nicely but now instead of a powerful team in the area you have a team that has come together as brothers. Closest team I've seen at Russell in a while.
They have a nice team there with a bright future too, some key players being underclassmen bodes well for Russell. I cannot say whether or not I think the record would have been a lot different, McGlone had been around long enough I think that he would have been able to take that matured talent and done well with it, but I also believe that Maynard coming when he did into the picture was a perfect storm. I also believe that some have not shown McGlone the respect he deserves in many posts and conversations that I have seen and heard. Other than Lutz in Ironton, no local coach has had any more success than Ivan did over the same era that he coached. I wish Maynard all the success in the world, he is a class act and a good man, but I do hope that people are not so quick to forget what Coach McGlone was able to help Russell's football team achieve over all those years.
Ivan was not only a well respected coach but him and his family were even better people. It hurts me to think that somebody could give their entire career and be completely loyal to one program and in a matter of minutes all of that gets overshadowed by the blatant disregard of loyalty and blatant disrespect to a man thats been an ambassador to Russell and given them everything. He was offered several jobs over the years and several college jobs were offered to him as well. However, he was a man of character that held his word to a much higher degree than most and would not go back on the commitment he made to the program. The Russell administration will forever have a black eye by how they handled this and for going back on their word to Ivan . I'm sure if someone would have explained to him the direction they were wanting to go, he could have found a way to go out on his own terms? No respect was given to him or his family with what happened.
If the administration felt like it was in the best interest of the program to move forward, how should they have handled it?
Agree with baseball 1974. As a disciple of Ivan and the outdated Wing-T that everyone cries is such an outdated offense that can't win anymore tell that to Scott County or Wayne WVA who still run it and destroy teams with it.Ivan and his outdated Wing-T made Russell what it was before Ivan came along Russell was mediocre at best. I am very impressed with what TJ has done and the way he has don't it, his success still does not excuse how Russell turned their backs on the one man that Russell football and the young men that have played for him more than life itself. I don't know how you handle that situation but Sean Horne gets paid a pretty freakin penny and he should have come up with something better. Ivan MCGLONE deserved better cause he sure as hell gave the community of Russell-Flatwoods better. I was embarrassed to be associated with Russell on the day they fired IVAN THE GREAT.
Does anyway think Ironton would have done Bob Lutz that way??
Anyone*
Scott Co. Can run the wing T to success because of the sheer amount of size of the team and the athletes they have running the ball. They also always have threats to the outside to keep defenses honest.
Or what about Ed Miller at Wheelersburg? Would Lutz and Miller received the same back stabbing poor old Ivan received?
I heard last year McGlone needed a walker or was in one on the sidelines? I bet kids were begging for breath of fresh air. Regardless of what you've done for the program, there comes a point and time you should do what's best for the program.
McGlone was great, and I've hated to hear the things I've heard about hte situation. Overall, I'm glad to see Russell doing well again, classy program.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Hard for me to say. Maynard definitely brought a new breath of life into the program, but I think you have a combination of that and the physical and mental development of a young team the last few few seasons are coming of age. So, while I cant say 100% that the season would be worse under McGlone, I cant really say that its ALL Maynard. I do however, have confidence that Russell is flying under the radar to make a good run in the playoffs.

In order for Russell to make a good run in the playoffs they will have to go through two of the top 8 teams in 3A and if they get that far, most likely a meeting with Belfry in the semis. I wish all the luck in the world to Russell and hope they can represent the district well.
This thread was not intended to rehash all that went down. We all know everyone has an opinion on that. This was mostly for people who actually go to games and know who the kids are and how they play. I rarely miss a game, and have seen this program on a downhill slide. I know for a fact there are kids that are playing now that either wasn't coming back, or just thought the whole program was a joke. So im using that info to come to my conclusion that they might be 500 at best.
baseball1974 Wrote:Ivan was not only a well respected coach but him and his family were even better people. It hurts me to think that somebody could give their entire career and be completely loyal to one program and in a matter of minutes all of that gets overshadowed by the blatant disregard of loyalty and blatant disrespect to a man thats been an ambassador to Russell and given them everything. He was offered several jobs over the years and several college jobs were offered to him as well. However, he was a man of character that held his word to a much higher degree than most and would not go back on the commitment he made to the program. The Russell administration will forever have a black eye by how they handled this and for going back on their word to Ivan . I'm sure if someone would have explained to him the direction they were wanting to go, he could have found a way to go out on his own terms? No respect was given to him or his family with what happened.

