Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher County 28 Perry Central 22 Overtime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.

Perry almost scores in overtime but fumbles it at the goal line and ball rolls into the back of the endzone for a safety.

Letcher and Whitley will play for the district title at Letcher next Friday.
One of the craziest games I ever heard. Glad to get a win. One more and district is ours!
That's the way the ball bounces sometimes...
I'm confused though...

Why is it a safety if Perry fumbled into Letcher's endzone?
I assumed that would mean touchback and no 2-points.
And to everyone going on about people getting cooked at Perry.

If it was going to happen... it would have happened on that last play.

I believe the refs called a great game.
Big showdown with the Colonels on the horizon
zaga_fan Wrote:That's the way the ball bounces sometimes...
I'm confused though...

Why is it a safety if Perry fumbled into Letcher's endzone?
I assumed that would mean touchback and no 2-points.

Im just going off what Letchers radio guys said. I could be wrong, but I think it is a touchback as you said. What gets me is it was a 28-22 ball game, and according to them they gave the 2 points to Letcher so I don't know. Either way would have ended with the same result, but as you said, should have been a touchback.
Congrats Letcher.
Amis you have perry going in the right direction, hang in there.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im just going off what Letchers radio guys said. I could be wrong, but I think it is a touchback as you said. What gets me is it was a 28-22 ball game, and according to them they gave the 2 points to Letcher so I don't know. Either way would have ended with the same result, but as you said, should have been a touchback.

Correction, KHSAA has it 28-22 still.
Letchers radio guys must have been mistaken.
zaga_fan Wrote:And to everyone going on about people getting cooked at Perry.

If it was going to happen... it would have happened on that last play.

I believe the refs called a great game.

I have to agree. Thought the officiating tonight was good.
First the refs at the game called it a touchback. Second I thought the refs done a good job except when letcher fumbled in the fourth and perry got the football back (his knee was down I thought before he fumbled). And the last play of the game. Tobler for perry did fumble the ball but he was 2 yards in the end zone when he did and the ref that was standing there looked confused like he didn't know what was going on. He never made a signal either way
Nice win for Mike and his players. Get one more and win the Dist. Good Luck !!!!!
hitter Wrote:First the refs at the game called it a touchback. Second I thought the refs done a good job except when letcher fumbled in the fourth and perry got the football back (his knee was down I thought before he fumbled). And the last play of the game. Tobler for perry did fumble the ball but he was 2 yards in the end zone when he did and the ref that was standing there looked confused like he didn't know what was going on. He never made a signal either way

I don't know if the guy was new or what...
But you could tell he wasn't ready to make a game winning call lol

They talked it over and did the right thing.

As a Perry fan...
That play sums up this season.
They swing it out to Tobler and he makes kids miss, breaks tackles and drags a couple into the end zone...
But none of it mattered because the ball came out and bounced out of bounds on first down.
I just dont understand what happened on the last play. Can someone explain it completely so simple-minded people like me can understand, LOL!! If he fumbled into and through the end zone, it would have been a touchback. If he fumbled while in the end zone, it should have been a touchdown. Please explain just for my curiosity.
In American football, a touchback is a ruling which is made and signaled by an official when the ball becomes dead on or behind a team's own goal line (i.e., in an end zone) and the opposing team gave the ball the momentum, or impetus, to travel over or across the goal line.[1] Such impetus may be imparted by a kick, pass, fumble, or in certain instances by batting the ball. A touchback is not a play, but a result of events that may occur during a play. A touchback is the opposite of a safety with regard to impetus since a safety is scored when the defending team is responsible for the ball becoming dead on or behind its own goal line.

Examples of instances where a touchback would be awarded include when:
A kickoff or punt enters the end zone and becomes dead behind the goal line without being advanced beyond the goal line by a player of the receiving team. Thus, a player on the receiving team could attempt to advance the ball out of his own end zone, but the original impetus from the kick remains as long as the ball does not completely cross the goal line into the field of play. Note that if a kick is fielded by the receiving team in its end zone, is advanced beyond the goal line, and then the ball carrier retreats back into his own end zone where the ball is downed, it is a safety because the impetus would then be charged to the receiving team.
A kickoff or punt touches the ground in the receiving team's end zone before being touched by a player of the receiving team. However, in American football, the ball is considered live until it is downed by a member of the receiving team. If a kicked-off ball goes untouched into the end zone and then is recovered by a member of the kicking team, it's a touchdown for the kicking team.
A kickoff or punt goes out of bounds behind or over the receiving team's goal line.
A ball carrier fumbles the ball within the field of play forward into his opponents end zone and the loose ball then goes out of bounds behind or above his opponent's goal line or is recovered and downed by an opposing player in the end zone. The opposing team would be awarded the touchback.
A defensive player intercepts a forward pass in his own end zone and the ball becomes dead behind or over the goal line. Like the instance of a kickoff or punt fielded in an end zone, the intercepting player can attempt to advance the ball but it is still a touchback as long as the ball never completely crosses the goal line into the field of play before it is downed.
A blocked punt goes back into the end zone and the defensive team intentionally bats or kicks the ball out the back of the end zone. Offense must decline penalty.
Quickkickonthird Wrote:I just dont understand what happened on the last play. Can someone explain it completely so simple-minded people like me can understand, LOL!! If he fumbled into and through the end zone, it would have been a touchback. If he fumbled while in the end zone, it should have been a touchdown. Please explain just for my curiosity.

If you cross the goal line with the ball the play is immediately dead and a TD is awarded.

If you fumble it prior to going into the end zone and it goes out of bounds or is recovered by the defense a touchback is called and the defense gets the ball... but in this case it simply meant game over.

This was the wildest finish I may have ever seen.
Also...
Everyone knows that I don't hate on refs... and I think that talking it over was the right thing to do and I'm sure they got it right.

BUT the side judge that was on top of this play was simply in over his head.
Tobler got into the end zone and the ball rolled out of bounds without a call being made.

The guy didn't signal TD, he didn't throw the beanbag to signal a fumble, he didn't rule him down nor did he even blow his whistle to signal the play was over.

He froze and hopefully he's ready next time.
I would like to see a video on the play..
I didnt see the ball come out until he was in the end zone...

but I didn't see the ball until it hit the ground.

My initial thought of course was TD, but when I saw the ball and the ref didn't make a signal I figured I was not going to be happy with the outcome of this one lol
This most likely means that Perry will be heading to Pulaski County for the first round of the playoffs and that hasn't ended well for the Commodores in the past.
If I knew how to post video I would but the RB was short by 1 to 1 and 1/2 yards and clearly fumbled through the end zone. This game should not have been in overtime as LCC scored on 2 4th and longs earlier in the the game. If someone could tell me how I would post the final play and there would be no question as to what really happened.
Perry IMO out played LCC but congrats to LCC as they made the plays that matter and in the end points on the score board matter.
So close Commodores!