I agree wholeheartedly with every word in this post. As a player against Coach McGlone, it was always an honor to look across the field and see him there on the other side coaching. It was an even bigger honor when we became the only team at Lewis County to ever beat Russell my senior season. When I heard of how the Russell administration handled this situation I was shocked and appalled. I understand the want to go in a different direction but if there was ever a man that deserved to go out on his own terms, it was Ivan McGlone.
mightydog Wrote:This thread was not intended to rehash all that went down. We all know everyone has an opinion on that. This was mostly for people who actually go to games and know who the kids are and how they play. I rarely miss a game, and have seen this program on a downhill slide. I know for a fact there are kids that are playing now that either wasn't coming back, or just thought the whole program was a joke. So im using that info to come to my conclusion that they might be 500 at best.

If McGlone coaches this season I see a loss to Greenup, Ashland and Ironton, most likely a loss to Fleming as well (I believe the last few years under McGlone Russell was bad against the pass or am I mistaken?), Mason County definitely wouldn't have been a 30-point win, the Royals very well may have taken that one as Buchanan had McGlone's number the last few years. Another what-if scenario but if McGlone stays and Lewis County is healthy that could have been a good game as well. If McGlone is the coach right now, I see Russell's record at 4-4 or 3-5.
Either way, the Beasts from the East would have beaten Mcglone and are going to beat Maynard this Friday.
Ivan was still a lot more sharper than anyone on here gave him credit for!!! I played for him and it was not just the assistants doing all the work. Russell would have the exact same record. Ivan proved over the years that when he had the horses he knew how to make them run.
washed up Wrote:If the administration felt like it was in the best interest of the program to move forward, how should they have handled it?

He would've retired before he let them embarrass him like they did
Love Ivan. Love-Love-Love the man and played for him years ago. Up to his last year he would recall plays and mistakes I made years ago just like it was yesterday. Most fans go to the games or talk to him and say the man is still sharp...and he is. He is still very sharp but the program had gotten soooo soft. Show me one ex-player who has played let's say 15 years ago or more watch a practice of Russell's last year and I'm sure he would agree it was the right painful decision.
Thats the issue I had, was given the time, Ivan would have went out on his own terms, problem with that is, at some point you have to make a choice. The last few years with McGlone at the helm, there was alot of talk of "Next year....we will" or "we r young give it time" statements kept being made. Idk if Ivan would have ever retired. It was a bad situation and ahard one for all involved, but Im sure he's very proud of what his former Lineman is accomplishing. Russell is in good hands and I hope we are having conversations about TJ and Russell(positive of course) 20 yrs from now.
baseball1974 Wrote:He would've retired before he let them embarrass him like they did
From what I understand, he was given the opportunity to coach one final year and then retire. Would this not have been what you are asking for ?
washed up Wrote:From what I understand, he was given the opportunity to coach one final year and then retire. Would this not have been what you are asking for ?

From my understanding he tried to retire a year or two earlier but was talked out of it by someone in the administration. Then for his last year they wanted to parade him around at all the games and make a big deal of his retirement. If there's one thing Ivan don't like is the hype so he declined.
washed up Wrote:From what I understand, he was given the opportunity to coach one final year and then retire. Would this not have been what you are asking for ?

I've been very good friends with Ivan since before he started at Russell and I can tell you nothing hurt him worse than how they treated him. He tried several times to retire and the administration would always come back with more responsibility and things of that nature, and that's what happened with that last offer they gave him several years ago. They basically told him if he continued to coach that last year then his role would be downgraded to a sideline spectator. And remember he was still coaching under a previous agreement that was not yet up and he was going to retire when that was up and just like he always had, he was going to fulfill his agreement that he made. He was under the impression Russell would as well? Considering Ivan has forgotten more about football that most coaches will ever know in a lifetime, it was a complete lack of respect to have him sit and watch someone else do his job for a year.
So I'm confused? The school controlled Ivan? I didn't know a school system could decide when you could retire.